Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
I have gone DIY to Thailand and have stayed in the Landmark and Koh Samui. The Landmark is fabulous- I think it should be 5 stars. Go for an upgraded room. We had a deluxe corner room and it was like something out of a filmset. We are going again next April and are going Club Level- great for the cocktails in the evening and the little snacks they give you. I will look out their website for you. You fly to KS with Bangkok Air. There are loads of flights every day- easy to book and they can be very flexible ie if you turn up a little early they will put you on the first available flight. Beautiful airport - I have photos of it on on the photo gallery.You would never guess by looking at the pictures that it is an airport!
By the way the Landmark is next to the Skytrain stop so it is very convenient and right in the middle of a great district for restaurants. Be prepared for the girlie bars around it though. But it is Bangkok! Great bar in the basement of the Landmark with a fabulous group playing.
I am not sure though that I would go DIY to Thailand and the Maldives. A bit too much organisation for my liking!
If you want ultimate luxury then look no further than the Peninsula or the Oriental in Bangkok. These two are definite honeymoon choices. On Koh Samui I am not sure about Rockies but thought it was not in the same league as the Royal Meridian. The RM is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World. Very peaceful situation and an amazing infinity pool. Another popular honeymoon hotel in a peaceful situation is Tongsai Bay. This hotel books up very quickly though. One final suggestion for luxury, intimate setting but on Chaweng Beach, close to the nightlife is Poppies. Loads of privacy in your own cottage with your own little garden. It is on the best part of the beach. ( If you don't want the nightlife close by then pick from the others but look it up before making a decision. It is beautiful.
I wouldn't do Thailand and the Maldives DIY but would do either Dubai/ Maldives or even Thailand/Dubai( flying with Emirates who stopover in Dubai anyway)
I would also ask yourself if you really want three destinations on your honeymoon? That can be really tiring! We went on a holiday to Hong kong, Bangkok and Koh Samui a few years ago and half way through the Bkk part of it I would just fall into bed at the evening and fall asleep right away- not the best way to spend your honeymoon!!!!

However, if you still want those three destinations stick with a tour operator. You have enough to sort out without the added hassle!
Thanks very much for the advice. I know what you mean about the 3 centre resort, but really we have our hearts set on Thailand/ Maldives - we're only going to Bangkok because we have to for legal reasons.

Perhaps we will stick to the tour operator then - I'm already exhausted just from reading reviews and forums for advice, never mind trying to co-ordinate all flights, transfers etc myself!

I still would like info about Rocky's if anyone has any experiences of this place. I like the informality and the pictures on the website are exactly what we want, although if I can't get a personal recommendation from someone I may stick to the Royal Meridien as you suggest.

For anyone reasing this who is thinking of getting married in Thailand, I found this useful posting on page 2 of the thread below from someone explaining the procedures in Bangkok:

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/board/about4776-0-asc-15.html
I'll bet you'll be so glad you HAD to go to Bangkok!!
By the way
the only hotel I suggested that I can give a personal recommendation for is the Landmark.
It might also be worth considering a hotel on the river. Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa has a nice resort style feel to it for a city hotel. If your in Bangkok for a few days it might be nice to have a good pool area to chill out by. Or for even more luxury (not that the Marriott is not comfortable) you could have a look at the Peninsula or the Oriental.

I tend to go for the riverside or river view hotels just because there is so much to see on the river and its a little cooler and its a good way to get to many of the interesting sights. Easy access to the Skytrain makes things a lot easier as well.
Found info on Rockies Resort and it is the one I was thinking of.
http://www.travelforum.org/thailand/messages/62915.html
I don't think you will be going there!
Thanks Fiona - definitely won't be going there! Think we'll stick to the Meridien - you could have just saved our wedding from being a disaster! Cheers
I went on to the Sawadee forum and did a search on the Meridien
http://forum.sawadee.com/search.php?mode=results
There are a few really interesting and informative posts there- not just about the Meridien but on other luxury hotels. The only two things against it is the isolation and it is not easy to swim in the sea there due to coral. These of course could be major depending on what you are looking for.

re Sunbears post- I agree with the Marriott- have stayed there and it is certainly more of a resort hotel with the pool and gardens. Saying that we are chosing to return to the Landmark because it is in a more convenient location. I did love sitting in the balcony of the Marriott though, watching all the river traffic.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293918-d302520-Reviews-Le_Royal_Meridien_Baan_Taling_Ngam-Ko_Samui.html

all great reviews! trip advisor is a good site and if you just type in Koh Samui you will see all the hotels, ratings and reviews. ( Maybe you have looked at it already?)
The last hotel I stayed at in Bangkok was the Meritus State Towers. I see its getting good reviews on Tripadvisor. Its an all suite property with all rooms being above the 50th floor level providing great views of Bangkok. It over looks the Shangri-La, Peninsula and Orientel, about 7mins walk to the Skytrain. I stayed in it during its soft opening so not everything was working...but it was only 45USD a night for what some people are describing as a 5star plus hotel so it was a snip.
Just realised that if you go to Landmark we may be in the hotel at the same time! We are there for 4 days from the 9th( after Hong Kong and Saigon!)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.