Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Xel Ha
8 Posts
I would have thought that anywhere from Cancun down the Puerto Aventuras strip would be OK

ATB,J.
Personally I would choose the Playa-Del-Carmen/Playacar area, it's about 33 miles (which equates to about 1 hour on a coach stopping at other hotels).Big plus is that there are plenty of other activites all accesible from the area.We have been to Xel-Ha 3 time in 4 visits and plan on going again next May.

Depending on what you want to do I would advise against combining Tulum and Xel-Ha, we did that the first time and didn't feel we had enough time to really experience Xel-Ha.

You can travel to Xel-Ha from Cancun, but it's about twice as far.
Thanks for info, we are looking to stay in Riviera Maya area
We enjoyed Xel Ha so much I was contemplating going back one day.

We stayed in the Grand Bahia Principe Coba (back in 2007 so no current info available from me but plenty available on the web).
We got Taxis down to Xel Ha but could have walked it or got the local bus as it was either the next stop down or the one after.
Had a great day there without the limitations of having to keep up with everyone else's timetables.

If you look on Google Earth you can see Xel Ha and moving up the coast you can also see the various hotels which may help you decide. Always check the reviews first though if you can.

We did Xcarat on an organised trip as it was easier than trying to arrange our own transport as there were 11 of us that time. We picked the day that also had the evening show - well worth it.

If you haven't already booked, once you have an idea and price, it is worth a check with the Caribbean Warehouse, who I have found to be good and honest. They have booked all our Caribbean holidays bar the first one we went on and I have had no issues with them. You do have to speak to them to get the best prices and first hand advice on many of the hotels.

There used to be a couple of threads about Xel Ha, Xcarat and another about peoples experience with the CW
Thank you Steve, we have booked to go to the Catalonia Riviera Maya in October
Right in the middle of Puerta Aventuras so you should see the dolphins on a daily basis!
We did go deep sea reeling from there but it was a rainy day so not seen at its best, and we did use a big taxi to get there so you should be able to get an easy quote for a taxi to Xel Ha or even Xcarat as you are in the middle. With Xcarat it may be worth investigating the double day ticket as there were a couple of underground rivers to float down as well as a couple of cultural shows to get round and see.
The main difference with Xel Ha is that the river was not underground and there were turtles in it. It was basically wandering around a big park both in and out of the water.
Check out both their websites, but if you don't like spending a lot of time in the water make sure there is enough to keep you occupied.
Hope you enjoy it.
X-Plor is anoyher interesting option... less wet, but need a head for heights..

ATB,J.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.