Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Beleaguered Carnival Splendor to dock tonight

Carnival Splendor, which suffered an engine room fire on Monday and lost power, will arrive this evening in port at San Diego.

In a week where there has been no hot water, no hot food and no air conditioning, passengers will be relieved to disembark and have already been telling friends and family via their mobile phones of the bizarre on board conditions.

Instead of lavish meals, the unlucky passengers have been eating spam and poptarts flown in by US Navy Seahawk helicopters as they waited for tugboats to pull them ashore.

Passengers report long queues for the cold food - there are almost 4,500 guests on board - and an interesting bonhomie having emerged as there was nothing much to do except stand around and chat.

Carnival Splendor went onto auxiliary generators on Monday after the engine room fire. Engineers could not restore power so the ship's facilities ground to a halt, including the use of the swimming pool (no way to pump the chlorine).

Carnival UK and Ireland sales and marketing director Lynn Narraway said: "The ship is expected to arrive in port at around 8pm and as it gets closer to the shore the passengers have been able to use their mobiles. The ship's phone system is also working so passengers can make calls free of charge.

"We have a large team in San Diego working on hotel bookings and transportation for the guests."

With permission from Travelmole
They already have the Tshirts that say "I survived Carnival Splendor's Spamcation'.
:rofl
For the real story, read the CD's account, here :-
http://johnhealdsblog.com/ Scroll down to part 1...
It's a great account of a scary situation, handled well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.