Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Yes, the taxis are still there, they know when the flights come in and there are usually more waiting.
Hello 123Liz

I can't give an exact answer to your question, but is your hotel far from Gib. and do you expect to do some sightseeing along/around the Malaga to Gib. strip/inland?
My wife and I are flying into Gib. a fortnight later than you (landing around noon) and are staying at the MacDonald Villacana Club resort (does anyone have any comments on this place) near Estepona.
We always have a car on hols as we are not pool-freaks.
I found alamo usually very competitve in the past and was quoted £126 for a 5door, AirCon, Clio (or similar).
I then tried DoYouSpain (I'd seen them on the web a few times - check their site); they have quoted £67 (yes sixty-seven) for the same thing, no extras and can pay on arrival. The slight downside is that their depot is just over the border but a rep. will be waiting (I've always wanted to be the subject of one of the held-up boards at the airport) to walk you the 200yards where you pick up the car (presumably then drive back to pick up wife and luggage) and away you go.
Crikey we could spend the 67 quid on transfer taxi costs and a couple of trips to a restaurant/bar.
It's worth thinking about.
:wave

Thank you so much for the info.

We are going to Algeciras (too good to miss AI bargain from Alpha Rooms!!!) but we will not be driving (not that brave!!). We visited the hotel a long time ago through a tour operator and flew to Gib but they organised taxis for us so it will be interesting to see if things have changed.

We will definitely be visiting Gib a couple of times while we are there as we like it but will use taxis. For other sightseeing (if we can drag ourselves away from relaxing!), we will probably use the local transport.

By the way, if anyone can give us any help on what temperatures we can expect (Feb/March) that would be really useful as we're not sure what clothes to take!

Thanks
Liz :)
19Silverfox35,
Be aware that it is not easy to drive back to Gibraltar Airport to pick up your wife and luggage as you say in your post.

Doing so would involve crossing the border twice and would probably take hours depending on how difficult the Spanish were being on that particular day.

When I went, 2 years ago, everyone trooped across the border luggage in tow. We rented from Crown and their desk was in an underground car park a couple of streets away.

liz,
Take everything as you could get anything from cool and rainy to very warm during the day but it's likely to be cold in the evenings. You can guarantee it will be better than the UK though!!
Thanks Jan400 for your contribution.

I note your point about the [potential] delays in crossing the border; we visited Gib. during a Christmas 2003 visit to Benalmadena and found a [not overly long] queue to get in.
Interestingly, our rental company is Crown too . . . I'll let you know how we get on next month!
When we rented with crown, the 200yd walk was to a mini-bus that took you to the car park.

I had just bought a house out there and had loads of stuff that I was leaving out there so it seemed like a long trek.

Coming back there was no mini-bus but because we didn't have much luggage it wasn't a problem and only seemed like a short stroll.
To answer the initial question. Yes the taxi rank is still there as you cross the border on the right hand side after entering spain. Negotiations are under way for a "joint use " of Gibraltar Airport between Gibraltar and Spain. As you can imagine, there are a number of delicate political issues to be sorted first of all - but the general idea is to allow travellers from Spain direct access into the airport from the Spanish side. This is however being met with some opposition from the Gibraltar residents. Seen a s a kop out over the airport being on "Gibraltar soil". Would make life easier for many UK travellers etc. On a different topic watch this space - development may be possible for the introduction of low cost carriers like Easy Jet and BM Baby at Gibraltar!

Nivsy
:wave

Thanks everyone for the responses.

It would certainly make things easier Nivsy - we're just hoping it's not raining when we get there or we will be dripping wet by the time we cross the border!!!!

Can anyone give me any idea how much the taxis are charging now? (Gib border to Algeciras) It's a while since we were there!

:)
Have not done the journey by taxi must confess. However stab in the dark woul;d be around 20 to 25 euros - with maybe a charge for baggage. By the way was a lovely day today. sunshine all the way and around +16. :( Rain showers forecast for tomorrow (Friday) tho

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.