Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
malia
47 Posts
I have no idea abouty the Malia rape story so can't comment.

I have however been to the Greek islands many times and I've never heard or seen anything to suggest that the Police or Greek men in general take pleasure in hitting women.
Hi, me again.....

If you read that on http://www.malia.co.uk don't read too much into it. With respect there are a lot of immature individuals posting all sorts of untruths on that website that in the end, I just stopped looking at it.

The forum is a waste of time on that website, but I still found the restaurant and bar reviews/info very useful.

As for the incident itself, well if it did happen it is obviously horrific. Certainly in the 10 times I have been to Greece (twice to Malia now, and Faliraki at the height of Club Reps fame) I have never heard of any kind of crime like that. Sure there are fights (alcohol obviously playing a big part) but that happens in any UK city every Friday and Saturday night.

I have never seen or heard of Police or inded any Greek men hitting females. The Greeks are a very friendly bunch, always willing to sit down and have a chat (I had a great chat with a restaurant owner about the changes in Malia in the 10 years since we first went last year) and will go out of their way to ensure you have a good time. There are always idiots who spoil things and Malia tends to attract it's fair share but certainly nothing to worry about. 99% of people are out there to have fun, but as with most places in the world just keep your wits about you.

When we first went to Orlando in 1999 the Sun newspaper had a huge article the week before we went about a rape that took place in the hotel one down from where we were staying. Obviously horrific, but a very isolated case. It didn't stop me going that following week, or indeed for 6 or 7 times since.

You are staying at a lovely hotel in a resort which is lively (sometimes too lively but that's Malia), the weather will be excellent, the beers will be cold and you will have a great time. Don't let scaremongering on other forums put you off a holiday. Have a great time.
yes i did read it on there, from now on i will take what i read on there with a pinch of salt. we are going to enjoy our holiday, thanks again!
I went to Malia last year with my g/f and didnt have any trouble ourselves personally. Obviously seen a couple of fights but that is to be expected where you mix young brits, sun and beer. I would advise caution though, and just keep your girlfriend/wife near you at all times. Also i hope you have a hotel that is quite a bit away from the strip. We were right next to McDonalds and didnt get a decent nights sleep once!! We had a great holiday by the way, we just wish we would of stayed a bit furthr away from the strip.
We just got back from our hols on Sunday and eventhough we were staying outside Malia we did venture in on a few occasions. The whole area was overrun with youngsters having a whale of a time. Most of the really drunk ones who couldn't walk were Brits - Surprise, surprise! Having said that we didn't see any trouble (probably because we didn't stay later than 10.30pm.)

As long as you're prepared to turn a blind eye to the drunken frolics of these youngsters and realise that the noise in the resort goes on until around 6.30-7.00am you should be fine. Just be cautious- As you would anywhere else where large groups of youngsters congregate. When we got home my sons told me there had been a programme about Malia on tv last week and it was portrayed as an awful, dangerous resort - but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Common sense is needed that's all!

By the way where are you staying?
thanks everyone for all your replys not long to go now im so excited :sun2 :cheers shirley h were staying at the malia mare hotel, apprently its at the top of the strip near to the old town, i think we'l have the best of everything there by the sounds of it- the old town, malia and stalis just a short walk/ride away. considering visiting star beach at Herronesis (spelling!) too. best get back to my uni work now lol sun sea sand relaxation here we come!
Linzi-lou, As you're a youngster yourself, I'm sure you'll have a ball. My 22 yr old son would certainly have enjoyed it. The position of your hotel does sound ideal. Enjoy!!
We passed that hotel while going on a trip - you are not right in the middle of all the noise - so you should be ok.
It really just all depends on what you want from a holiday. Someone on this thread said that you can expect fights when you have a mix of young brits, sun and beer. It was also implied that it was no different to many cities in the UK. I go on holiday to relax in peaceful but fun surroundings and certainly to get away from the kind of people that give our country such a bad image abroad. I travel frequently around the world on business and others think we're just brainless idiots.....are they wrong? I'm all for dumping the clowns in Malia on Crete , Kavos on Corfu etc. That leaves the best parts of Crete free from the idiots who don't know the difference between Crete and the rest of Greece ....and certainly don't care.
The coolest clubs are around Chania anyway!
and others think we're just brainless idiots.....are they wrong?

Not from what we saw, on the occasions we ventured into Malia. I can't say we saw any other nationalities acting like the British. 4 o'clock in the afternoon, being unable to stand up and falling into the road, and then having the cheek to gesticulate at drivers for honking their horn. We saw large groups of boys aged around 15 absolutely legless. What on earth are their parents thinking of, letting kids of this age go away on their own.
I would be suprised if the story is true. certainly not from my experience if the Crete people. More likely drunken youth from other parts of Europe.....unfortunately !! If its true at all.
Im sure you will find the area fine. Crete is a wonderful island and the locals very kind and friendly.
ENJOY
:sun2
Nobody is suggesting anything against the locals. Indeed they are a fearless and proudly independent people. Having said that it is a very chauvinistic society within which the women get a pretty raw deal. However they certainly know how to share their pride and culture with visitors and this, together with the natural beauty of the island (especially the west) makes for a fascinating experience.....but not one to be found in Malia!
Finally i do have to take issue with the comment about visitors from other countries. The Scandinavians and east europeans rarely cause trouble.....it is 99% the Brits. The only other place I have witnessed issues is with the countless Russians who visit Cyprus. Even the Germans behave these days! Doesn't mean they don't have fun.
Crete remains No1 though!
I can't say we saw any other nationalities acting like the British.

Richard I'm not sure if you're referring to my quote, and you misread it. What I meant was that it was ONLY the British that were acting as yobs. I don't know what this culture is, that the only way some youngsters can enjoy is to go out and get totally rat a***d
I was trying not to mention the British youth !!!! Its very embarrasing to have to accept that they are the main culprits of disgraceful drunken behaviour. Malia seems to attract them. But what can we or other countries where they go on holiday do about it ?

We can blame parents but I think its a bigger problem than that ! What do you think the solution is ?

I prefer the west of crete. Its unspoilt as yet. Not so commercial or taken over by youth fun & booze seeking holiday makers. LONG MAY THAT LAST.

The west is largely unspoilt by the tourist and ideal for those wanting to experience traditional Cretan life.
We can blame parents but I think its a bigger problem than that ! What do you think the solution is ?

The parents are to blame for the 15/16 yr olds holidaying alone in such a place as Malia. As far as I'm concerned the buck stops there. However, as you say the problem is bigger than that. There were other large groups in their late teens early twenties who have every right to enjoy their hol in their own way, if and it's a BIG IF their antics don't spoil it for others. You ask for a solution - to be honest no-one will be able to ban the type of behaviour we're talking about. The best we can do is what's being done at the moment. Provide these 18-30 type places for them - of which Malia is the one in Crete. Then anyone who ventures here will know the type of hol to expect and will have no cause for complaint when there. As Richard said in an earlier post, it will leave the rest of Crete free for everybody else to enjoy!
it will leave the rest of Crete free for everybody else to enjoy!

Totally agree!! :sun2

Keep the 18-30's imprisoned but preferably on another SMALL island. Those under 18..... when found drunk and/or disorderly send them home then take away their passports !!!! AND fine their parents!!! :banghead:

Good solution ? :tup
Hmmmmm.....

I'm thinking different people, different ideas on what constitutes a good time, each to their own, world would be a dull place if we all did the same thing....and any other such cliches.

Malia isn't typical Crete, but there are thousands of people who enjoy resorts and holidays like that offered the world over. I also find it slightly odd that you bracket Malia with just the 18-30 crowd when quite clearly there are older holiday makers (including many foreign) who head back there year after year. It might not be the ideal place for a family holiday during the night but during the day it caters very well for this type of holiday, with waterparks, mini golf, a lovely sandy beach and entertainment galore.

As for me, I have travelled the world and visited some culturally outstanding countries and cities but I didn't feel out of place, and certainly didn't enjoy myself any less when I had a 10 day break reliving our youth in Malia last June. A holiday is what you make of it.....I mean I even enjoyed Beijing in 2006, and that is really pushing it. :rofl
jwhiting - there were parts of Malia I enjoyed - a pretty corner cocktail bar where we sat & people watched, a quietish strip with some nice restaurants and of course Old Malia. However I certainly would not have liked to be slap bang in the middle where they were turfing out of clubs at 5 and 6am, with total disregard for others. Malia however is not on its own. It seems to be the haven for youngsters for the last 2 years. Before that it was, Faliraki in Rhodes, Kavos in corfu, and Magaluf in Majorca. It just depends where there are cheap deals. That's where this site comes into its own. You can read up on the resorts, and if you don't like it - simple - don't go there.
Helen, you hit the nail on the head. In all these resorts there are parts that are actually quite enjoyable. We found a lovely cocktail bar called Mango halfway down the strip in Malia, it was by a mile the classiest looking of a large number but it only ever had a few people in it. It seemed the kids didn't care for it, but for a 30 something couple it was perfect, great for people watching, comfortable lounge chairs, good drinks and wonderful service. We always stopped by for drinks either going down the strip or going back up at night.

The key to Malia is staying away from the action i.e. in terms of accommodation. Linzi_lou has chosen a good hotel as it is far enough up one end of the (quieter) strip to avoid the most noise at night. We stayed at the Maria Rousse and were just a 3 minute walk from the top of the strip but couldn't hear anything either. Anybody who stays directly on the strip (i.e. above a bar for example) is going to find sleeping tough.

Still, we had a tree house for accommodation near a river on the Namibian/Botswana border back in Africa in 2006, and believe me, I would get more sleep staying directly on the Malia strip then I did that night!!! :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.