Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Well I'm still really excited about my holiday to Corfu in the summer although technically it is part of Greece. I agree that it's scare mongering and iresponsible.
Same here Shirley , i am looking forward to my holiday and wont be put off going
wont stop us going to Zakynthos in may either.... the main problems have taken place around the two main centres of government [Athena and Thesaloniki ]

the greeks have been our friends for many years and now need our support to bring in currency to the country

yasus
wizard
hi wizard....Im getting to pefkos some how july/aug....feel same as you but been concerned ....not just because of the troubles in Greece, but the general fraility of the travel industry at the moment.

I didnt want to book early incase the tour operators got into trouble due to slow bookings due to people worried about money. So decided to hold fire ( im usually booked by sept to go following summer). So Ive been part of my own problem.

Didnt know what was going to happen about the euro in Greece, and worried if paid for hols could loose my money ect if Greece left the euro.

Then I couldnt find hotel I wanted being offered by main travel agents. The only one offering it was using photo of a different block of apartments ...not the block I liked.

Then I had a health scare, and worried incase I wouldnt be fit to go.

So here I am in Feb and not got anything sorted :yikes .

The fact there is problems around the mainlands cities is not a problem....why are the people we rely on at the top so short sighted sometimes ....do they live in our world...

Line of thought is I need do a DIY . Phone hotel direct....book some flights....and sort transfers. Scarey for me when I dont have 100% convidence in the travel industry at the moment. Getting a flight and my hotel just for the same dates is a daunting task for me. I dont know where to start , which airlines I can trust ect....

ps...next time I visit Liverpool or manchester I'll be straight down the townhall to register the fact Im there :rofl
Well it definately wont stop me from visit Crete and mainland Greece this summer!!!!! I was in Crete last month, and there was no problems at all....the foreign office is giving the wrong impression to holiday makers and potential holiday makers. .......this is the last thing that the Greek economy needs !!!
Anyone reading this advice might imagine they're visiting a war zone. This is the last thing Greece needs. Hague really should think twice about making statements like this. Just two small areas of two Greek cities to avoid if trouble starts. I'm sure this will put people off visiting.
The advice is a load of ****!
Apparently William Hague was supposed to have said this on the Andrew Marr show, I didn't see it myself, but am assured that it has been viewed repeatedly & checked, no mention of what he is supposed to have said. Still viewable on iPlayer?
Expats are advised to register in whatever country they choose to live in just so they can be located for all sorts of reasons, but holidaymakers to Greece? Just plain crazy!
Just watched Hague on the Andrew Marr show and he certainly didn't say anything about Greek tourism whatsoever.
Having been to half a dozen Greek Islands during 2012, I can assure William Hague, and any other political pratt of any party, that you would be safer on ANY Greek island than you would be standing outside the Houses of Parliament in London.
Even in the port of Pyraeus after dark, you would be as safe as in Portsmouth (I know it well!) after dark.
the 'importance of letting the Government know'?? Big brother is watching you. I feel a thousand times safer in Greece than I do here. I somehow dont see myself calling up William Hague in August and letting him know that we are off to Skopelos for 2 weeks. Maybe we should give him 2 rings when we get back safely - like I used to do with my mum
Apart from the last two posters - who I don't think noticed the dates on the item they were responding to
- this thread was actually from early 2012 !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.