UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
:shock: McLays is now a NO NO
Thank you for the warning.
I am going to look for the Willows Hotel now, and if you find any reviews on Charing Cross please let me know.

Thank you sooooooo much.

Kazza
Hi I am looking for a hotel/guest house in Glasgow, for two nights in May.
Can anyone recomend one?
I was looking at McLays, but the reviews were terrible and I am not too sure about Charing Cross guest house.

Thanks

Kazza
There is an Ibis Hotel in a good location near Charing Cross / Sauchiehall Street. Go to the Ibis web site. It is about £40 a night.

Wilson :wink:
Is there anythign in particular you want to be near in Glasgow Kazza, theatres etc?

Catherine xxx
Lol Kazza, funnily enough I just saw your other post saying about staying in between Duntocher and Old Kilpatrick, guess what I'm another that lives in between there, well Mountblow to be precise!

Any advise I can give, fire away!

Catherine x
Thanks Wilson the Ibis sounds ok read some reviews, it could be the one.

Jade thank you for the link, I will have a look now :D

Scottishmum, I want to do some family research, so I need to be near the Mitchell Library, also in the centre near shops and pubs etc... :wink:
I will need to visit Duntocher for the day too, to visit New Street where my family lived in 1901 (I know the house will no longer be there)
I am also looking for what was Risk Street Home in Dunbarton (my g g grandfathers last address before he died in 1945)

And if there are any Munn's out there from Duntocher????

Kazza
Hi Jade,
I just started to read it and I have read about that guest house already.
My sister in law found it.
The only problem for me is as I will be in by myself, in a single room, they have not en suite for me. :(

The location is ideal.

Thank you.

Kazza
Hi Kazza ... you appear to be cramming a lot into a couple of days, which is great. But one word of warning - research at the Mitchell Library can often be a very slow, painstaking and perhaps unsuccessful process. To try and ensure a successful visit, it may be wise to contact the Mitchell Library in advance to ascertain just how they might be able to help you with the specific areas or people concerned, what information or paperwork you should bring with you to make the search easier, best time of day to visit, how much time to schedule for your research, etc. You will find contact details and more information about the Mitchell Library HERE.

Perhaps one other word of warning - as a single traveller, just be careful with some of the guest house/b&b type accommodation you may find on the internet - not all of them are tourist accommodation.

Wilson mentioned the Ibis Hotel earlier, it's certainly in a convenient location for the library, shops, nightlife, etc. The Travelodge Glasgow Central may also be worth considering if it suits your budget, bearing in mind that it can be booked for £26 per night for certain dates in May, and sometimes as low as £10 when the 'supersaver' deal is on.

David :wave
Hi David, Thank you. :D
I am going with my parents, my mum in law (who was born in Glasgow) and my sister in law.
Though I do want my own room.

I have found a lovely hotel called Kelvingrove, in Sauchiehall street.

http://www.kelvingrove-hotel.co.uk/

I have got a lot of info from Scotslands people website.
The 1891 and 1901 census of where my g grandfather was living.
I also have the parish records of my g g grandfathers marriage, and siblings christenings.

What I plan to do if visit the church (Marie Hill) my g g grandfather married in, in Kilmaronock. Is it about 20 miles from Glasgow.
Visit Duntocher where they lived.
Try and find the place my g g grandfather is buried, he died in 1945, his son, my g grandfather was killed in Frace in 1915, and buried there :lol: so that will be another trip.
He was living in Risk Street House when he died in 1945.

Thanks for you advice.

Kazza

Edited with correct weblink
David HT Mod
Hi again Kazza

Risk street house is no longer there, it has been replaced by flats. The library in Dumbarton may be able to give you some further information.

Risk st is located near Dumbarton Central train station as is the library.

The church at Kilmaronock is better reached going via Dumbarton, and Balloch. I stay in Balloch which is about halfway between Dumbarton and Kilmaronock and is also reached by train.

This site has some pictures of the church :shrug
http://www.wdcweb.info/environmentalservices/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=4651

I know your travel dates so depending on my shift pattern I may be able to help you locate them.

I will PM you shortly.

Graham
Hi Graham, I wa getting confused as I looked on google and there was a Risk Street in DuNbarton & DuMbarton.
Do you know which one was the home??? I will check before I visit.

Thank you so much for the link to the church, is that Marie Hill Church??
Amazing to see it.
I was told at the time of my g g grandparents marriage there was only one chuch in Kilmarnock.

As soon as I get a reply from the the hotel I will pm you our travel dates.
It will be May sometime.

My parnets want to find a good fish restaurant near Sauchiehill St, but me steak :lol:

Thanks for the link to the church.

Kazza
Kazza,

DuMbarton is sometimes mispelled as DuNbarton, because although its DuMbarton its actually in DuNbartonshire. :? Confusing, yes I know.

Can recommend the Rogano seafood restaurant at Exchange place just next to Royal Exchange Square, very good restaurant and quite renowned in Glasgow. You can visit their website at http://www.rogano.co.uk

I'm sure I went to school with someone called Munn from Duntocher, will ask around and let you know!!! Definitely did have a Maths teacher named Miss Munn at St Columba's which is in Clydebank, although I don't know where she was from.

Good luck!

Catherine
Hello Catherine,
I got it in the end Dumbarton is in Dunbartonshire :lol: Took me long enough :oops:

Thank you for the link to the sea food restaurant, it's for my parents, my mum says the best fish is from Scotland but I hate fish :? so it will be Angus Steak for me :wink:

I have had a few mesages here and on another site from people who know a Munn, it would be great if one of them was from my g grandfathers family. :D He had lots of brothers and sisters, and his father did too so you never know.

Please let me know if you find anything out :wink:

Thanks

Karen
Karen ... there is section on THIS site where you can seek help in tracing relatives.

David :wave
Will do Karen, no probs!
Wow thank you David, that will be very helpful :wink:

Catherine :bow thank you too. :lol:
Hi all,

Just wanted to say that this has been a lovely wee thread from Hotels to long departed relatives, great stuff.

Wilson :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.