Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Air Transat
47 Posts
Muzzy

It looks as though tea, coffee, soft drinks and juices are all free :D

More details and prices for snacks etc on this page -

http://www.airtransat.ca/en/4_11.asp

Hope this helps
Graham
hiya
does anyone know what sort of headphones you can use onboard Air Transat.

i know that they sell their own headphones, however i wondered if you can use your own, or if you need one of those special adaptor things to plug them into the planes socket.

Also are juice and tea and coffee included with your flight meal, i know you have to pay for soft drinks and alcoholic drinks, wasn't sure about juice though.

Thankyou

Muzzy

Hi i flew Air Transat to toronto in december, im pretty sure you can use your own headsets, as i can remeber it being a twin adaptor. Even if you got to buy the headsets there only £1 or CAN$ 2. Tea/Coffee/Water & Soft Drinks are free throughout the flight. you can buy snack and alcohol, and prices are not too bad. If you want more info let me know.
Air Transat are launching direct flights from Heathrow to Toronto Pearson airport for Summer 2007. Flights will operate Sat & Sun from London on Airbus A310 aircraft in a two class configuration. Flights will run from 12th May to 27 October.

Canadian Affair/Air Transat for more
Does anyone know if Air Transaat are connected to Thomas Cook now ?

I ask because my s-i-l thinks they may have amalgamated?

Kath
Many thanks

Kath
Has anyone flown from Newcastle with Air Transat? I have read some rviews and they are almost all pretty grotty. The seats appear to be very narrow and the company claim 32" pitch. If they are as bad as that I was considering upgrading to Club Class, anyone done that?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jim
Thanks Darren,
I had seen the reviews on Airquality, which was why I was worried. The ones on Car Survey were a bit better but would still like to hear from anyone on this forum. Cheers again.

Jim
We were due to travel to Toronto a couple of years ago with Thomas Cook/Canadian Affair but on arrival at Birmingham we were informed by Thomas Cook that there was an indefinite delay of at least 14 hours. Most people accepted the offer of a hotel for the wait but we were determined to get to Toronto that day and found there were two other flights to Toronto. One of these was an Air Transat flight and although it was fully booked we were offered standby seats. Luckily for us someone turned up without their passport and two seats became available in Club Class, which we eagerly accepted as a free upgrade! I can't speak for the economy section but the Club Class was excellent - plenty of room, choice of IFE, choice of meals and wide variety of drinks. We were very impressed and would definitely travel using Air Transat again, but would probably upgrade.
Cazzholly,

Thanks for the info, I think if we use them we will certainly be upgrading.

Jim
Have mentioned this on the Thomas Cook thread as they alternate flights to Calgary with Air Transat on a Canadian Affair travel operator deal. But I thought it deserved its own topic.

I flew TC to Calgary recently and had a very good experience. My sister flew with Air Transat (from Gatwick to Calgary) and said it was dreadful. They had crammed the seats in 9 across, and the food was totally inedible. Plus when the person in front reclined their seat it came back so far it knocked her son's meal into his lap. She says avoid Air Transat if you possibly can.

Honeyrose
With respect, unless it's a first hand experience, I don't think you should be advising people to avoid certain airlines.

For a start, 9-across is standard in charter A330s. Your Thomas Cook A330 would have also been 9 across. As for the meal, well I don't know about anybody else, but unless I were to be flying business class, I won't choose my airline by how nice the meal is. Airline meals can also be very hit and miss, with only one or two options, some will like it some won't. I know I will usually end up with 3 or 4 meals on one flight, picking up everything that the other members of the party don't like.

I can't see anything within your account that would make me want to avoid flying with Air Transat, and from what I've seen personally, they are a punctual airline which offer a reasonably decent service.
I agree with Steve, the majority of airlines including major scheduled ones have very cramped seating and a meal ending up in someones lap could happen on any plane where a passenger was bad mannered enough to recline their seats whilst the passenger behind was still eating. I fly with different airlines many times each year and meals on flights are at best acceptable but rarely enjoyable, on my last flight with a 5* rated scheduled airline one of the meals was inedible.
I accept accounts should only be first hand but we flew out the next day with the same company Canadian Affair on a chartered Thomas Cook airbus and clearly had a much better experience. My sister travels a LOT and can eat pretty much anything but she said the Air Transat meal was so bad the stewardess actually apologised to her. And on our TC flight refitted airbus we sat at the rear where the seats were in fact 2-3-2. And we got a good meal and comfortable seats. I think there was a particular problem on the Air Transat flight because it is a smaller plane (a DC10 maybe?) which means all the seats have to be narrower. TC updated their fleet of Airbuses on this route only this year to make the seats wider as well as having more leg room. We went out on a refitted airbus with wider leather seats and no retractable arm rest and came back on a refitted airbus with upholstered seats and retractable arm rests but both had 32 inch seat pitch.

I have mentioned it as if you book your flight with Canadian Affair, depending on which day you go you may get a Thomas Cook plane or an Air Transat plane and there does seem to be a qualititive difference. For example there is back of the seat IFE on the Thomas Cook flights but still the overhead screens on the Air Transat fleet.

Would anyone like to comment on the different seat widths on the two airlines flights to Canada/Calgary?
Have just had a look round the internet and found a reference to the seat width on Air Transat as follows:

Quote removed

(I imagine my sister travelled on the 330-200 - she came back on the larger TC airbus in Premium class after her outbound experience with AT so cannot make a direct comparison with seat pitches etc.) The width of the seats on Air Transat, does seem to be a recurring complaint by economy class passengers on flights between the UK and Canada. That and the meals. So I don't think it hurts to point out, as they code share with Thomas Cook air, if you select your day to fly carefully you should, at least as an economy passenger, have a better experience with Thomas Cook on flights to and from Canada.
  • Edited by David 2008-09-07 22:18:41
    This post has been edited for copyright reasons
Just wondered will we get off the plane and then continue to Newcastle ? Has anyone any experience of this ?
blackcat1,

Who are your flying with? What are your flight details? Are you going with Air Transat (Canadian Affair)? It's a strange routing operating the flight via Exeter, it's miles out of the way and at 2,083m long, the runway is bearly big enough to handle an A310! I would expect you'll be allowed off the aircraft if the stop is 2 hours, but don't quote me on that.

Darren
It is Air Transat flight ts183 , airbus 310.
I was checking the flight details this morning re the stopover and noticed that it is 2 hours , I hope we can get off and have a leg stretch and a coffee as it would be awfull just sat there for 2 hours on the runway.
I know it's a bit of a hassle but for what I paid for the flights it's well worth putting up with.
alison
  • Edited by David 2008-09-15 16:21:51
    Merged with Air Transat topic
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.