Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Crete Advice
10 Posts
hi Jim, take a look at the resort reports for Sissi bay that may suite [we like it]

yasus
wizard
I'd suggest that you have a look at the west end of the island - somewhere like Kalives or Almerida. Kalives is the bigger of the two but both have a good selection of beachside tavernas, a nice beach and are within easy reach of Chania if you fancy a day out in town.

SM
I have only been to Elounda and it was paradise.It was one of the best holidays we have had.
I hope to return this September/October.
yes Elounda is nice, been 3 times and lots of good restaurants :cheers
I agree with SMa's advice to head for the more natural beauty and Cretan character of Western Crete. It's good to be within striking distance of Chania (great atmosphere and history and some good restaurants). The further west you go from Chania, the more dramatic the scenery. You must see Falasarna and Elafonissi beaches and of course the amazing White Mountains....and the Samaria Gorge is well worth it. Visit http://www.west-crete.com/crete-daily-photo.php and you will see a new photo of W. Crete every day. Look also at the vast archives. The East of the island has the odd nice part but it is very limited compared to the West. I know several people who started by visiting the East but after discovering the West they never went back.
I agree Elounda is lovely although I haven't stayed there. We caught a boat from there over to Spinnalonga island a couple of years back. Aghios Nikolaos is another place I like the look of- It sounds ideal with its picturesque harbour and waterside tavernas. I wouldn't be surprised if we holidayed there one year.
I found the Ideon Hotel in Rethymnon to be a really nice place to stay.
The location is perfect and has plenty of restaurants on the sea front. We ate at a different place every day of our 2 week stay and was never disappointed. Just around the back of the hotel it feels very old-fashioned Greek style with local markets and lovely little pubs (where the locals go).

There is (was) only 1 nightclub but we never went but it wasn't the typical nightclub I don't think and there were no noisy youths around.

My wife and I are both late 30's early 40's and we really enjoyed it there, I think the prices have gone up at the hotel otherwise I would definitely go back. Also the prices in Crete for drinks are similar to UK prices and with the Euro not doing so well against the GBP eating out may also have increased slightly although the food wasn't too expensive.

Hope this helps, I love Crete :)
Me and my partner are in our early 40's and have been going to Kalives for the last 10 years - absolutely LOVE it....you make your own entertainment but we have never ever had a bad holiday x
Elounda, booked to go again this year
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.