Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
You should always allow 2 hours before your flight for check in. However if you're travelling alone and running later - then you can cut it fine and check in around 45 minutes latest before the flight. The thing to remember is that the queues are sometimes long and if you're late getting there - you might be panicking in the queue.

We got to the airport over 2 hours before our Swissair flight last year and spent an hour in the check in queue and only just had time to get to the plane. :o
ok
and its easter saturday! I'll get an earlier train!

Don't care about coming back!

And yes I'm travelling alone.
If you only have hand luggage you can use the self checkin machines, takes two minutes, I did two weeks ago,

Dave
Hubby has just booked us to fly with Lufthansa to visit daughter in UAE. Going from Edinburgh and changing at Frankfurt.
Anyone have any experience of either Lufthansa or Frankfurt airport?
Thanks in advance.
I have flown with Lufthansa approx twice a year for the last 20years, they are a reasonably good airline, usually very efficient and punctual. Though like a lot of other airlines these days the seating is pretty cramped. The food is a bit of a hit and miss affair, I've had good meals but also some really bad ones. You shouldn't have any problems flying with them. Check out http://www.Airlinequality.com for reviews on their flights.
Frankfurt Airport, well you either love it or hate it, I don't like it and try to avoid it if at all possible, it is huge and sprawling. Lots of shops, not enough areas to sit down other than in cafes and often officious employees. It's not that bad really. But then Heathrow can be also be a nightmare.
Enjoy your holiday.
Frankfourrt Airport is a very nice modern new Airport compared to Heathrow.

The last poster described Lufthansa to a T.

All alcoholic drinks are free with Lufthansa. They also serve Baileys or Brandy after your dinner in economy.

Only downside is no PTV in your seats.

I found the air attendants to be very nice to me.

It was like would you like another beer (not would you like another drink)

I was also offerered another breakfast by the air attendent in the morning which the person sitting next to me wasn't.

But I would fly with them again if the right fare came up.

Have a good flight.

The Air attendents will be able to tell you where to go to catch your next flight.
Frankfourrt Airport is a very nice modern new Airport compared to Heathrow.

The last poster described Lufthansa to a T.

All alcoholic drinks are free with Lufthansa. They also serve Baileys or Brandy after your dinner in economy.

Only downside is no PTV in your seats.

I found the air attendants to be very nice to me.

It was like would you like another beer (not would you like another drink)

I was also offerered another breakfast by the air attendent in the morning which the person sitting next to me wasn't.

But I would fly with them again if the right fare came up.

Have a good flight.

The Air attendents will be able to tell you where to go to catch your next flight.
On our flight with Lufthansa I was suprised to see that they do not supply extension safety belts for those flying with infants. Just told parents to hold onto the child on their laps.
Thanks for your replies.
No PTV's isn't a concern, neither are the child seat belts.
The legroom might be a concern for hubby, but being a grumpy old man he'd find something to moan about anyway! :wink
I'm not sure I'm looking forward to Frankfurt Ariport though. It sounds a bit daunting, reading the reviews on the Airline Quality website! :roll:
Lufthansa will fly from Bristol Airport to their hub of Frankfurt from the end of March 2008.

In order to catch business and leisure travellers looking for onward connections, flights shall be 3 times daily.

Not sure of equipment to be used but I suspect CRJ's or RJ's are most likely. Hopefuly Munich will follow!

Nivsy
Not posted under the Lufthansa thread - as this "side line" from Lufthansa is a little gem. Just flown Heathrow-Milan-Heathrow with the carrier and what a delight to have good old fashioned service again. Eatable food (not hot), chocolates, cookies and cakes, moist hand towels and wine from proper glasses (beer served in plastic cups) with friendly and efficient, English, Italian and German speaking crew on the Airbus 319. Mix that with "proper" bag drop off facility - 23kg of free luggage, checkin on line or through the machines at the airport, all with seat choice (similar to regular Lufthansa services) and its a winner in my book.

Ok prices might fluctuate but I got all this for just under 50 pound return......and Milan was looking very well during the weekend....

Nivsy
My parents are flying out from Heathrow to Milan tomorrow morning (Sat 12th Sept) at 0850, so I've just contacted Lufthansa to pre-book their emergency exit seats. I originally requested row 9 as the SeatGuru website indicates that this is indeed the row immediately adjacent to the emergency exits..........but Lufthansa insist that row 10 is the extra legroom row (Airbus 319)!

Can someone please clarify this for me.............I did question Lufthansa, but at the same time I'm also relying on Seat Guru's website.

Many thanks in advance!

Andy
Lufthansa will start operations from Frankfurt to Aberdeen from October 2011.

Nivsy
They are also going to be operating from Gatwick soon .
yep from 30th October I believe.

Nivsy
Lufthansa have done a deal with Germanwings to share routes (the phrase "price fixing" springs to mind.....) and it affects some UK routes.

As of 20th February Lufthansa's Stuttgart-Heathrow flights will be operated by Germanwings instead (with code share) and from a later date in the summer so will Stuttgart-Manchester.

This may be good news for those paying but business travellers used to Lufthansa in flight service may be disappointed.

http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-releases/singleview/archive/2011/december/14/article/2046.html
I flew with Germanwings to Portugal from Stuttgart this year and if they are using the same planes for the Heathrow run there will be an option for Business Travellers. There were two seperate parts to the plane the seats in the front section had more leg room and for a supplement you could book a package to include the extra leg room seats, one item of checked luggage and a sandwich and drink. Not quite Business Class but a good and not too expensive alternative to a normal budget airline flight. We were highly satisfied with this service and will probably use it again on any future flights.

Seats could be pre-booked and there was an online check in service.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.