Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Stunning!
We have been 3 time and love the place. The scenery is amazing - the mountains really dramatic, the town is C13th I think and very Italian! There are plenty of places to experience real Italien food etc (and wine!) and you are very close to Malcesine, Torbole and Limone (other towns on the lake) by ferry across the lake. These are regular and reliable.
Malcesine is a lovely C13th town with a castle, Limone very pretty. You ca also catch a boat to visit the other end of the lake - Sirmione is worth a trip - another castle and very pretty town - with the worlds most amazing ice cream shops and pizzerias. Could go on and on - there's loads to do.

There is a lovely lake side walk and mid afternoon the wind whips up and you can watch the windsurfers come out! The atmosphere in the town at night is magical - very safe, very clean, no 'yobs', just lots of families having a good time. There are loads of walks - one up the side of a very large mountain (!) and an organised wine tour we have done twice now was excellent (To Grigioletti vineyards).

You can go to Verona for the day - I think it's about 1 and a half hours - and there is the Opera at night ( a must for anyone ----- even if you hate opera go for the experience!). Venice we didn't do from there - that would be a trek too far. Arco town is close and very nice.

Am guessing that you may be there for a week after your tour (?) - if that's the case you will have loads to do!

Could go on and on - if you need any info re hotels let us know as we know quite a lot of them and can recommend.

If you have a choice between Riva or Lido de Jesolo there is NO contest ----- Riva any and every day for us. Lido de Jesolo is a man made resort with a huge stretch of beach with rows and rows of sun beds and umberellas ----- and very flat. (We love the sea, but 3 days was enough for us .....)

If you want any more info let us know - we have found some ace web sites with 360 degree web cams so I'll try to post those when I've found them!

Re mozzies - none in either I'd say. July will be hot (but you always take a chance in Italy ..... one year we did a Cosmos Tourama (Aug) and when we were in Lido for 4 nights the weather was very very humid and it rained for 2 days!!! In Riva we had scorching weather 2 years together - the second year it hit 45 degrees! (Aug). 2005 we went and had really weird weather - we went when there were terrible storms in Austria so had 2 weeks of very mixed weather. Having said that the locals told us that that was very odd weather and before we got there they had had a 3 month drought and scorching weather ! I'd say that it can be mixed in either - Riva will have some signs of stormy weather as its a mountain resort, but that is normal and usually soon clears up. The storms are worth seeing (and hearing) anyway!

:lol:
Personally we always chose Jesolo cos we loved to go exploring into Venice for the day ... if you like the thought of that, you wont be able to do that to the same extent from Garda.

Nowt wrong with Jesolo :D
Hi Cidermonster

:wave

Have had a rethink re Jesolo --------you mustn't have stayed at the hotel we were at -----------------------------nightmare! I think our view of the place would have been better if we'd had a better hotel ....... as it was, we couldn't wait to get away. I didn't sleep for 3 nights because of the noise off the main road and the weather was terrible ------------- it rained mid August. Then, there was the food ----- chicken , chips and a bowl of fruit for 3 nights --------------- gggrrrrrrrooooooooaaaaaannnnnnnn!

I think we came away thinking that we may have enjoyed it more if the hotel had been better ----- we'd stayed in Sorrento before in a superb hotel and Jesolo was not what we'd experienced of Italy before. To be honest we prefer quaint, loads of history and more of the 'old' Italy ----- with some scenery. (We did visit Venice from Jesolo ...... and watched the eclipse from Padua!) ...... but for us Riva took our breath away! It was heaven after Jesolo and the 'hotel from hell!'

Cheers

Us Prestos

PS We're off to Sorrento this year and are now on a count down!
To be honest, i dont know if id like Jesolo in high season myself! We have been there mid May, and it was great - early season, not too busy, and a good base for seeing the Venetian region.

I prefer a mix ... i like Jesolo as a base, it's modern, and it's good for a relax on the beach or by the pool, but it's also close to exploring the older side of Italy too ... although like i said, i dont think i'd like it in high season!
Thanks Presto 2 for all the info on Riva - sounds like my kinda place!
I really would want to visit Venice from there - wonder how long it would take! We are thinking of the Cosmos Tourama tour - at Montecatini for 1st week - Do you know anything about the Imperial Garden Hotel at Montecatini? Our second week would be at the Garda Hotel in Riva - do you know anything about that hotel also? Food? best side of hotel to get room etc
Wondering what the weather would be like in Riva second week of July?
Think it will be Riva and maybe Lido another year!
Hi

We have the Imperial Garden listed HERE but as yet, no reviews. If anyone can assist, please post a review using the above link. Thanks.

Some hotel info HERE and HERE.

I've requested the Hotel Garda be added to the reviews section also. Hotel information HERE, found a couple of reviews HERE.

Try THIS WEBSITE for historical weather information.

Pippy :D
If anyone would like to post a review for the Garda Hotel, please do so HERE.

Many Thanks.

Pippy :D
Hi, glad you like the sounds of Riva

We have some good news for you! The Hotel Garda was the hotel nbext door to our hotel the first year we went and we know some friends who have stayed there. Our friends had travelled with Cosmos and had nothing but good things to say.

The hotel is about a 20 minute stroll along the lake side walk from the main town into Riva and about 30 minutes to Torbole the other way. It is just across the road from the lake itself and about 5 minutes from the small harbour. There are plenty of supermarkets nearby and travel agents where you can book your trips.

The hotel has a number of special events in the week - we heard them -

It is on a busy main road though, so if you get a lake view it will be noisy (BUT that was in August!) - but then again so are most of the hotels in that area. It's the main coast road but it's easy to cross and I suppose not that noisy that it will affect your stay at all. It's just nice to know and then it isn't a shock (ie if you are expecting to be in a quiet hamlet somewhere!)

Its one of the hotels that we have considered from Riva when we were thinknig of going with Cosmos. This year we did the Europa in the main square so when you're there, have a look at that one ---- if you return to Riva that is simply superb!

I'm sure you'll love it.

For a taster try these sites:

http://www.lagodigardamagazine.com/index.asp?Lang=2&Menu=70&Sub=313

http://gardalake.it/hotelgarda/

Any more questions re Riva please ask.
Hi Presto 2,

Thank you SO much for the information about Riva - the websites you gave were superb. Looks like I'm hooked! So you reckon we should ask for a room at the back of the hotel without a lake view so it would be quieter? Or is the noise worth it to have the lake view?!!! How noisy are you talking about at night - I like my sleep!

Did your friends have any recommendations about rooms and did they like the food?

Thanks again
Hi, so glad you're hooked - you'll love it!

Hubby has just reminded me re the Garda that there is a garden area infront of the hotel which puts it back off the road.

It is a busy road but not overly noisy - and our hotel (unlike the Garda) didn't have airconditioning. You'll be able to keep the windows closed and that will block out any, if any noise.

The road is busy but not until very late at night or the early hours - its not really that type of resort. I like my sleep too - am a bit of a doormouse - so you'll be fine! Anyway, have a bottle of the local wine and you will drift away into dreamland ------

Ask for a lake view room as the views are stunning - also ask for a high floor to avoid the buildings opposite. There are hotels quite close to you at the side and the rear.

(By the way, what are the other choices of hotels with your tour? We may be able to help with that one as well as we have kept our eyes on the Cosmos hotels when we've been over as we'd love to do another tour and stay with them .............. we'd looked at the one that does Tuscany etc ...... to be honest, when I read your first post that's why I thought you'd like Riva as you sound very similar to us when it comes to holidays - likes / dislikes. Would love to read yuor feedback when you've been so that we can decide what to do in future!)

Food - sorry not sure ------ they had no complaints and we only heard excellent reviews from other people on our tour re the food at the sister hotel in Nago Torbole -- the Continental. Whatever, there are loads of wonderful, traditional places for a day time snack ------- REAL pizzas, ice cream, lasagne, etc etc --- the real stuff!

:lol:
Thanks again Presto 2

The tour takes us to the Poppi at Mira (?) Venice area for 1 night, then to Montecatini to the Imperial Garden Hotel. During that first week there are tours to Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Wine tasting (mmmmm!) Siena and San Gimignano. The 1 night at Venice allows a morning tour of Venice before heading out to Montecatini in the afternoon. That's the reason I want to go back to Venice on the 'sunset tour' from Riva. I believe it leaves Riva at 10 a.m. and arrives back at 2.00 a.m. following morning! I would also want to visit Verona and Garda and several other places on the lake while at Riva - I guess we'll only be sleeping and eating (sometimes!) at Riva!

Have you been to the south of Italy? We did Sorrento, Rome, Amalfi, Capri, Naples, Pompeii 2 years ago - loved it so looking forward to seeing the north of Italy this time.

Thanks again for all your help
Hi

We stayed in Bardolino for a week this year - we loved it --- Sirmione is a must for a visit as well. Try catching the fast ferry and hop round to the different places ------ and don't forget the opera ----------

Yip - done Sorrento twice - about 12 yrs back though. The good news is that we're going back this year to stay at the Admiral Hotel for 2 weeks - can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:
Presto 2

Guess you love Italy as much as we do!
Yip!

Its a dead heat at the minute between Italy and Pafos, Cyprus!
Hi again Presto 2

Guess what?! We were at Pafos, Cyprus last July for 2 weeks! If you go there you must go to Polis and Latchi - we did the trips ourselves - bus to Polis and another out to Latchi - spent the afternoon at Latchi - nice! lovely restaurant at front - tartan tablecloths - amazing salads. Nightlife at Pafos - Bar Street - does what is says! full of bars! Daytime there is a water park and a mini golf. We also went on a trip to the mountains and Kykkos monastery which was a good day out. We got a bit bored after a week but if you hire a car you can go to Limmasol, Protaris (spelling?!) and other parts of Cyprus. If you decide on Pafos let me know what hotel you are thinking of and if I know it I can advise.
Coincidence or what!!!!

I'll send a private message - I think we've strayed off topic! :wink:
(Sorry, but I'm having a problem actually sending the message ----- if it gets to you can you let me know!!!!!!!)

If any administrator's reading through ------------helppppppppppppppppppp! Why can't I send my PM ---- its stuck in my outbox ------------ is it me?????????
I've sent you a test pm, if you don't recieve it let me know.
Presto 2,
Thanks for Private message - I've sent you a private message reply. Hope you got it OK.
Well that's me booked my holiday to Riva del Garda! We're doing the tour I mentioned before - Montecatini for 1 week then on to Riva! Can't wait now.
Thanks again for your help Presto 2 - I'm sure I'll have loads of things to ask before I go!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.