Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
surprised to find that just before you board your plane, you are required to pay an extra £5.00 per passenger, as an "airport development fee"No fee paid, no boarding!!. When I complained about the lack ofnotice, :( and asked to see the terms & conditions I was told by three separate staff members to "write in" well I did, and I am still waiting for a reply. To me this is like being stopped in your car on the A30 just prior to leaving Cornwall and masked highwaymen demand £5.00 per passenger. So if you are thinking of flying to Corwall shortly, beware!!
It is annoying when you are suddenly faced with unexpected charges like that. This particular 'development fee' at Newquay isn't new, it was first introduced almost 3 years ago. It is displayed on the airport's website and may also be shown on the websites of individual airlines operating from there.

You can read more about the purpose of the development fee HERE.

David :wave
I'm flying from Newquay high season and hope to leave the car for a week. I understand that you can't pre-book spaces. Bit apprehensive about turning up on the day to find no parking spaces. Need I be concerned?
Has anyone flown from Newquay to Girona? I´d like to know why it takes 3 hours. Is there any scale or something? I don´t like to spend a long time in a plane, that´s all :(
It doesn't - nor does it take only an hour and a bit to fly from Girona to Newquay! It's approximately 2 hours in each direction but the quoted departure and arrival times are local time - and Girona is in a different time zone.

SM
thank you very much! that´s great
From taxi on the runway today at Gerona and touch down at NQY took 1hr 40mins.

I just hate the £45 car park charge a week to park the car in an overflow rough ground car park.

With the lack of bus services we had no choice to drive and park up ,a taxi for the 5 of us wold have been £70 return from St Austell.

With NQY getting bigger I would have thought that some form off site car parking (farm) would now be a good earner for a local. :think
Hi HT memebers

Just thought I would share this with you all, we have just had a fab w/e in Newquay which was slightly dampened when we arrived at airport yesterday afternoon only to find that the airport is extending terminal/runway etc and anyone over the age of 16 has to pay £5.00. :yikes How can people be charged for making improvements/exentsion, I find it scandalous, my hubby did voice his opinion to several memeber of airport staff who really arent to blame but we couldnt believe what had just happened

I am amazed that the airlines operating in and out of Newquay dont inform travellers or even the staff on the inbound flight.......or maybe they no what response they would get

Be warned

Jules
Hi

I have paid this "tax" for the last 2 or 3 years,I was told that it is to improve services because the RAF are pulling out of the airport,apparently it was originally shared so now the airport will have to be run independently,don't know how true that is,though.You also have to pay to use Norwich airport.
You have to pay to use all airports, the difference is that in most cases the airline collects the money at the time they sell the ticket.

The charge was introduced three years ago and caused Ryanair to cut the number of flights it operated. BMIbaby mention it in the airport information section of their site but Ryanair don't. I suspect you're correct about why the staff on the outward flight didn't mention it!

The reason why Ryanair is so annoyed about it and why they don't mention probably comes down to the competition - the train. If you're travelling from many places in London west of the City to most places in Cornwall the train is probably faster, bearing in mind the slog out to Stansted and having to allow for checkin and security. The advance purchase price advertised by First Great Western has no hidden extras, like check in charge or baggage fees. Ryanair have to advertise a price that appears to be competitive so the make check in and baggage optional extras. But this tax isn't optional and if they included it in the sale they would have to include it in the price in their adverts. FGW have some seats from London to Truro (for example) for £15 one way so that is the sort of price Ryanair have to undercut to appear to be cheaper.

But going back to your original complaint, it's a very messy way of getting the money to fund expansion. It will take years to collect anything like enough to do major building work (£1 million doesn't go far on a runway) during which time they alienate the passengers who haven't benefited! It may have been more sensible to borrow the money, do the work and then charge more afterwards through the ordinary airport charges.
You have to pay to use all airports, the difference is that in most cases the airline collects the money at the time they sell the ticket.

The Government levied departure tax and all the other landing and airport fees have already been charged and included in the cost of the flight ticket, this is an additional local passenger tax imposed by the operators of Newquay airport :no
That's my point - the airport fees are normally included with the Government tax. So why isn't this? In the days of detailed paper tickets you could see exactly how much each airport charged down in the bottom left corner.
Hi
When I was asked to pay this charge I asked the duty manager for a copy of the terms & conditions,his reply was to "write in". So, I e-mailed my request to the airport manager. I will now cut a very long story short. After 7 more requests & getting nowhere, I asked the local goverment ombudsman to investigate Cornwall County Council,(who own the airport) because of thier failure to reply to my e-mails. The l.g.o started the investgation, but then after 4 weeks dropped it as it was deemed to be "no longer in the public interest" Cornwall County had still not replied to my question "is it legal charge?" It was only after my M.P wrote to them, on my behalf that I had a sort of responce. I still dont know if its a legal charge, but Cornwall C C tell me that last year 320 passengers were allowed to board, despite not paying this tax. They further state that they (Cornwall C C) would write them an appropriate letter!
I will now vote with my wallet as it were, & spend my holiday money elsewhere, perhaps Dorset. The last time I was there, nobody stopped me and demanded money before I could leave!!!!
£5 dep tax should be on tickets.

I still think if nqy had more flights it would be like a bristol or exeter.

I,m going to gerona this month for a return flight of £10 but I hope all the £5's paid by all /helps towards long haul flights.
Hi All

Just had a call from my son-in-law in Cornwall telling me that Newquay airport will be closed from Monday,I thought he was winding me up as I'm due to visit this weekend,coming home on Monday.Apparently I will be contacted by Ryanair,to advise on travel arrangements.I did a search on internet and found he is telling the truth but there is nothing,as yet,on Ryanairs site.Thought I'd share this with HT members so that they can contact airline if necessary.T.
What a cock-up! I can't believe that after 4 years of notice that the RAF were pulling out that Cornwall County Council could not sort out a smooth take over. This bunch of clowns will be the one's running our beloved county after next April!
Ryanair have issued a press release http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/notices.php?notice=gops&code=081127-nqyclosure-GB saying they have no confidence in the Council and have cancelled all flights until 11th January because the December date is not guaranteed. Given the ongoing row over the additional departure charge I wouldn't be surprised if they abandon Newquay altogether like they did with Valencia and Blackpool.
Bunch of clowns sounds about right. After 5 months I`ve just this week!! had a repy to my letter, about the airport development fee, that I sent to them at the end of June!!! They say sorry for the delay, they had to co-ordinate thier reply. I would not be surprised to see this airport closed within two
years due to the way it appears to be managed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.