Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Many thanks for the report. I'm glad the area didn't disappoint.

luci :wave
Thanks a lot Puddleduck for all that very useful info. Sounds just my kind of place: enough to do & see/plenty of places to eat ( restaurants sound great!) without being overly spoilt.
Can't wait ...only 2 weeks to go.
Was in Ronda about 20 years ago & agree it is really worth seeing. Won't be going there this time but have taken note of your other recommendations.
Can I just ask how to 'did' Granada? Did you book online before departure from UK?
We will have a hire car but my 'driver' isn't that keen to drive to Granada. Is it a big town/city?
Did you notice any organised trips from Nerja or do you think it's better being independent?

I've been checking regularly for your report & it didn't disappoint! Loads of helpful info for HT memebers.
Thanks Again :tup
Hi there,

I can't day I noticed any trips being advertised in Nerja, but that's probably because we didn't need them as we had a hire car the whole time. There is a tourist office near the Balcon de Europa though so I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

Granada is an incredibly easy drive from Nerja. My hubby drove there and I drive back. The roads are good and it's well sign posted. Follow the signs from Nerja on the motorway towards Motril, you'll then see signs for Granada and you just need to follow them, eventually you'll start to see the signs for the Alhambra and if you follow them they take you straight to the massive car park at the Alhambra. From there you can walk into town like we did so it means that you're not hassled by having to drive in the city centre.
You must book your Alhambra tickets before you go as they only allow a certain number of visitors per day. We chose an afternoon visit so we didn't have to rush to get up and away from Nerja early in the morning, giving us plenty of time to get there and to see something of the town beforehand. I used the instructions under an excellent post on Trip Advisor, it's recently been updated under this link here - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187441-i416-k2293934-Booking_Alhambra_Tickets_Through_Servicaixa_Revised_Oct_6-Granada_Granada_Province_Andalusia.html

Let me know if you need anything else.
Ok you've convinced me! :tup ............we've decided to drive. As long as sign-posting is good there shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again for all the useful advice.
No problem. I hope you enjoy the trip. Allow about an hour and a half to get there.
sounds like an idyllic holiday. Great report :)
Lovely report Puddleduck. It's over forty years since I was last in Nerja, your report has made me want to visit again.

Judith
thats the thing about reading reports - I keep wanting to go there as well :)
thats the thing about reading reports

That's why my 'places to visit' list keeps getting bloomin' longer ;)
Well, we've been & are back.
Can't really add much to Puddleduck's excellent comprehensive report. Loved Nerja & thought it retained quite a Spanish feel despite the many British & other foreigners living there.
Alhambra was definitely worth the visit as were the caves. Was a bit disappointed in Frigliana...very nice but didn't think it was outstanding.
Lots of good restaurants in Nerja to choose from. In addition to Puddleduck's recommendations I'd recommend Scarletta's & if you're staying at the Burriana Beach end of town you must try the Burriana Property Cafe which doubles up as an estate agents during the day. Food excellent & very friendly service. The best meal & value to be had!
I'd be very happy to return to Nerja ;)
Hi Puddleduck. Just been reading your reviews above. Wondering if you could help me with some info re the Torresol Apartments you rented whilst in Nerja.
My wife and I are considering booking there and basically we're looking for some re assurance that the vendor (sarah McNulty) is the real deal? Been looking for independant reviews but yours, so far, is the only recent one i can find (all other a few years old).

Thanks in advance for any advice/ information you can pass on.

DeeC
Hi Dee,

I'm afraid we didn't use Sarah so I can't comment. This is the one I booked - http://www.thisisnerja.com/rentals/nerja108/index.php
Any owner should be prepared to put you in touch with previous guests so ask if you are unsure. I'd posted on a TA forum before we went and were told that some of those apartments are owner occupied and some rentals aren't as modernised as others but I can hand on heart say that the photos on the website were exactly what we found when we got there. The pool area is private and you need a key to get in which stops non-guests getting in. There aren't any sun loungers though but the ones on the beach are lovely and comfortable and the guy who rents them was very friendly.

You don't say what time of year you are going but if it's high season you will struggle to find parking right outside as there isn't much space (we were lucky as we went in October) but we read before we went that parking overall is a problem in Nerja.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.