Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
not sure about other airports but at manchester if you did'nt have proof of accomodation they would'nt let you on plane so you may have to book at least one night
Apologies goingoingoa my query wasn't very clear :oops: If anyone has positive comments on Captain Lobo's we would book there for 2 weeks and then book flight only.
goingoingoa, just reading what you say about Manchester airport and not allowing you on board without proof of accomodation,this must be something new this season,as this is news to me.
Where were you asked to show proof, at check-in or when boarding ? Has anyone else been stopped for this reason ?
Flew out of Manchester in Oct. on a flight only ticket, nobody is interested as to your accomodation, likewise at Dabolim. If it's flight only with the likes of Jewel in the crown or Gateway you have dormhouse accomodation to use on the immigration form you fill in on the plane for the immigration people at Dabolim, but if you had'nt got that you could put dow any accomodation, as in the dozen of times I've went through nobody has ever shown the slightest intrest in my accomodation address The only thing checked in this country is that your passport is valid and that you have an upto date Indian visa Alan
We were asked in Dec 2004 for proof of accom. We got word of this 3 days before we were due to fly so arranged to meet a rep from the travel company at Manchester airport. She told us it was a new requirment of the government and gave us a letterhead with an accomadation address on but was also told not to report to this hotel as there was no room booked for us there. This was just a scam to get us on the plane. We had booked our own accom and had a printed E mail to confirm this but was told it was no good. Whilst we were queing to check in 2 couples in the que at the side of us were turned away and were not allowed to check in. Ther were loads of sobs and tears but it did no good. Please check with your travel company if you have booked flight only on the current situation and if need be insist on a accomadation address as it is they who have sold you the ticket and if it is illegal then they should do everything they can do get you on your holiday. Hope it does not happen to anyone. B
goa
February 2005 travelling with Monarch from Manchester we were asked for proof of accommodation before they would let us check in. Good job I had taken confirmation invoice with me. Two pax infront of us turned away.
Wow , glad ive read this , im off tommorow and its the first ive heard of being asked for proof of accomodation. Wonder how this works for backpackers etc. Anyway thanks for the heads up ive made sure my invoice is packed with my tickets.
some people who had even booked packages were turned away as they didnt have there conformations with them and its not always on your ticket.i believe the people who were on the late flight would have had real problems as the travel agents help desks would be closed so nobody there to get faxes etc sent out
gramps it may depend on whether its a schedule flight or charter flight but best to cover yourselves just in case
" you have been warned"!
Re this latest carry on re accomodation, could anyone help witha few questions Is it happening at other airports than Manchester?, What travel companies flights is it happening on i.e. Mytravel, first choice etc? Is this a Indian Goverment directive or is this travel companies tying to make sure that people buy packages rather than flight only. I'm flying out myself on Sat, scheduled from h/row but cant see a problem there but we'l find out on Sat. However two girl friends of my wifes are coming out on the 16th feb from Gatwick with Jewel in the Crown to join us for a couple of weeks and altough staying with us in booked accomodation in Calangute have no paperwork to confirm this. Will a faxed letter comfirming this be sufficient? Its a small place we use and I dont know if they have headed stationery or not Their flights were booked with a sub agent on the net so I dont know if all Jewel in the Crown flight only deals include one nights dormhouse accomodation I've went that way often myself but cant recall any voucher coming with Jewels tickets Panic on now any info on this would be appreciated Alan
If this is the case why do travel companies sell you flight only deals on charter flights if you are not allowed to check in without accomodation? - I booked my flight only deal direct with Airtours.
I've got an Airtours flight only deal and on my ticket quite plainly it says Goa flight and 1night accm. Would think that covers them and you... :?
as gooner says thats why he has the 1 night accomodation but it has to be named on documents not sure if its all airports and companies, we flew with monarch and they said it was compulsory and that it had come from the indian goverment apparently because of the sunami so they can locate and id every traveller,when you travel to goa your hotel has to inform the authorities that you are staying with them (this is a legal requirement)so i suppose its an extension of this.
as for travel companies selling flight only its not there responsibility its yours nobody is saying you cant book a flight only you just have to have proof of accommodation !were buying property so i will have to check whether i have to write myself a letter of proof of accommodation as well as i dont want to have to book even one night in a hotel
What about the allocated on arrivals? - not just the one night flight onlies but the 14 night ones.
hi all
i ve got flight only with airtours and i have just phoned the poeple i booked with and they have just phoned airtours and as long as you have 1 night on your ticket they said you are fine
nikkie
Both my wife and I travelled out from Manchester with Monarch on seperate occasions in Nov/Dec 05 and on both occasions we had to show proof of accomodation, my understanding is that there is no such ticket as flight only to Goa ! The so called flight only bookings must include and be classed as coming with at least dormhouse accomodation for one night although on arrival you don't take this option up if either you have your own place or have booked accomodation independently
Just contacted the travel company our friend booked her Jewel in the crown flight only ticket from and they confirmed that proof of accomodation is required and in Jewels case all flight only tickets include one nights dormhouse accomodation and that it will be detailed on your ticket Thank goodness for this site as I,ve been visiting Goa twice yearly for many years now and thought I knew all there was to know about bureaucracy but this is one hurdle I'd never heard of. As I said before I,m going out scheduled flights on Sat without the necessary paperwork although I've got accomodation booked so heres hoping. I cant believe every passenger flying in to India from all over the world need to show this type of proof of accomodation before takeoff and it's certainly not mentioned on the web site of Jet Airways Alan
as i mentioned gramps its not there responsibility to inform you it might be a good idea if there was a sticky on this
!'d have to disagree, it must be someones duty to tell you of this regulation, as, as far as I'm aware it,s not listed on any Indian Gov. information site, nor on any travel companies. I,m sure it's not a condition of entry, or travel, to the majority of countries with a tourism business to meet this ruling On my travels I,ve certainly not come across it, but I,m sure sombody will get back and put me right on this Alan
You need to put an address in India on the visa form so if you have a visa you by default have the accommodation address.

I'm sure this is a requirement not just for India but for many other places in the world too, it certainly is for Jamaica, but as I've said you can't have the Indian visa without the address so all roads lead to rome.

Sounds to me like there's a jobs worth at large at the airport though and if they've been told to stop people travelling unless they can prove an address then I'd take some proof just in case.

Remember airlines over book so they might be using this as a tool to off load passengers without having to compensate them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.