America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Alcatraz tour?
38 Posts
Only done the Day tour round alcatraz when 100s get off the ferry and can be crowded,looking at a brochure i brought back says the amount night tour numbers are limited so i assume they may take you in little groups to places you cant go to in the day,maybe old offices they still have there or old living quarters to be honest i dont know,all i will say is i bet its very errie on there on a night,have a great trip.
The night tour is the last ferry of the day, you set of when its light and arrive at the Alcatraz dock just as the sun is setting, looks fantastic from the prisoners dining room with the bridge in the forground. The numbers are limited and the tours with the wardens are to, so choose the one you want to do and sign up with the warden once your there. We did the tour through the kitchen and down the rear stairs to the store room, where you are shown foiled escape attempts, the wardens are fantastic and know everything, we finished of in the shower block and were told we can have a look around by ourselves, all this is done by flashlight and/or very dim lighting. You get to see more during the night and its a lot less busy. We have done both day and night and both are fantastic, but the night tour is a must.
Me again.

Looking to book the Alcatraz excursion for around early sep, beginning oct, does anyone know a good online company to book with?

Thanks

Steve
steve you can only go with one company...the blue and gold fleet its best to book before you go....

http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/

i think they have got the rights to it...

all the best
Steve: friends went to Alcatraz in May this year, said it was fab and well worth the trip. Hope you enjoy it just as much. :lol: :lol:
Please Please Please book to go on the last evening tour, you pay a little bit more but it was amazing and also freezing cold (we were the 6 weeks ago) took some great pictures and filming and the audio tour was fantastic :pele . Keep checking the website and soon as the dates show up for when you are there, then book as this tour sells out fast x
Thanks for the advice, I have booked to go at 4.10 pm, this is the latest showing for that day or any other day I looked at, are there later ones?

Thanks again

steve
We went on the first ferry in the morning - a slight mist hung over it and it was very atmospheric. Make sure you purchase the guide tape with headphones - it'll talk you around and features narration by real prisioners and guards.
We had a great time.

I've heard the night-time one takes you to the morgue - very spooky!!
The last evening tour was at about 7pm. It was very eerie, with the damp and the cold and then looking back across the bay to san francisco. Didn't like walking into the isolation cells - scared the life out of me. Whilst we were there they did a cell door demonstration, the sound of them clunking sticks with you. Apparently the evening tour is slightly different to the day tour. Ive just got an excuse to visit again.
Has anyone been to San Francisco and also visited Alcatraz. A bit gloomy i know but i have always had a notion to visit it and seeing as the big 50 is looming who knows

Thanks in anticipation]

Maureen :D
I wasn't that bothered about visiting Alcatraz when we went to SF, but the rest of our party wanted to go. Boy am I glad we did! We took the audio tour and I thought it was fascinating. You may need to book it before you travel.

luci :wave
Thanks for that Luci. We are talking a couple of years yet but its something to look forward to.

maureen dont forget to watch out for the ghosts.
i havent been but saw a programe with gail porter who does ghost walks of the stars.
and they went to alcatraz, and she was frightned out of her skin.

choc.
maureenl you've not got to miss seeing this,i went on the first ferry that left San francisco at 9.30am and 4 hours later i got the ferry back,alcatraz is just a fascinating place!
Thanks for that wont be in tomorrow but will get hubby to tape it for me.

Maureen - do visit it - it's well worth it. See if you too get a chill when when you visit the isolation bit.

I'd book in advance if I were you, here's who we used - http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/
We just booked online once we got there and collected our tickets from the dockside.
We managed to get the first ferry over, it's much less crowded then.
Went to Alcatraz about 15 years ago - on an early ferry. It was busy and I'd agree that the first ferry is best idea.

Do, do take the audio tour - we didn't and I regret very much.

Slightly off-topic, but you'll see why, a few years later (still 8-9 years back) we visited New York and took the first ferry to Ellis Island. Here we did take the audio tour and the added interest is worth the money.

At Alcatraz you hear the slamming of prison doors etc. etc.

Mike
Hi
Off to San Francisco mid March for the 1st time and fancy doing the Alcatraz trip - should I go for a day or evening trip? Is there only one company that you can book with ( is it called gold something?? ) - should I book in advance?
What are the other must dos? We've got 3 nights? Is there a City sight seeing bus trip - any good?
Any advice would be very much appreciated

maudvilla
xx
Maudvilla

If you read the posts earlier in this topic you should find all the information you are looking for. I would suggest booking via the link above before you go to ensure you get a place.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.