Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Alcudia Canals
7 Posts
It is possible - when we went some ponged - some didn't. I'd be more worried about getting bit to death though!

I looked awful when I came back and I never get bit usually.
I take it Mozzies are more a problem arround/near the canals than usual? Or is Alcudia just plagued with them anyway?
Think Alcudia was built on the wet ground/marshes - there are a lot of lakes and canals - which means still water - which means mozzies!

The rest of our party were not too bad - just the occasional nip - but I was smothered!

Our apartments were'nt near water but we had to walk past the canal to get to the beach, town etc. Also one night we had a meal at a restaurant next to a canal. Bit to death!
Hmmmm, I'm starting to worry about this now. We are looking at staying along the north side of the 'avinguda de canal gran'. But having second thoughts. Is there a "seaon" for the little pests or are they all year round party people.
As someone living here, I can tell you that you can get mosquitoes almost any time. But, they are generally more active in the spring. This year they were bad in May and first part of June, but were far less apparent in the main summer. They tend then to make a bit of a comeback around now. Doubtless others will have different experiences, but living right by the wetland of Albufera, which is a major area for mosquitoes, that is mine.

At nights, the use of plug-ins in rooms is very effective, the problem is more when you are out or on a terrace. There are various lotions like Autan that can be ok, and there are all sorts of other preventative things like quinine, lemon, marmite. Can't say I have ever bothered with any of them.
i dont know if this helps but most of the poeple tiat i have spoken to this year that have been bitten real bad say its because they are all on heart tablets dont know how true this but i usually get bit to shreds but this year only 1 bite, but i dab a bit of citrus oil every evening at sunset as this seemed tpo be when they were around the most behind the ears and knees as this seems to prevent them
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.