Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Halkidiki
41 Posts
Hi, we stayed in Polycrono so can't help with the studios but try this website if no-one posts a reply on here - http://www.halkidiki.com.
I used it loads before we went last year and got a lot of information on their message board.

Dawn
thanks for that info Dawn will definetly come in handy.
Ady.
8) Dont know if its too late but just returned from Pefkohori Aeollos Apt brilliant area 10m sea front all bars etc. Apts were very clean and spacious. The owners are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We shall be returning in 2006 as we already have commitments for 2005.

**Edited font - please do not post in CAPS on the forum, thanks. Kath HT Admin**
Where in Halkidiki, It covers 100s of square miles of Greece !
Hi ouzo,
Its in Hanioti the Kassandra peninsular.
Any information will be greatly received.

Thanks
Hi we stayed in Pefkohori this year which was okay, but visited Hanioti. We liked the idea that it was pedestrians only in the main square on a night. This meant you could wander around without having to worry about cars behind you, as in Pekohori. The main square atmosphere was very good with lots of places to eat and drink. If we went back to Halkidiki we would perhaps think of looking at Hanioti to stay. We have to say that in general the prices did seem a little higher (more especially the drinks).
Hanioti can be a tad more expensive as it is one of the more popular resorts. Also, prices can depend on the time of year. Anyone going self catering and on a family budget, don't be put off though. Look for the big yellow supermarkets allocated on most main roads, great prices and good selection of foods. And anyone wondering about weather,for a change I stayed last two week of the season this year weather fantastic came home wi th a tan. :oops:
Hello.

We are considering halkidiki for honeymoon this sept 2005 (never been to Greece or any Greek islands) - any comments on best resorts or best hotels - or any comments on not a ideal honeymoon resort ?!

Thanks
Have a look at Santorini- it is the honeymoon island! Have been to Hanioti in Halkidiki but it is was some time ago so I can't give you any help really!My favourite place in Greece is Lindos in Rhodes but I did not stay in 4 or 5 star accomodation. It is beautiful though.
We had our honeymoon in Fourka in Halkidiki in 2004 and absolutely loved the place. The couple next to us were also on honeymoon. Fourka is a beautiful resort, much nicer than hanioti. The beach is superb though it is slightly rocky on the way into the sea, but buy yourselves a pair of jelly shoes from the local supermarkets, you may look a prat but at least it doesn't hurt your feet. I would recommend stopping in the Arisitidis & Kanelis Apartments through Thomsons, we stayed there and they are very clean and modern apartments. The restaurants in Fourka are excellent too, The Australia did the best fresh octopus i have ever tasted!
We stayd in Polycrono in Halikidiki and that was a nice place.

Dawn
halkidiki is ok but there are far better places in europe for a honeymoon
Thank you for :P all the info, we are now looking at Aghios Nikolaos in Crete, any ideas?
Has anyone been to the island of Halki, off the west coast of Rhodes?

It looks beautiful in the Direct Greece brochure and my wife and I are thinking of going next year.

Just wondered if we do go if anyone thinks two weeks might be too much due to it being very quiet and remote?

We have been to Rhodes on two occasions and stayed in Pefkos, which is lovely, but we may well decide to have a twin centre holiday (depending on the replies to this post) with a week in Lindos and a week in Halki.
I'd definitely recommend the twin centre option. :D
Spend a week in Halki winding down and then a week visiting your favourite spots on Rhodes.

Halki is a beautiful, friendly island but very small and extremely quiet in comparison to Rhodes. Though there is good standard accommodation available it is mostly in small studios and pensions, when i visited there was no pool type complexes (such as those in Pefkos or above Lindos). Did you visit Symi during your holiday in Pefkos? If so think Symi without the hordes of daytrippers.

Personally i think Halki for two weeks is ok for the 'waiting for god' or 'grecophile' crowd but could be a little boring.
Thanks for your opinions of Halki.

Yes I have been to Symi. We went for the day from Rhodes town which we enjoyed very much but as you say, not suitable for a two week holiday.

Looks likely we'll go for the twin centre holiday
Chalki is not at all remote, there are daily ferries from Kamiros Skala and about 3/week from Rhodes town. It is totally dominated by a couple of british package companies which does give it a rather odd atmosphere. Thus in a way not entirely different to Lindos but very much quieter.

There is very little in Chalki to see as such, it does have one decent beach and a good selection of restaurants for it's size, sort of a mini Symi. :oops: There are great views from an old castle behind the ruined Hora a mile or so up from the port. :D

Definately go for the two centre. (tip take the ferry to Kassos :tup rather than Chalki).
I went to Halki about 10 years ago - I'm afraid that I only managed 2 nights. Very pretty town, but felt like a middle class tourist zoo! Go to Tilos or Nissyros instead!
I can see you are looking at Crete now but I loved Halkidiki. Great beaches, lots to do yet still quite a chilled out place. Plus you are not far from Thessaloniki (Greece's second largest city) which is a great place, nice shops and restaurants and loads of coffee shops down by the water.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.