Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Does get warm in Marsa. we stayed there (and dived) last Easter - 2005 - and it was pretty hot then!! Never wore more than a t-shirt even in the evenings.

we stayed at the Kharamana - be careful if you're booking that hotel (which is fab) that you are in the Kharamana itself and not the inferior Amariya club at the entrance to the property. Our brochure was VERY misleading on this front. ASK the question!!

Diving was great - there is a resident Dugong on one of the local reefs, we also had encounters with dolphin (underwater - 2-3m away) and some extremely large turtles. Hammerheads and Whittips out at Elphinstone too

Try to get the direct flight - it's a long and bumpy 5 hours trek south from Hurghada
was it good ? what are hotels like ?
who does hoildays there and are there any flights only ?

thanks !
Can only answer one of your questions. Thomas Cook feature this resort.

Kath HT Admin
spadge,

Try HERE for more info

Mrs Mac
i'm pretty sure libra holidays go there
We're thinking of going to the Coraya Beach Hotel in Marsa Alam in November, has anyone been to this resort/hotel and what is the weather going to be like mid November? Will it still be hot enough to sit out and get a good tan?
:D
Portland direct have a few hotels
Hayes and Jarvis (diving) go to the Kharamana which is great - but insist you stay in the Kharamana and not the inferior Amaraya on the same complex !!
I have been in to Marsa Alam twice but only on diving holidays so I may not be fully correct but from my experience there is lttle or nothing outside of the hotels. These seem to be spaced out as mile intervals along the coast road from the airport all activities seem to be from the hotels and in the one I stayed at (twice) it was heaverly biased towards Italians may 75% of guests were italian. I would not recommed Marsa Alam as a general holiday stop however for diving its prett good. The big plus is the airport. Its still little used so it very quick in and out of it with none of the hassel of Hurghada or Sharm
is the snorkelling good Colin, or is it predominantly for scuba diving?
There is some snorkelling - many of the dive sites are OK for shore diving rather than needing boats as you do in Hurghada and elsewhere - get a good hotel though as you will be fairly well restricted to it's confines - the is NO infrastructure at all yet in Marsa alam.
I was in Marsa Alam earlier this year. We stayed at the Kahramana Beach Resort, which is a nice resort complex. If you're into diving (as I am) then you'll have a fantastic time there. The resort is quieter than Sharm El Sheikh or Hurghada but that makes it even better if you want to go scuba diving or snorkelling.

And don't worry you'll get a tan alright...even in November the temperature can easily hit 30 degrees!!!! Just don't forget to pack the suncream

p.s. you'll notice that 90% of the tourists there are Italians.
If anyone is considering booking the Kharamana Hotel at Marsa Alam - which we too strongly recommend - be careful that you are booked into the Kharamana hotel itself and NOT the Amaraya/Club Amaraya which is on the same complex but has separate (inferior) pool and has no access to the Kharamana Beach. You are issued different coloured towels and are turfed off if you attempt to walk the 5-10mins from the Amaraya (main gate to the complex) to use the beach at the Kharamana itself. Amaraya guests are given a (free) minibus service to a different beach altogether.

At least one major UK tour op has pretty pics in the brochures of the Kharamana but rooms are stated as being "Amaraya Club Rooms" with no reference that I can find to it actually being a different hotel with inferior facilities!!! Be WARNED :!: :!: :!:
hi we are thinking about going to marsa alam next august, have recently come back from conrad in sharm and loved it, have heard diving etc is better still here am thinking of booking the lamaya beach resort. does anyone know any info about it, havn't tried diving (yet) but got hooked on snorkling is marsa alam good for this to. would realy apriciate any info. thanks.
who does holidays there ?
and anyone do just flights ?

many thanks
Thomas cook TV are really giving this a push.

There's a special 15 minute show that is on rotation at the moment just featuring Marsa Alam.

They're hitting hard with the prices now aswell now that the airport is fully open.

4* HB for £259...

Worth a look to get a feel for someof the hotels at least :)
Hi everyone!

Iv just booked with Thomas Cook to go to Marsa Alam in August next year. We'll be staying at the new Calimera Habib due to open in November. 8)
We have booked to go to the Iberotel Lamaya Hotel on 23rd December at Marsa Alam but are very confused about visas. I understand we will need one as it is outside the Sinai area, but can we get it at Marsa Alam airport or must we get it before we go (we are running out of time?).

Also what will the weather be like at Christmas, will it be warm enough to swim and get a tan?
You can get a visa on arrival at Marsa Alam - no problem.

Temperature should be around 24-25 degree, so tanning not a problem (may need a jacket in the evenings though) - water temp between 18-21 degrees, so the sea will get a bit nippy after a while unless you are the hardy sort!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.