France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
OK for the dating game ..... this article from Le Monde thinks that the starting date will be 1 JULY 2012 http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2012/03/01/ethylotest-obligatoire-dans-les-voitures-a-partir-du-1er-juillet-2012_1650002_3224.html)" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">http://(http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2012/03/01/ethylotest-obligatoire-dans-les-voitures-a-partir-du-1er-juillet-2012_1650002_3224.html), with fines of 11€ for not having one in the car being applied from 1 NOVEMBER.

I think that this is probably the most reliable evidence I've seen to date as it does refer to the official decree which came into force 'last Thursday' ie 1 March as I mentioned in my posts above.

This ruling applied to ALL MOTORVEHICLES with the only exclusion being a moped ... so MOTORHOMES, LORRIES, VANS, MOTORBIKES etc all need to have a breathalyser (unused) at hand.

Here's how to use your breathalyser ... you might not be able to read the French, but you should be able to follow the pictures!

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2012/03/01/1295544-l-ethylotest-sera-obligatoire-dans-les-voitures-a-partir-du-1-juillet.html

Unfortunately I haven't been able to post pictures ... the copy function doesn't seem to be working and I'm not techie enough to sort out how to go about doing it any other way, but if you look at Amazon.fr there are pictures of tubes and inflatable bags. That is your basic test kit, though it will look probably like a packet of pocket paper tissues when folded up.

REMEMBER THAT YOU WANT A ONE-TIME TEST ... JETABLE!! Hope this helps a bit more. (Oh and I think that there will be several small producers of these rather than large brands. I expect them to become more visible (and cheaper) as 1 July approaches, so it may be a question of hunting them down at present.
Alsacienne wrote:
I'll try to get to the chemist's this afternoon for a brand, but I don't know if there are any specifics ... I haven't seen any in my local supermarkets yet but it seems to still be a dodgy area. Last mail from you dates from 15 Jan so either I'm a rotten correspondent (sorry) or something's dropped into the Channel en route to me. Please resend your latest ones!! Thanks.

Just checked and I used the wrong address! DOH! However your local tourist office must be scratching their heads wondering what I am talking about LOL! Now sent to the correct one!
Message received ... with thanks! Acted on, so reply should be on its way back to you!
We have just spent three days in Brittany in the Lannion area. We tried every Tabac and Paharmacy but none stocked these kits. As a last ditch attempt we tried the Pharmacy in Super U in St Pol De Leon. They had the kit at a a cost of 1 Euro each. They were not on view but we asked an assistant and she brought out a drawer full of them.

John
Lovely area John! Glad you persevered and found one at the right price! I think once we get closer to July 1 there's be a big publicity drive with plenty of window displays!
My colleagues who took a French trip over in March failed to find any in Pharmacies. So today I got two twin packs from Halfords. £4.99 a pack!
Ah ... but do they show the French norm of 0.05 or the UK one of 0.08? I can send you some if you'd like.

Apparently the test kits have to conform to the FRENCH norms ... and although checking starts on 1 July, you never know what the General Election second round on May 6 will bring into force ....
Yes they are French compliant and have the relevent approvals and levels.
STOP PRESS! Alcohol test kits on sale at LECLERC AUTO ... price 1€ each.
I totally forgot about buying one when I drove through France twice in the last few weeks.. Must make a note to buy one or two before our next visit. :duh
Hmmm, interesting topic to discover, since i'm going to France in October. I've heard that it won't be enforced until 1st Nov, but i don't think i'm willing to take that chance when i've got GB plates on!!! :rofl

I have seen a few on ebay with the NF conformity, so i'm guessing i should be able to pick one up quite easily, fingers crossed

On a more personal view, whether you agree with the EU or not, given that we are all member states together, surely it's high time a more common policy towards driving laws was considered .. we seem to have more common laws for bananas than we do driving!!! Different alcohol tolerance limits (Scotland announced today that they will drop to the EU level ASAP), different speed limits, the (ridiculous in my view!) Priority from the right rule, different standards of what you have to take to each nation (spare bulbs, 1 or 2 triangles) .... isn't it high time we got this mess sorted out??? :think
Should have also said, that whilst i admire France's stand that maybe someone will actually test themselves if they have a kit in the car, i truly believe that the vast majority of serial drink drivers know what they are doing and don't really care ...... sadly! :(
I've heard that it won't be enforced until 1st Nov

The law comes into force on 1st July, but apparently fines won't be collected till 1st Nov. But it's not worth the hassle factor if you're stopped .... the police might find something else to fine you for!

If you want EU conformity on road laws .... couldn't you just let us have an international first class stamp and an international phone card in place first?! ;)
To be honest, i will 100% have one in the car even if it is a 1st Nov collection date, as you say why give them an opening when you don't have to!

If you want EU conformity on road laws .... couldn't you just let us have an international first class stamp and an international phone card in place first?!

Hmmm, stamps i can maybe do without, but don't start me on all these mobile companies, owned by the same 3 or 4 big groups, charging us to roam on their own networks abroad, grrrrrrrrrr!!! :rofl

The road laws are a mess though, im my time driving in Brittany i only came across one junction where the right had priority, they seem to spend a fortune erecting signs telling you that you don't have the priority when joining from the right!! :D The new planned lower limit for Scotland will create even more chaos, having two differing levels within a (technically!) single state!!
I don't mind a European stamp as long as everyone agrees to have the Queen on it ;)

Personally I prefer us all to be different as much as possible, it makes travelling more interesting.

I mean if we standardise driving rulees the UK will have to change to the other side of the road!
Oh im not saying we have to have everything looking the same, or that we drive on the right, but im sure making key issues such as the alcohol level, speed limits etc the same could be a good move :grin:
glad ive seen this
we go to france in a few weeks,just ordered a twin pack of french approved tester kits off amazon,they can live in the drawer under the passenger seat along with all the other stuff we need to carry
:)
Will the ferries start stocking them? I looked on amazon and I don't know what one is the right one.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.