Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Goan Hospitality
18 Posts
I never go topless in Goa but do everywhere else (don't think I did in Thailand either). Unless of course I've had too many Kings and roll over not realising! :sun2 I don't want to get ogled at or photographed so don't do it, I'm not in Spain and we should respect their country and culture. There is a lot of information around about this for people to read about. It's the same as the sea is dangerous in some areas, it's well known.
I know there is a lot of information available , but what I don't understand , is why so many females pay no attention , and do it anyway so giving all of us a bad name .
Lassigirl I totally agree with you. I was only saying this to my husband yesterday. They must look at the western women as 'easy'

Saying this though, I do believe a woman should be able to wear what she wants and not expect to be sexually molested.
Elliebee your right we should be able to, but we choose to go to a country that does not have the same views on nudity as we so as the visitors we should respect that ... Under no circumstances does anyone deserve to be assaulted or molested, but I can also see why Indian men would view western women as 'easy'.

Im very liberal but I dont agree with topless / nude sunbathing, not because it upsets or attracts people to stare, but because I dont want to see someones red and wrinkly boobs bouncing in front of me, fine lay on your front and undo the clasp so you dont get a tan line (if you must), but do it up before you sit up.
Brummy I was covering both sides of the fence. I didn't want lady's to come into this thread thinking we were saying they were asking for it. ;)

When in Goa I don't go topless, I would not leave the beach and walk the streets in just a bikini top and I don't wear anything too revealing out at night. I do so out of respect for the Goans.
Oh Elliebee, I was agreeing with you not arguing :)
I work on a little saying, 'with every right, there comes a responsibilty'

Yes we all (regardless of where we are and who we are) have a right to be able to walk / lay around without getting molested and photographed, but we also have a responsibilty to ensure we look after our selves and dont offend / upset others. .... speech over lol
Would you say its ok to walk the streets in a vest and 3/4's? arround the BCC area. I'm sure the younger Goans where this type of clothing?
Mardon I'm assuming you mean young Goan guys? If that's the case then yes. Its a culture where the Women are seen very differently to Men,but I'm sure you know that :)

I dont think I saw any Goans in shorts or 3/4's and vest's come to think of it :que
Mardon,
I think the only young Goan's wearing 3/4's or vest tops , will be on the beach, as Ellie said I have also never seen them on the streets . You will be fine , as i think you already know around CCB :D , but I would dump the vest for places like Panjim .
My Goan friends are young guys in their 20s and wear 3/4 and vests but they tend to be sleeveless t shirts rather than traditional vest. That said they work on the beach and only wear these clothes during the day. They always change into t shirts/shirts and long trousers at night and would never go into a bar or club wearing anything less. My friend told me that Goan women are also changing and starting to wear jeans/trousers and t shirts but they would never wear anything revealing. He told me that Goans are generally now very used to women in revealing clothes, especially his generation, and don't bother that much about it but that out of state Indians can see it as an "open invitation".
Open inivitaion??? Open invitation to get a smack round the chops!!

Personally, I just think that's their excuse, whether someone is wearing revealing clothes or not, I do not for one second believe that they (the molesters!) think it is morally acceptable to touch another human being in that way. I will not except that as a valid reason to be touched indecently by a stranger.

This is totally my own opinion, but if they want Goa to be a beach holiday destination they have to accept that people wear less clothes on the beach, it's not like they haven't had enough time to get used to it. As for walking down the streets in vest and shorts... so what, it's hot! I appreciate if you are entering somewhere that is not a beach destination e.g. a villiage, temple, certain shops etc. that you should cover up.
  • Edited by Lozza07 2008-02-26 14:06:58
Cheers for clearing that up. It never really crossed my mind (other than in temples obviously). I have shirts and jeans for restaurants etc.

As for certain attitudes on Western women.. religion is in place (in part) to show people the correct way to live their lives. Touching a women whether they are you faith or not, fully clothed or scantily clad is just plain wrong. Its common sense, i'm not going take ignorance as an excuse if anyone tries anything with the girls we go with.

It happened to my sister. One example, she was lying on her sun bed (in a swim suit) and 4 blokes squeezed between so they could have a gawp (more than once). Its just not on (as they were warned).
I have to agree with Lozza, dressing down and wearing bikinis comes with the territory of having a beach type resort. It should be no excuse for some of the perverted actions of some of the men on the beaches. Its not just topless women, its any women really whether wearing bikinis, shorts, vest tops etc. who get abused or degraded by the masses of indian voyeurs,
As I said in Surfstak`s report the best way I have seen it dealt with is to scream loudly at the offenders and ask them if they would like it had it been their Mother or Sister, during the chaos of raised voices the local Goans tend to intervene and sort things out leaving the offender with a very large flea in the ear or a slap round the face causing ultimate embarassment :tup
It used to be Vagator when I first visited in 1999 when weekend tourists from Pune and Bangalore visited, this would be their first port of call to get drunk and ogle the Israeli and Europeans, we used to have a right laugh watching the snide tactics they used to get close to the women and often saw a few get slapped for their trouble. We called it the `Bombay T**ty patrol` :rofl the locals hated it as a lot of tourists never came to the beach at weekend and the Indians would buy their beer from the wine shop rather than the shacks.
You have to laugh because it is so pathetic.

It must feel horrible to be looked at like that.
When i was in Goa last year, someone decided to try and touch me down below.

I was on the beach with my young brother and my son, and i went into the sea with my son in my arms because he was a little scared of the waves ( he was only 3) .

Then this man, he was wearing just his underpants, thought he'd try and touch me, at first i thought the waves must have knocked him into me, so i ignored him, then he did it a 2nd time, so i moved a bit further away,
then he did it again, so i just shouted at him.

It isnt like i was wearing a thong and tiny bikini top, had shorts on and a tankini top on.

I do not think it is right to say women deserve to be touched, photographed etc, and those who do ( not naming any names on here :think ) are just as bad.
I think you were really restrained yummymummy, I would have kneed him where it hurts!!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.