Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Katie

In case you haven't seen them we have reviews http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/caribbean/dominican-republic/punta-cana/gran-bahia-principe-punta-cana-hotel/

While you're waiting for others to reply do try a search as you'll find most of what you need to know in existing topics :wink:

Pippy :D
hi katie
firstly me and my hubby love the dominican republic we're off again next week for the 4th time. we go twice a year.
ok travel adapters the dom rep uses two pin sockets and you don't need voltage converters. we take us dollars when we go we don't take travellers cheques. we've never been in december we go in may and november and the weather is very much the same for both months. make sure you take plenty of sunblock i'm dark skinned and this is the only place i've ever had sunburn!!! take plenty of insect repellant and the best cream for any bites is hydrocortisone which you can get at your local pharmacy. your excursions can be booked through the hotel or your holiday rep we've never been on any trips in punta cana only done trips in the north puerto plata but booked ours through our rep. make sure you take all your medical supplies etc as this is very expensive if you buy it out there. i'm sure you will have a fantastic time the dominican people are wonderful if there's anymore you want to know then i'm happy to help
have a great holiday
louise x
Hi, thanks to both of you for your swift replies!
Re the adapter plugs, thats great as i have that type so dont need to buy more... phew!
Do most people just take dollars? No pesos at all?
We only took cash to Cuba with us and although i was worried sometimes carrying it with us it was much easier!
I am well stocked up on SPF 50, 30 & 15, i dont burn normally just get a nice tan but learned a hard (and painful) lesson in Cuba about the carribean sun!
I have some tropical/jungle strengh insect repellent, its the jungle formula brand, but found that i still got bitten with this on in Cuba, however the other half didnt get a single bite, i must taste better!

Something else that i have thought of is the small gifts that i am taking for the locals, so far i have bought LOADS of pens, pencils, notepads, rubbers, rulers etc. Also went to tesco in their summer sale and bought a dozen kids t-shirts, vest tops, sun hats etc for no more than 75p per item! Ranging in age from 18mnths through to 8 yrs. What else do the locals need and like to receive?? Any help on that score would be good.

In the hotel at the bar and so on what sort of tip is the norm?

Im really looking forward to this holiday, the reports on here are great!

Thanks again
Katie. x
hi katie glad to be of help you can only get peso's in the dominican you can't get peso's in this country. as far as tipping is concerned we always tip between $1-$5 but never felt any pressure to do so. the little gifts you've bought are absolutely fine we tend to take the same sort of things and avoid taking sweets and chocolate. anything else you can think of please feel free to ask
louise x
Hi,
Can i just ask to clarify, do you mean that it is not possible to buy DR Pesos in this country at all?? Reading through some other threads people have spoken about taking them with them.......??
Katie.
Hi Katie

You can buy pesos in the UK. We take both dollars and pesos. Dollars to tip and pesos to use in the hotel shop usually just to buy the paper! (they don't take dollars in the hotel shop).
We have stayed in the Iberostar Costa Dorada in the north and Iberostar Dominicana in Punta Cana. Loved both. We preferred the north, purely because it seemed a bit more relaxed. However the beaches in Punta Cana/Bavaro are fabulous! Enjoy!!

Caroline
Hi Katie

I am going to DR at the end of January for a week and staying in Grand Bahia Punta Cana :D
It is my mums 50th birthday and my sisters 24th and we are going to have a girlie holiday :)

I will be very grateful if you can leave a review of this place after you get back.

have a great holiday!
Hi, the hotel looks great and it's rated number 4 on trip advisor.
We walked past it several times whilst walking up and down the beautiful beach and it did look great though it had tight security so we couldn't look for too long!!
Hi, many thanks for your reply's.
Just three weeks and two days to go, well excited!
Received our tickets yesterday.
Was surprised to find that our visa wasnt included, we went to cuba with first choice in april and the visa for there was included we just had to fill it in and take it with us, just assumed it would be the same with the dominican. Do we have to get it before we go or can we get the visa on arrival?

Zabka - Yes i will leave a report on our return!

Thanks again.
Katie. :D
you will be given a form to fill in on the plane you pay for your visa upon arrival and then pay again upon departing is $20 pp on arrival and $10pp departing. you must have it in usd too not english money.
Paracetamol are expensive in the DR so don't forget to take some, you never know if you might need them. The maids are glad to have them anyway.

Watch the amount of coconut milk you have in drinks its a natural laxative and be very particular in hand washing just in case those that didn't leave anything behind, germs breed very quickly in the tropics. :o

If you like a decent cuppa take some tea bags, theres taste like pond water. :lol:

Save a bottle each to fill for the airport on your return, drinks are usually expensive there.

I love the DR, have a great time.
Hi Katie

How was your holiday in Punta Cana. Only 4 weeks to go and I'd love to hear from somebody who had the same holiday as we are going to. We are flying First Choice and staying 7 nights in Gran Bahia PC :D Can't wait.

Did you still have to pay the departure tax?
Hi Zabka, sorry for the huge delay in replying, when we arrived home we were moving house the following week so i havent had time to stop. We had a lovely holiday, the hotel is good although too large for us, but you only learn as you go along dont you??!! We wouldnt go back to this hotel due to the size but for that reason only. The area itself is lovely and the beach at this hotel is really nice although crowded on both sides with other hotels etc. No probs with food, service etc. Rooms were large and comfortable. We didnt need to pay the departure tax as it was included, depends on who you book with i suppose. There is a great PADI school there if you are into Scuba diving, we both did our certificates while there, if you go say hello to Sol for us, she was fab! Otherwise we also did the safari tour, its a whole day and all food and drink is included, you have to do this trip it is a great way to see out and about.
Enjoy your holiday, any questions just let me know, my internet access is erratic at the moment with moving though!
Katie.
Don't forget to post your review HERE!.

Pippy :)
You mentioned the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana, we have booked to go there in July, just wondering if they stop serving alcohol at a particular time? It is AI 24hours but sometimes there are restrictions with alcoholic beverages,. Anyone who has been & could help me please?
Hi Lauren and welcome to HT! :wave:

You may find the info you need in the reviews HERE. Failing that, you could email the hotel...

info.puntacana@bahia-principe.com

Pippy :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.