Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thanks for posting Dragon. Interesting.

Another example of decisive Indian government!

It will probably come down to how many Goan politicians have scooter rental businesses! :rofl
i post these articles as information,personaly,i still believe only qualified bikers should hire bikes/scooters in Goa and that the helmet rule is correct,death may not be the worst thing following a serious head injury and unqualified drivers are just a danger to themselves and everyone else
Can the folks already in Goa confirm whether this is being enforced?
I agree with dragon, I am not too bothered if unqualified/ unexperienced scooter riders wish to wear a crash helmet or not, but some of them are a danger to pedestrian (me!) and that I do object to.
chilly wrote:
not seeing any evidence of helmets as yet :que

As predicted (and predictable!) the new rule was "deferred" at the very last minute. This, of course, is what has happened every time in the past.

It was reported above, on October 2nd, by Dragon..........
Thanks. One of Dragon's links was slightly ambiguous, inferring that the lifting of the proposed ban was for pillion riders......"making wearing of helmets optional for pillion riders".
The vast majority we saw were not wearing crash helmets.
Therer was a recent news item about some MP's turning up on bikes without crash helmets, the last part I saw said that they had been reported to the police and action would be taken.
Very few riders (including me!) wore helmets on the local roads. They seem to be very widely worn on the main roads.
Nothing seems to be implemented yet, although there have been lots of police checking for helmets on the highways (for drivers), and I seem to get stopped less, so I don't know if that's because they recognized me, or they aren't targeting 'foreigners' so much, which I seem to think they used to do.

When I first heard the news I wore my helmet on local roads near calangute, although as there was no enforcement to be seen, I have gone back to just wearing it for the highway which seems to be the norm. I have to say there are still lots who don't wear it on the highways and if I didn't I am sure I'd get stopped as I seem to go past lots of police on the mapusa - margao stretch...
And that was the stretch of road where I actually did see helmets being worn by drivers(but not passengers)
I have no idea about types of crash helmets but those ones were less bulky looking and so therefore easier to carry around I would have thought
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.