Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Luci

We did Capri DIY from Naples last September. If you do go ahead and do this, you would be better leaving the ship quite early. I think it was about 11.00 when we left and just missed a Hydrofoil and had to wait a wee while for the next. Also the weather was absolutely dreadful, pouring rain, howling gale and thunder and lightning. When we got to Capri, we walked to the top of the town. You can take a funicular up however it was a steep but pleasant walk. When we got to the top is was very crowded with tourists so we walked back down, had a stroll around then got the Hydrofoil back. We met some people from our cruise who took the Hydrofoil to Capri after ours and apparantly nearly everybody was sick as it was so rough (glad I wasn't on that one) and also they were thinking of stopping the Hydrofoil because of the dreadful weather. However the weather did improve and thankfully we got back to Naples OK.

With hindsight we should have left earlier, found out more about Capri as if we had more time I would have like to take the bus to Anacapri.
Many thanks for your reply. Still not sure where we will end up, but will probably make the final decision once we're there.

luci :wave
Hi luci- don't want to put you off but when we were in Sorrento at Whit we couldn't believe how they were cramming people into the public buses (SITA) to get to Positano and Amalfi- sardines have much more room. It wasn't helped by the fact that the pier in Positano was out of action so it was not possible to get there by boat, which we were hoping to do. There was no way we were getting on a bus that crowded for such a long journey.
Capri we have done ourselves when on a cruise- very easy, just have to be aware that lots of people will want to get back about the same time. We took the bus up to Anacapri to visit the Villa Michelle (fantastic), and taxi back down to Capri town- lovely journey.
Sorrento now has an open top bus which takes you on a very scenic trip around the peninsula with great views of Capri.
That's certainly given us food for thought, thanks. Don't want to do the Amalfi drive if the bus is packed so will probably score that off the list.

I have posted information on getting around the area in the DIY excursion sticky topic. This was provided by a Sorrento resident in the Italy forum.

We are thinking of getting the hydrofoil to Capri, doing a cruise round the island and getting another one to Sorrento.

Where do you catch the bus to Anacapri?

It looks like we're in port from 7.00am till 4.30pm so will have to plan this very carefully to make the most of the time.

If I remember correctly- as you come out of the funicular- the main square is to your left and the bus stop is to your right. Hope that's the right way round- it was a couple of years ago!
It's a beautiful place, have a great time whatever you do.
Thanks Kate. :tup We are intending doing a cruise round Capri which takes about an hour so may do Anacapri and miss out Sorrento this time, otherwise we may be too rushed.

If you have any other information on doing any Med ports DIY, I'd be delighted if you'd post it in THIS TOPIC

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.