Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Boots travel insurance class as Europe as it borders the Med.
Egypt is in Africa and Asia the Continental divide is The Gulf of Suez. Travel insurance and travel companies may use alternative definitions for their purposes.
I've noticed some companies class Egypt in Europe and other companies class it in Africa so it's worldwide not including USA

Egypt is located in North Africa, you will have to double check with the individual insurance companies what they classify it as, some will have it as Europe while others will say it is Worldwide.

Also if it is classed as Europe, why can't we get the Europe's amount of duty free?

While an insurance company might (wrongly) say it is in Europe it is located out with the EU and you are only entitled to bring in limited quantities http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/index.htm

Also we are staying at the Mecure Le Spinx for a few days. Has anyone else stayed there?
Recently changed name from Sofitel Le Sphinx if anybody know that and can help!

How far is it from the main pyramids and the museum?
The Pyramids and Sphinx are located about 5-10 minutes away, walk or haggle and take a taxi, the taxis in the street are much cheaper than hotel taxi (ask Concierge to organise taxi for you cheaper) , the Cairo Museum is a bit further away and will take about 30 minutes in a taxi depending on the traffic which is chaotic in Cairo.
Whichever travel insurer i used, and change them mostly every year, they have always classed Egypt as Europe.
Our insurer classes Egypt as Africa..which is good really as that is exactly where it is!
Quotebanana class it as Europe. I wasn`t sure about this so I emailed them to confirm it.
Booked insurance with AA and they said Egypt is classed as Europe. I'm not going to argue with them as the insurance was £68.58 for 3 people (2 people have pre existing medical conditions).

Thank you for your help, especially Kiltman :tup
For insurance purposes then Europe is gonna be cheaper so thats ok with me...but Geographically Egypt is in Africa apart from the Sinai peninsula which is separated from the rest of Egypt by an an extention of the great rift valley (and is moving further away from the African continent all the time) it is classed as being in Asia (that is why you need a visa if you travel out of sinai to the rest of Egypt) :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.