Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Nige,
I cruised the western Med from Jul 30 - Aug 06 2006 and was suprised that the sea was quite choppy around the 3rd to the 5th day although it wasn't enough to cause us any problems. I must say i was suprised as it wasn't really what i expected after reports that it was usually like a mill pond. anyway it hasn't dampened my spirit and will be going again this year albeit a week earlier.
ann
To Nige.

Like yourselves we holidayed for years in the Balearics, at various times of year, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We decided three years ago to cruise, and I was the one not too enthused about going. We have been on six cruises (four on med), and one "land" holiday since!!

Our daughter, who was 12 the first time is hooked on cruising too. Just book it, and tell wife and daughter where and when!!

Anyway, to answer the question posed, we found the med in late June/early July to be perfect. We have also cruised twice on med in October school hols, with no problems. The cruiseships are designed to cope with the natural movement of the sea, the med is a massive expanse of water and will only be like a "millpond" near to the coast. We have rarely had any problems with movement at sea, any quesiness felt is solved by taking a tablet which is highly effective.
Thanks for the replies so far.

Anni, you must have been at sea then on the night of 3rd Agust. We were at C'an Pickafort in Mallorca and the waves were enormous. Next morning the first two rows of beds on Son Baulo beach had been swamped and a lagoon had formed where folks had been sunbathing earlier in the week. I remember thinking that I would not have liked to have been on the sea that night.

We were told however by regular visitors to our hotel that they were freak conditions for August. I sincerely hope so.
I've only ever done a cross channel ferry between Britain and France before, but will be going on a cruise in 2007. I wasn't sick, but was getting the effect of seasickness coming on. Are cruise ships better than ferries at counteracting the wave motion ?

BTW i've read some reviews about the Western Mediterranean and the ports of call don't sound too good in some of those reviews. I hope it's better than some people say.
We sailed the Western Med this year from 19 - 26 August and it was fine, no problems at all with seasickness which was just as well as I'd forgotten to pack the seasickness tablets.

I find that cruise ships are much better at coping with the conditions that cross channel ferries. It's probably something to do with there being less cross currents in the Med than there are in the Channel.

luci :wave
Hi All,
Well the rougher weather definitely hasn't put the family off cruising in the med as we have booked exactly the same cruise again and on the same ship .
There was so much to see and do last year that lo and behold i am doing it again albeit varying the places . Nige "take a cruise" i can honestly say the family will love it. How old are your children ? You will be able to find a ship that should suit everyone as there are so many out there these days . I think cruising is the best thing since sliced bread!! :rofl Take a look at my review NCL Jewel
ann
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did actually book the cruise in November, Thompson Destiny from August 16th on the "Roman Epic" itinery. The wife has quite warmed to the idea but we haven't told our eleven year old daughter yet as she thinks it's going to be like Titanic.

How can I reassure her that icebergs in the Med in August are pretty rare?
We have done several cruises in the Med July/Aug and I would say we have only had very bad weather on two or three occasions. By bad I mean rough seas and both times on the day and a half at sea between Palma and Villafrance,even though it was still hot and sunny. Still it was,nt bad enough to spoil the holiday but was bad enough to postpone a couple of the entertainment shows.
Most of the ships make light of roughish seas and most of the time you would be unaware of the ships movement. I hope you have excellent weather in August as we are on the Celebration from the 27th July.Dont worry and enjoy the cruise. :D :) 8) .
Kavmick..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.