Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Moped Hire
15 Posts
Hi Benotto, been quiet on here all week (for some time really, being out of season) so don't think you are being ignored without any response !
Myself - don't bother much with scooters now, only borrowed our shack owners on the odd day a few years back.
As you must know, everyone has a scooter for hire, from shack owners to bar owners and room boys and as I have said in other posts, if you know your bike and what to look for then you know if it's worth getting on it or not for the price.
I would say expect to pay around 200rps a day for hire, 1400rps for the week - negotiate and you will get for a lot less.
Have fun - but helmets are now coming in as an official item (thought they were a few years ago..) so keep an eye on the helmet law - or face the fine.
last year we just stood on the street and shouted out 'moped hire' and we had a lot of people coming up offering their scooters. We got a brand new scooter for 3 weeks for £60 best thing we ever did because we saw so much more of goa
Cheers or the info...

Almost used both your recommendations in the past. Shack-owners brothers son n law has a mate who can hire you one.

The reason i ask about reputable ones is due to needing a skid lid as you have pointed out. And you're right, the freedom it offers is fantastic - nipping into Mapsa is so easy, that and and visiting those 'quiet' beaches... loved being able to visit Querim Beach, lovely drive and lovely beach.

Really looking forward to going back.

Cheers Spike (from one Yorkshire man Man to another)?

Moved to Scotland 6 months ago.

Thanks
Reasonable quality helmets are very cheap to purchase, Mapusa or Panjim (Calangute/Candolim +50%!) so get you own and rent a scooter cheap?
lasy year was the first time we did a scooter so we just followed our noses some mornings getting up at 6am to go on an adventure without a map...next year I going to get a map as I think we missed loads and we also never went to any beaches lol
As always I'm amazed at the enthusiasm shown here every year an this subject. I often wonder if anyone asks themseleves the questions, have I got a valid licence to ride this, and have I got good valid insurance to cover me if I have an accident?. If the answer is no you should think again very long and hard before proceeding Every year the roads in Goa get busier and busier, the accident and fatality rate in India is among the worst in the world, yet off people sail on the roomboys scooter, without a care in the world, not a clever thing to do , in my opinion. Try reading the likes of the Goan Herald on line daily for a few weeks, and you'll be amazed at the fatal accidents that are reported on a daily basis to riders of mopeds and the likes, and then think again, before you sign up for this gamble.
Alan
but you can have valid insurance which covers medical and personal liabillity provided through a good travel policy,and an international driving permit/licence is legal in india.
damage the bike or another vehicle and you pay. the benifits outway the risk
international driving permits cost around £5-50,you can get them from post offices check for your nearest one that does them,you will need your UK licence,1 passport type photo fill in the form and 5 mins later walk out with you international,failing that you can get them from the RAC or AA look online
I would be very surprised if many people picking up scooters have anything like proper insurance cover that will be any use whatever to them in the event of a serious accident or injury, regardless of what they say or think. Your travel insurance will be of no use, and your car or motorcycle insurance from the UK, will, in the vast majority of cases, not come to your aid either. It suits most people to turn a blind eye to the consequences of all this, and take the usual view that nothing will happen to them, but unfortunatley with the deplorable driving standards in India it may well do so, and if it's a serious accident, without good insurance, you could be in a great deal of trouble
Alan
I'm with Gramps on this one. Every year I think it must be great to hire a moped.Then I think again while sitting in a taxi and watching the appalling driving from both tourists and locals. Then I think when was the last time I drove a moped. The answer is never. Sadly many people on Goa roads are the same as me but take the chance anyway.
Thanks for that MCB, usually when I post on the dangers here most people try to claim that their insurance and what not, is quite sufficient. I've carried full comp. car insurance for more years than I care to remember with several of the main insurers in the field and none of them include full comp cover, to take off abroad on mopeds whenever i fancy, and I'd be surprised if and normal car insurance policy does.
Last year I watched two giggling teenage girls having a shot on a moped they had just hired, they shot into a hedge giggling madly. Ten minutes later they passed me speeding up Holiday Street to the dreaded T junction where Daytrippers office is, a noted accident spot, where I close my eyes when my taxi elbows out into the traffic stream. There was no way they had insurance to cover them. As far as the fabled International licence goe's it certainly indicates you have a driving licence but it just saves you paying the boys in brown when you are stopped, If you hav'nt got a licence you just pay the bribe and carry on your merry way.
Nothing I post here will deter people from hiring anyway, and for some the price they pay could be very high indeed. Recently there has been appeals for people trying to raise the £50,000 for air ambulances to get loved ones home, thats the sort of thought that should be in your head when hiring scooters,not the lure of exploring distant beaches. Take a taxi, it might be the best decision youb ever make.
Alan
A bit off topic but what about car hire?
What would the expected cost of 2 weeks rental be?
Surely they would include insurance as standard?
I always feel really hard done by, and think i`m losing out by not hiring a scooter, and each year before we go we always say "we`ll give it a go this year" but i always loose my nerve once there and see the traffic and terrible driving. i wouldn`t dream of hiring a bike here(london) as i`ve never driven one before so i dont know what makes me think it would be ok and i would be any safer in Goa. So sadly think we`ll stick to taxis.
I would still like an idea of price for car hire?
We stay with a friend who drives a taxi but would like to calculate the difference between the two.
I know it's safer to go by taxi but to monopolise him for a fortinight may be too costly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.