EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi every one i suppose it depends on your sense of humour but i thought it all quite funny.

But i'm here to say we are hoping to move to spain in the future, the house is on the market and we plan to rent somewere for a while.

My husband is 62 and i'm nearly 60 years young.

We have a friend who has bought a property in the murcia area and they hope to be out there in april.

I wont pretend i'm not a tiny bit anxious but we are going to have fun viewing different propertys.
In fact i think it might be a good idea to rent for a while in an area which we like just to see.
We are not in any rush and we have to sell the house first.

Opinions welcome.
Mopsy :D
Mopsy
I retired last Christmas and moved to Spain with my husband in March. After selling our London house we set off to a flat we had arranged to rent for 6 months in a small town called Oliva (midway between Valencia and Alicante) where we had already spent several happy holidays. We found a house we loved almost at once and bought it. I can say honestly I haven't regretted our big move for one minute. Our quality of life is much better here than in London, the weather is great most of the time (although everyone here says the summer was dreadful, there was quite a bit of rain !) and almost everything is cheaper than in London - including property. We've travelled round Spain quite a bit and I really think there's something for everyone here. Although there are some Brits (and others) here, Oliva is fairly Spanish (English is not widely spoken, my nearest neighbours don't speak it at all, I am trying hard to learn Spanish but it's nearly 40 years since I was at school ....).
It's very much a town, I have never liked the country much, and for us it was a case of RETIRING not MOVING abroad. We wanted to be near the health centre, shops, public transport, etc, and other people. Although I love my new home town, I can appreciate the sheer exuberance of Benidorm, and the utter peace and quiet of some of the little villages I've seen (and honestly a few of them are straight out of spaghetti westerns). I can even understand why some people just want to settle down on an urbanisation with lots of other Brits.
I wish you lots of luck, I think its a great idea to rent first, if I would presume to offer any advice at all its just to do a bit of travelling round when you get to Spain before you settle - and maybe learn a bit of Spanish !
Best wishes
Sue :) 8)
Thankyou!

All your comments have been taken on board.

I realy appreciate any infomation as regarding moving to spain.

We to ...will also be looking at this as a retirement home.

:) Cheers
Mops
Happy New Year everyone and many thanks for your input.
I understand your concerns Alsacienne but rest assured I have done a tremendous amount of research and am convinced that moving to Spain is the right thing for me, I feel that there are more positives than negatives in the move, as O.D. points out I am more concerned in moving to the right area, I certainly wouldnt want to move into the middle of a rough area. I spent 5 days in October being shown around the Rojales area and viewing properties to see just what my money can buy. Got to say that I was quite satisfied with the trip, some good areas and some bad areas, we will be coming out in August for 2 weeks to take a more extensive look at the area, and presumably as it is the hottest month, to see how we get on living in the heat, ( more research )
Didnt manage to get to Algorfa or Almoradi but will definately be visiting in Aug.
Please keep the advice coming, good or bad its all taken into account.
:glynis
Happy New Year to you too Kenbo,i have friends who have a villa in Algorfa,they bought there about 5years ago and have never looked back.My brother has been to El Pinet to furnish his place over xmas and loves it did'nt want to come back,there is a mixture of appartments and villas there,as i said befor its only 5min walk to beach and 10mins into La Marina village,dont get it confused with La Marina urbanization it's nothing like that place.Algorfa is lovely we are hoping to go again in march since we last went a lot more shops and eateries have opened up they even have a webb site now algorfa.co.uk take a look.I wish you well in search.
Almoradi is a nice area,my father has a apartment there

it is very spanish :)
hi everyone,newbie here,coming to the urb in august,looking to hire a car for a couple of weeks, ive heard the hire companies are very expensive,can anyone help...regards bernie
Welcome bernie.

Whilst you may perhaps pick up some info from La Marina residents here in our Ex Pats & Owners Abroad forum, car rental for holidaymakers is more frequently discussed in our Costa Blanca forum ... please click here for our car hire topics. You may also find some tourist info about La Marina in the Costa Blanca forum.

David :wave
why does everyone slag off the urb, we love going there, the peace, tranquility and pace of life is great, alright its not beverly hills but hey its the good old urb.i bet if it wasn`t for the urb a lot of people would still be in the "on its last legs uk ". we are back there in august and cant wait...regards bernie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.