Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Where are you actually staying?Is it a private apartment/villa.Because you say Solymar.Solymar is another name for the area around 24 hr sq or just above it (urbanization Solymar)Nearest station if it is is El Penillo which has been extended to include another platform and there is a taxi rank there.Local taxi number is 952 441 545
Hi Pipefitter
I noticed that she had made another post and it's Montemar/Torremolinos.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=133116
When posters say I'm staying near Benalmadena Marina, it would be best to ask which side of the marina before advising them to get off the train in Arroyo.
Good to hear that there is now a taxi rank at El Pinillo, but how busy is it.?
There's a taxi rank opposite the hotel Pez Espada, but never any taxi's parked there on a regular basis, and you could be stood ages waiting for one to pass by and maybe park up for a while before driving off.
Thanks for the tel number.

Sanji
Having been on the Malaga airport train station forum people have said there are no ramps and don't even attempt to get to the station if you have a suitcase, wheelchair etc as there are some very steep steps to climb!! Who is right??

Katy
yes, there are steps to get up and down(maybe 15 or so), no ramps.
Thanks for all you info which has been most helpful.

Sanji, thanks for your link. On your map I have found where we are staying which is nearer to the blue train station (We are renting a private villa right on the corner where th "Stra de Circunvalacion" meets "Ave de Carlota Alessandi"). It doesn't seem that far from the station but a bit of a walk with cases, pushchairs etc after getting off a flight.

We are actually 4 adults & a toddler, I put 5 adults earlier oops!!

I have a quote for a cab from the airport for 32 euros (that quote is to torremolinos) each way so perhaps that will be our best bet as the train will costs us at least 20 euros plus taxi fares.

Very grateful for responses and if any of you know of any reccomended bars, restaurants or pools in the area that can be used by non-residents le me know, Renee xx :D
Renee

the train will costs us at least 20 euros
??? The train fare is €1.25 each, multiply that by 4 it comes to €6 if the toddler is young enough to go free. Even with two ordinary taxis at €5 that comes to €16 each way- so your transfer will cost double or nearly £30 extra for the return.

Katy

Good point about wheelchairs, probably not wise. Also suitcases without wheels would be a pain (but they always are) if you couldn't find a trolley - get a decent holdall with wheels. And if you hit a rare day when it's raining you would get wet. But otherwise any able bodied adult with sensible luggage should have no problems if they are capable of using public transport in Britain - and I think that's where it all goes wrong because so many aren't!!

Edit: I've just realised that in my rush yesterday I altered what I had started to type - what it should say is total for the train is €5 if the toddler is young enough for free or about €6 if older - not sure what the child discount is as Spanish Railways aren't as generous as in Britain.
Oh right I thought the train 5 each. Thanks again for info!
just got back last night & found the train,really easy to use.it was no hassle at all.
we also used the train,a couple of times,during the week,i would definately use it again & the tip,about taking the trolley,was really appreciated,as i would never have thought of it.
thanks everyone
tracy
Thanks for the feedback Tracy, so many people don't bother.

Possibly coincedental to this thread starting - in March the Andalucian regional government has announced the first €160 million worth of contracts for extending the line from Fuengirola to Estepona. Obviously won't be ready this summer but something to look forward to! They also have plans for rebuilding the line from central Malaga to the airport, including a proper station at the airport.
I`ve never used the train from the airport but always use it to visit various place whilst in Benalmadena. We usually do a trip to Fuengirola. Toremolinos several times. Montemar Alto for the new park there. We have also got the train to Malaga for the day. The trains have always been on time, are clean and seem much more spacious than the uk ones. I can`t wait for the train line to be extended.
Sorry, you're going to have to wait! The first bit is a tunnel and has a 4 year allowance, the whole extension is reckoned to be about 10 years.
with the help of this thread I saved a fortune on my holiday. The train station is 5 min walk and it was a small cost to Benalmadena. cheers
Hi ya,
Off to Oasis Club nxt week arriving at Airport 7.30pm quite happy to get train but our complex is in Mijas which is further on than Fuengirola is it worth me getting the train and then grabbing a taxi to go on a bit further? Will there be taxis available at the train station at that time, i have a 7 year old with me so dont want to be stuck with no transport.
general opinion of other guide sites is that not only is it possible, it is the recommended way to get there. Looks like you could save over €50 on the round trip.

I've found a list of taxi "centrals" phone numbers for towns along the coast at http://www.costadelsolinfo.net/sider/taxi/index.html You could phone the Fuengirola number and double check before going.
At that time there are always taxis at Fuengirola. There are two places very close to the station: Come out of the station and you are beside a large roundabout, there is a taxi rank right there at the roundabout outside Supersol supermarket. If there are no taxis there, cross the main road where there is a bakers on the opposite side of the road, go left and turn right towards the sea and there is a second taxi rank opposite the bus station. The first rank is 50 yards from the station, the second 100 yards.
We're going for our first visit to Benalmadena in a few of weeks, staying at the Palmasol hotel which is by the marina. If we use the train where should we get off ? Is it a long walk uphill/downhill/level from the station ? what would the approx cost of a taxi be from station to hotel ?

andy
Arroyo/Benalmadena is the nearest station and it's a long downhill walk (approx 0.75km) to the marina. There is a taxi rank outside Arroyo/Benalmadena station and a taxi to your hotel will cost you €7-€8. The train fare is €1.45 per adult.

AM.
I want to catch the train from Malaga Airport to the Riu Belplaya what station do i get off and how
far is the walk to our Hotel we will arrive at 8.25pm on 10th September
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.