Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Fiji
15 Posts
Hello, looking to go away at the end of august...
would people say that it is not worth going to fiji if thats the only place you are going... i mean is it too far away to just go there for a 2 week holiday?
am thinking of travelling to Oz next year...would you suggest it is worth going somewhere else this year and saving Fiji on route or back from Oz?
You know what I mean anyway!
Just looking for some advice!
Thanks in advance!
It's all about what is best for you Caroline! Where else would you like to go in the world? I have to say that if it was me I would go to Fiji this year but look at a stopover as well( perhaps New York or San Fransisco). Depends which airline you choose as to which stopovers you can get. Lets face it, it doesn't cost any more! For Oz I would have a stopover which would help to break up the length of the journey- Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpa- depends what you want. Again some of these stopovers may not be possible with different airlines ( for example- you won't get KL if you fly BA). And of course you can get stopovers both on the way out and on the way back! Go for it!! :D
I would do as Fiona suggests and go to Fiji this year, with a stop over in San Francisco (or maybe Vancouver).
When I came back from New Zealand a few years ago I had stops at Hawaii and Los Angeles, but afterwards decided I would have preferred Hawaii and New York. We did this as part of a round the world which enabled us to have stop offs in South East Asia on the way out and the Pacific coming back. Last year when I visited Australia I had a stop off in Kuala Lumpur going and Penang (free internal flight when flying with Malaysia Air) on the way back.
I'm quite envious, Neighbours recently visited Fiji and really enjoyed it.
Hi

Fiji is very lay back type of holiday we went there three years ago and had a great time we stayed at the Warwick Resort on the coral coast it was very good there is lots of resorts along that part that are very good .
We did day trips from there to places you could book at the the resort. Suva is not much to see it was dirty and a lot of get you into my shop and hard sell if you get what I mean
The other week we had was on Denarau Island it is just out of Nadi it is joined to the main island by a causeway we stayed there in timeshare next to the Sheriton Resort it is very good also if you want to do day boat trips to the other islands this is the place to stay as they go from there and it is a long slow trip back from the coral coast if you are staying two weeks I would split your stay to both places
I would book in advance all your accommodation and your bus trip tp your resort Rosies do most of the bus trips when you arrive at the airport you are on Fiji time they say and it is slow but they will sort you out and get you on the right bus just remember to say Bula to everone it means hello and every one says it to you have a great time there we did if you want any more info just ask and I will try and help
thanks very much for your replies!!
as i said before, the reason why i was just questionning whether i should go this year is because i'm to go to australia next year so wondered whether i should just combine it with that rather than going all the way twice!! although im sure i wouldn't mind going twice!
but i think you make a good point as you get to stop off somewhere on the way there and back... so that makes the trip more worthwhile as well i suppose as you are going to another place!!!
do you think that two weeks or 10 days is a good time to go to fiji? from going to the caribbean i sometimes think two weeks is a bit too long, but i wonder if with the long flight its worth it was 2 weeks!
You seem in dought about your trip the advice about staying off is good advice about the time for your stay in Fiji you alone have to make up your own mind on that we stayed the two weeks and injoyed every momment of our stay .
The time you stay in a place is only what you make of it some are bored from the time they get there and some want more time there.
what companies did you guys travel with?
Hi Again

As we come from Australia I do not no if I can help on Companies it was Qantas holiday we had and a week of time share.
Hello Caroline

Sorry I can't be much help with giving you a company name. I usually do
DIY holidays. But I think Kuoni probably do holidays to more exotic places.
Thanks for the information - we are also looking at a stop over here..

Anthony Osude
The Foreign Office has updated its travel advice this evening, advising Britons against all but essential travel to Fiji, due to the prospect of an imminent military coup .... click here for more.

David
Just an update on the news about Fiji the Australian goverment has warned us not to travel to Fiji and the news last night showed people leaving there it is a shame this has happened as so may jobs will be lost by people not going there
The level of warning for Fiji is now the same as for Indonesia including Bali. I'm quite partial to Fiji and the Fijians and have been there 4 times all up. But I had to laugh as I heard on the telly that they put the coup off for a few days because the army had to play rugby against the military. God love them ... they have really have their priorities right :shock:
Just to add that the Australian travel advisory for Fiji has been reduced to 'Exercise Caution'.
Cheers Geri
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.