General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
if we go ai there's me, hubby & 2 girls 16 & 12 we use the ai of a daytime but mostly go out in the evenings to try the resturants and different bars. i suppose it depends on how much money you have to spend.
We always go out. We eat out go on trips etc. Sometimes we stay in the hotel during the day and go out in the evening and other times we go out after breakfast perhaps to a beach and take a picnic and then come back in time to have an evening meal.

AI isn't that much more expensive than SC in some places once you have paid under occupancy, and also its not much dearer than HB where they normally cane you for drinks prices as they know you are in the hotel for the evening meal.

It's purely a convenience thing for us I hate having a purse at the pool to buy drinks for the kids and thinking if I want to go for a swim where is it etc, have I got to wear one of those (totally not Euro chic :rofl plastic things round my neck like a St Bernard)

I like that all four of us can swim together without worrying whose looking after the money.

The general facilities, pools, amounts of sun chairs, gardens, places to get a drink are in a different league to your average block of self catering apartments, which often at best are 'basic'.

Even if an AI is isolated you can still get out and about on trips or take local taxis or public transport or hire a car.

I went to an AI in the middle of nowhere in Crete, had a fantastic holdiay and saw lots of the Island, but still felt we got good value from the AI bit.

Its like everything else in life though it depends on how much money you wish to spend
  • Edited by doe 2009-05-11 10:37:41
We do a bit of both Linzi. We usually eat at the hotel, then go out for a walk & perhaps call for a drink, before returning to the hotel for the entertainment. We usually go on just the one organised trip, as they can be expensive. We're not really beach people - preferring the pool area, but we do go a few times - especially if its in the Caribbean. As has been said, I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend. I don't normally like paying for extra meals out, when I've already paid for meals at the hotel
thanks for the replys, some good ideas, i like the thought of maybe if we went to the beach in the day then eat in the hotel at night and if we stay by the pool in the day then prehaps go out to a restraunt at night, and also having a wander after your meal at the hotel then return for the entertainment. it is true it all comes down to money! i think we will do a mixture of the above and possibly a trip, were going with fiances mum etc so we will see what they like to do too, they did mention the water park today so we may head there one of the days!
i agree doepsmc those things around your neck are not euro chic at all! :rofl
Hi, we like to do all inclusive as for the 6 of us to decide where to eat and find something everyone would like would be a nightmare. We do tend to stay put for most of the holiday, although last time we went away we visited a waterpark, went just after breakfast and came back in time for tea. Usually we also get the local bus into the main towns and have a look round.

I just love the way the kids can go and get their own drinks and snacks and you don't have to keep handing out money to them.
We always go AI, but we also tend to be out & about every couple of days or so, plus we do eat out a few times as well. We view AI as a convenience, not as a "ball & chain", keeping us "trapped" in the hotel :)
I like the fact I don't have to carry my wallet down to the pool (or even the beach, in some cases) just in case anyone wants a :cheers or two. Actually, because most of the expenses are covered, we find we have more money for days out, etc., than we would if we were paying for every meal & every drink. We also find we are all much more relaxed on holiday now, compared to our days before AI, I guess because we don't NEED to go out anywhere if we don't feel like it, and we're not alwas concerned about how much money we have left & whether it will be enough.
I agree not having to worry whether you have enough money to last your entire holiday. Knowing your food, drink and entertainment is all paid for before you go allows you to spend money on trips, the odd meal out. Its nice to go out and explore the towns and stop off for a few drinks if you want to. AI definately makes for a more relaxing holiday.
We like to go AI when on holiday. However, we like to go out and about to, think I would go stir crazy if I stayed on the complex 24/7 :D . Like the other posters have said it is nice for the kids to be able to go and get stuff for themselves and not have to carry money with you but it is also nice to get out and sample the local towns, cafes, waterparks, shops etc. We use it very much as a base and decide day to day what we are going to do. On our last holiday to the HV Algarve we were amazed and saddened to notice the same families glued to the same sunbeds at the pool outside our apartment for the whole length of their holiday. The children never went anywhere and the younger ones were even put down to sleep on the sunbeds. Each to their own I know but what experience of Portugal did these children get? They could have been anywhere.
At the end of the day, I suppose it all depends on what you originally paid for your holiday, & what your budget is. I remember many years ago, we had the choice of going AI & staying put, or going without a holiday. I would imagine in these days of the credit crunch the same applies to many families.
One of the reasons why we prefer all inclusive hotels is for the atmosphere at night.
We find that in some bed and breakfast/half board hotels, guests
choose to leave the hotel in the evening to drink in the local bars rather than pay
the hotel's high prices thus making the place too quiet.
With all inclusive hotels, they expect guests to stay around the hotel more at night so
they usually lay on a full nights entertainment.
Also, you are meeting up with people you or your children had chatted to around
the pool or on the beach during the day which makes it more friendly and sociable!

For the people who say they would go stir crazy, so would we if I had to eat in the same
restaurant every night - my advice is to try an all inclusive hotel that has several
themed restaurants. Mexican, Asian, Fish, Italian and Spanish! Yummy!!!!!!!
for years we went SC in mobile homes in spain.....and tenting in wales every chance we got....though I loved my hols....really got a buzz watching the kids enjoying themselves and having fun with them.....I always came home happy but knackerd after the shopping cooking and cleaning while away....and worrying about if we were taking enough money....how much it cost to eat and drink out..

this year we are going for a week A1 ....me hubby and the 2 sons still at home....to celebrate hubbies 50th ( shhhh he dont know yet ).....as going rhodes to another sons wedding only a month after his 50th I was on a tight buget as couldnt overspend due to paying balance for rhodes ....was going to use caravan for a cheapy this year untill realised was his 50th this year ...

A1 was obvious answer....once booked it suddenly dawned on me ....this will be my first real proper holiday

no shopping for food drinks ect
no cooking or preparing meals
no dishes to do
no cleaning or tidying up as maids ect to do it
only beach towels to pack
no thinking Im depriving the kids of something If I have a drink
hubby can be happily sozzled all day not just on his birthday and I wont be worrying about the cost
wont be getting pestered all day for money for drinks snacks ect

so if you see a woman nicely merry with her feet dangling in the pool....looking like she's died and gone to heaven...it will be me

will have a rude awakening when I get back home
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.