Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
That was interesting Sanjii. I always like to know a litttle of the history about resorts which I visit and to see pictures of "how it was"
You really are a mine of information and I think perhaps it was you who put a link to some history at the town hall, sometime last year.

"are we any better for knowing all this? "---- perhaps not but it beats housework anyday!
Adios
Sue
Very good Sanji.
Ithink you should be getting some sort of recognition from Benidorm for boosting their tourism. :lol:
Garry
Hi i have read that exact story i'm sure it was written by Derek workman, very interesting book and a great writer. :)
Hi Sanji, emailed your post to Dad and this was his reply.

researching the bikini angle............did britain have bikinis
then?.....impossible for a moped to reach madrid in that time.. look up the
distance and divide by 40..kilometres that is the ave. k.p.h in these
days!!! lots of poetic licence going on, nothing unusual. never heard of
a deprived son of a man so described......did he have free school dinners?

Let me know what you make of it.

Regards Sue :) :)
Hi Sue
Yes, we did have bikinis then :D not the skimpy sort of today, they were just like a full bathing costume with shorts, but had the midriff section missing. :D

I have read a lot of Derek Workmans articles...he has written books, writes for several magazines, web sites and has his own web site.
These can be found here.....or just put in the name Pedro Zaragoza into Google.
http://www.thisisvalencia.com/benidorm-predrot.html
http://www.derekworkman-journalist.com/
http://www.derekworkman-journalist.com/benidormdiscover.html
http://www.time.com/time/europe/etan/benidorm.html

Here is a page about Pedro Zaragoza, sorry it is in Spanish, but I think it can be translated on the original google result.
http://www.benidormytu.com/benidorm/pedro_zaragoza/pedro_zaragoza.htm
and another :wink:
http://www.fiestavendimiarequena.com/otras_fiestas/23_fiesta/23_pedro_zaragoza.htm

I think it was actually a "vespa" scooter that he reportedly went on to Madrid, and as I wrote that post in my own words :oops: then the use of the word moped may have been misleading, sorry :oops: Don`t quote me, but I think Madrid is about 200/250 miles away from Benidorm, so, travelling at 30 mph on a scooter would have took him 8 hours. :wink:
never heard of a deprived son of a man so described......

well. if he didn`t exist, then an awful lot of us have been duped. :D :wink: :kiss

Besos xxx
Sanji
Hi Sanji
Once again you have supplied loads more interesting info.
I have glanced through some of the links and will enjoy reading some more another time.
Sue
Sorry Sanji, no offence meant :( . It was Dad not me who made the comments. I wouldn't dream of upsetting you when you trailed all the way to the Flamingo Oasis for me to check out the best rooms. I really appreciated that :) I also love all your videos.

Regards Sue :) :)
Aww Sue
Nobody`s upsetting me love :kiss
I just hate it when things don`t "come over" very well :oops: and I`m not known for using these smiley emotions :oops: I always forget them :oops:
You should know by now :oops: that when I get something into my head, it takes over :oops: :rofl
I`m just sad I know :rofl
No problem Sue...don`t even give it a second thought hun :rofl

besos xxx
Sanji
I think its a lovely story, no matter if its all true or not. I'm very new to these boards but I have read a lot of Sanji's posts and looked at the videos.
Sanji is to be congratulated on her posts and all her help and advise, and lets face it thats what this site is all about. She has clearly put herself out to help people she does not even know.
I loved the story anyway :lol:
lets face it thats what this site is all about.

Exactly hun :wink:

One thing I have learnt this week....was that Benidorm suffered 2 terrible pirate attacks that ravaged the town and castle, and the last attack left the town inhabited in the 15 th century.

What good is knowing that...well, I`ve done the walk up to the cross and I have also walked to the end of that winding road that comes to a dead end.
Here you will find the ruins of an old brick building, which obviously was a "look out" for pirates, from its advantage point..... which now makes sense to me.
Told you I was a sad person. :oops: :rofl

besos xxx
sanJi
Not Sad at all Sanji...you're a Treasure!!! By the way I've never done the walk up to the cross where do you start off from to get there! :)
I totally agree. Its certainly not "sad". When I travel to foreign countries, I like to explore places, and its nice to know a bit of the history and culture of the places I visit. I don't spend all my time laying on a beach, I'm not the beach type.
I too have never visited 'The Cross', but there is another thread in these forums that answers your questions on how you get up there. I've jotted down the instructions myself so that I can take a trip up there next visit. I don't think we should deviate from Sanji's original thread. otherwise there is going to be a bit of repitition. Oh forgive me, I'm new here, I'm not trying to 'take over', sorry if it seems like I was.

Anymore 'history' lessons Sanji. I for one am very interested to hear them, no matter whether or not they can be authenticated. Its down to the individual to form their own opionion on whether or not its fact or mere legend.

Once again Sanji, may I personally thank you. I don't know you, and I'm a newbie to this Board, but I have read many of your posts and although I am a seasoned visitor to Benidorm, I have found the information you have posted in various threads to be of great help......Many Thanks.
Oh forgive me, I'm new here, I'm not trying to 'take over', sorry if it seems like I was.

Don`t you worry about that hun :D
If there`s one thing in life I have learnt......it is that all information is relevant. :wink:
I feel like I am taking this forum over at times.... :oops: I`m sure people get fed up of me :rofl but I just enjoy talking about Benidorm...or maybe I just like talking :oops: :oops: :oops: :rofl
Thankyou for your kind words :kiss and better late than never, welcome :D

besos xxx
SanJi
Well I just think credit where it is due does not go amiss. I would hardly think you were taking over the Forum. But you are clearly very passionate about travel and it seems you have a fondness for Benidorm in as much as the same way as I do.
many people reading these threads might be making their first trip to Benidorm (or any Resort for that matter) and any contribution that members can put forward in an effort to assist the reader with thier holiday plans must be a good thing.

The title of this Forum is 'HolidayTruths' and you are seldom told the truth when browsing through Holiday Brochures. I mean they do not update the photographs for one thing. Take The Thomsons brochure for example, they are still publishing photos of the Rio Park Hotel as it was before its refurbishment. I thought it looked ok then, but now following the refurbishment and having seen the results first hand, it looks nothing like it does in the brochure pictures.

The brochures seldom mention things like the quality of Room Service or Dining Room Service. Oh yes they have their 'star rating' as supposedly supplied by feedback from previous guests, but can they be relied upon? Not in my humble opinion. Nothing can beat 'hands on' experience from someone who has actually been there, done that and got the T-Shirt.

Ok, some people might not like what they read, and I appreciate what might be acceptable to one traveller will not be acceptable to another as we all share our own individual opinions. For example I would never stay at the Rio Park again because of the ruined holiday we had there a few years back with the cockroach infestation. I also don't like the refurbishments, too much black. The Hotel Entrance now resembles somelike like the entrance to a Ghost Train at the FunFair, but thats just my humble opinion which I am sure is not shared by others.

The idea of this Forum, or so I see it, is for members to post their views and experiences on Resorts and Accomodation in an effort to assist the reader when booking their own Holiday. And lets face it, the Annual Holiday is one of the biggest expenses we all face each year second to our Mortgages. If things go wrong it can often be very difficult to get a refund or be compensated. So pre-warned is pre-armed, in my view.

I'm sure no one feels that Sanji is "taking over". She has posted some extremely helpful remarks from what I have read, and thats what is all boils down to and the end of the day, a Forum where we can all share our experiences and assist each other, and from what I have read thus far, I'm new and there are an awful lot of posts I'd still like to read, this takes place on a daily basis. This site is a mind of information and I for one am happy I came across it. It was not recommended to me, and I'd never heard of it before, I merely typed in 'Holiday Truths' in my search engine and this site popped up, I took a look and was glad I did. I;'ve already learnt now how to get up to 'The Cross' which is something I have always wanted to do, and never known how to go about it before.

So, keep up the good work folks. :wave
Hi Sanji, I believe that street leading from the open air market to the indoor market is named
after him..avenida zaragoza.

Sue :)
Hi Sue
No hun. :cry:
That street is named after Don Juan Fuster Zaragoza....He founded the Lope of Vega which is an Educational Institution.

Here comes another history lesson :rofl in a nutshell :oops:
He was born on the 2nd September 1924 in Benidorm, he went to the University of Valencia, where he obtained a bachelors degree in science and chemistry...went to work in Barcelona
He got married in 1962, had 6 sons
He returned to Benidorm in 1956 and founded the "Academia de ensenanza "...or teaching academy.
He suffered a stoke in 1980 and died on the 8th March 1984 in Benidorm surrounded by his family.

This is a massive Institution, which includes the International college of Benidorm, the University of tourism, Language schools, Sports academys, outdoor pursuits and culture etc etc.
He was also involved in the town hall and virtually anything to do with Benidorm.
http://www.lopedevega.es/ingles/

Just shows what`s behind a street name :wink:

Besos xxx
sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.