Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
re Bali
you may want something a bit busier than Sanur. Have you thought about Kuta- depends what you want from nightlife. You can pick a busier resort and still set out to see Bali during the day.
Malaysia
KL- I'll let others answer as, if you read my report, it isn't my favourite Far East city.
Have been to Penang- not sure if that is what you would like because we stayed away from the beach due to jellyfish problems. Loved Penang itself though :D
What about Singapore/Bali?
Sanur has never had a reputation for being very lively, more of an area well known for Brits and Europeans (particularly Dutch) I believe it's picked up a bit but still not how it used to be.
We stayed at the lovely Puri Santrian in June (weather was fabulous) and thought Sanur was ok, not buzzing but certainly not a ghost town. We are staying at her sister hotel the Griya Santrian in March/April 08 because it's more central... again the Griya gets good reviews.
You might like to consider Legian, Kuta or Tuban. These three areas have melded into one these days and it's hard to know where one starts and the other stops. Seminiyak is a bit further past Legian and has more up market hotels, the nearby designer clothing shops cater for the big spending Japanese and Europeans. You'll find the cheap and cheerful Aussies in the markets buying board shorts and t-shirts... I'm allowed to say that because I'm one myself :wink: )
We enjoy a mix of Legian and Sanur. Legian has heaps of restaurants within spitting distance... you never have to eat in the same place twice unless you want to. Check out this link to Wikimapia
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=-8.697763&lon=115.186307&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2
drag the page left over to Kuta area and right for Sanur.
A really nice hotel in Ubud is the Tegal Sari and it get fabulous reviews on tripadvisor. We know people that go every year to chill out for a few days. You can book direct with the owners by email. They are very prompt.
Another good website with valuable information for a newbie to Bali is
http://www.filosbali.net/index.htm
Happy reading and hope this helps.
Cheers Geri
Thanks for the replies, the trouble is "far east forum" has opened a whole new chapter, now also looking at Vietnam, I suppoose thats the purpose of the site though :)

Mids
thats the great thing about holidays- exploring all the possibilities :D Have been to Saigon and loved it- we will be returning to try Hanoi sometime.
To be honest I don't know if Malaysia would suit if its lively your after. The busiest resort Penang is an interesting island to visit but in comparison to other resorts in other countries not super lively. Other Malaysian resorts like Langkawi, Kuantan, Pangkor are pretty sleepy in comparison. Its a good country to multi centre though maybe taking in a national park or hill station as well as city and beach.

KL's fine with enough to do for a two or three day stopover, with good hotels and shopping thrown in.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.