Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I remember you planning the trip, and can't wait to hear more especially the trip to Hampi, I'm the same India and Goa will never loose their magic for me :)
x lassi
Welcome home mardon, looking forward to your report.Hope your girlfriend enjoyed herself. Gel
Welcome back Mardon I too cant wait to hear about your trip to Hampi who did you go with and what hotel did you stay in ?its just that we will be going in the next week or so and you can tell me where is best to see and go .....colleen
She loved the holiday! Was nearly in tears on the plane coming back because she didn't wanna come home!

Hampi was the most amazing place I have ever been! I stayed in the bazaar in a guest house called Rocky's. It was 600rs a night and was perfectly adequate for our needs. Over my birthday I stayed at Hampi's boulders for 2 nights. Its very expensive at 6000rs a night but this includes food and transfers too and from the train station and the ferry drop for the durration of your stay. I'll include more information and pics in my report. If you can stretch to it Hampi's boulders is a magical place!!
I went to Hampi last year - and found it amazing.

I stayed at the Hotel Privadashini close by in Hospet. Interesting place, you share the rooms with lots of cockroaches (the really big granddad size ones which aren't scared of you at all!) there's no hot water, you can watch the waiters fist fighting behind the bar, and the hotel has taken policies about minimising laundry damage to the environment to the extreme - by expecting guests to use bloodstained, unwashed bedding belonging to previous occupants. Do NOT examine the mattress on the bed, you will not sleep! It truly is the hotel from hell.

However if you get up before dawn, and go to the hilltop to watch the rising sun turn all the Hampi temples that unique "Indian Light" pink colour - you will be blown away. It makes the long train journey and dreadful accommodation worthwhile. I've never seen anything like it, and I've travelled a lot of this wonderful planet. I find it difficult to find words to describe the feeling of complete awe seeing hundreds of wonderful temples in the weird boulder strewn landscape.
All the other folk there were, like me, struck silent by the scene - so lovely it puts a lump in your throat, it's one I don't think I'll ever forget.
However if you get up before dawn, and go to the hilltop to watch the rising sun turn all the Hampi temples that unique "Indian Light" pink colour - you will be blown away. It makes the long train journey and dreadful accommodation worthwhile. I've never seen anything like it, and I've travelled a lot of this wonderful planet. I find it difficult to find words to describe the feeling of complete awe seeing hundreds of wonderful temples in the weird boulder strewn landscape.
All the other folk there were, like me, struck silent by the scene - so lovely it puts a lump in your throat, it's one I don't think I'll ever forget.

That sounds absolutely fantastic - a definite for next trip.

By the way, welcome home Mardon,glad you had a great trip
Cx
good to hear your GF enjoyed Goa as much as you. Perhaps we will hear from her too :)
I'll give her a nudge to get on and give her view. She wrote a diary while we were there too.

Finding it hard to find time to give the holiday the report it deserves at the moment. (Every spare min is taken up with assignments as the moment).

I'll post a few pics up for now.
North Goa and Images http://img26.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=cimg2108.jpg

The flight from Manchester was on time and we left promptly on the Thomas Cook light direct to Dambolim airport. The flight was more comfortable than the usual Monarch one. Unfortunately they didn't pack enough head sets for everyone to use the seat back entertainment. The 8 or so hours seemed to take forever as I was so excited.

I hadn't pre-booked a hotel. This was a big mistake. We arrived in Goa at 3.30am. Immigration was horrible and unfriendly as usual. Hopped in a taxi and paid 650rs Calangute. We arrive at the Church at around 4am. The driver told me we where there. Help me out with the bags and drove off!! Luckily I know my way around but Rachel was not a happy bunny to be traipsing down a dark unlit road with bags on her back and front like a pack horse! (Don't worry I was carrying the same amount). As you know the phrase "Hello taxi??" is very common in the BCC area. Could we find a taxi when we needed one?? Could be balls! The first group of people we saw asked me if I wanted drugs.. I was not really taken aback as I'd seen it all before but I could tell Rachel was very unsettled. I decided to get into the first place we came too. It was called Linder's. There were acting pretty shady and said we could stay from 4am to 11am and we then had to check out. They wanted 1500rs. Unfortunately as Rach was so upset I decided to pay up so we could get a little sleep and try again in the morning.

At 11am sharp we were up and out. To help Rach slip into Goan life a little easier I decided to try and get in at the Marina Dourada in Arpora. Due to the area being so quiet I managed to get the rate down from 4500rs to 2500rs a night. The rooms were nice and clean and I slept well with proper beading and the air con on cool. The grounds and Hotel were very clean and all the staff and guests were very friendly. We stayed here for a total of 6 or so night between travelling round Goa. They were quite happy to watch our bags when we went to hampi too. I rented a moped of a man called Sham (Taxi driver out front) for a rate or 250rs a day. He gave me a nice new bike as he saw I would be carrying my girlfriend on the back.

It took Rach the usual 3 days to fall in love with Goa.

Baga beach
I stayed mostly at Bistro's shack where the food is good and i'v know the shack lads for years. They were all suffering from the rather drastic drop in business. Nevertheless they were still friendly and would often sit and just chat and catch up. I met up with the usual group of long term stayers who have been coming to Goa for years. We went on a day trip to Maharashtra to the Reddy fort on the bikes. The trip up was amazing. I love the cool breeze and the jaw dropping views from the costal and bridge roads. It was a great day and we called in at Arambol on the way back.

Arambol
Seemed busyer and still had the layed back hippy vibe. Its a cool place and I enjoyed the short time I spent there. We went to the fresh water lake. I could not belive how busy it was!! I used to like it there as we usually have it too ourselves.

More to follow:

Palolem, Kola, Hampi & Wildernest
Great report, looking forward to the rest.Lovely photo's. :cheers gel
great report mardon, waiting for the next installment...glad you had a great time
chilly
Trying to find a better place to host pic's because I really have some good ones this year. Flickr requires a yahoo account. Any other suggestions?

Got some good little vid's too.
Try photobucket, its easy to use

Maria
Wow it really is!

Thanks. Ok here is my choice of the North Goa Photo's. I have loads more for other area's and i'll upload them with the report as I go.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/mardon85/North%20Goa%202009/?albumview=slideshow
great photos - thanks for sharing
Excellant pics Mardon, thanks for sharing.
looking forward to the next instalment of your report as i am interested on how Khola beach was as i may take a trip there soon :)
Fab photos

Thanks for sharing

Maria
Brill photos Mardon I cant wait to go there myself only 8 days for me now :cheers :cheers I will be on looking for more of your report Its very good ...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.