Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hello,

The area of the Costa Blanca that you have chosen is certainly more Spanish than most of the surrounding areas.

Have a look at the Villamartin/Torrevieja thread (ignore the negative comments about crime as they really don't apply to your location) and you will see that I have given some information about Trips out...etc.

If you do go inland to Elche, which isn't far, a word of warning.....DO NOT be tempted to go into Pizza Hut there, the food is horrible!
Ruth,

I have a little more time on my hands today so I can answer your questions more fully.

Santa Pola is situated a few miles south of Alicante and the airport. It is quite a large town and you will find that there are more Spanish residents and holiday makers than in the resorts further south, such as Torrevieja.
The beaches are wide and safe. However the sand is a little more compacted than other areas, so it is easier to walk on but if you intend staying on the beaches for any length of time, either hire a sun bed or take something inflatable.
One attraction that is not in any guide book is the ladies toilets; on the beach near the life guard tower (I am being serious!). The lady who looks after them takes great pride in her collection of plants which are on permanent display.
As with any coastal town, better value for money can be had if you avoid the bars and restaurants on the sea front. Go inland a few streets and explore. Don't pick anywhere too quite as these places are usually quite for a reason!
I wouldn't describe Santa Pola as historic, indeed the last time I was there the oldest thing there was my mother-in-law.
The north of the town certainly appears more up market than the south.

Just south of Santa Pola and the salt lakes begin. They pull a million tons of the stuff out of these lakes each year. The presence of the lakes help with the climate, keeping temperatures a few degrees higher than surrounding areas. The air is a very good quality.
There are always plenty of flamingoes on the lakes, but never being able to catch one, I cannot tell you what they taste like. Heading south further and you will find the go-kart circuit. Fun and injuries for all the family!.

Gran Alicant You might get lucky and have a Spanish style house to stay in. I hope so. The newly built properties visible from the main road are perhaps the ugliest in Spain. Not much to do in Gran Alicant except to visit other areas.

Elche is a few miles inland. On the connecting road you will come across 'Rio Safari' zoo. A nice place for the kids where they can hand feed the giraffes and llamas. Buy a bag or two of nuts just after you enter, it will save a walk later.
Elche itself is a nice town, loads of palm trees, several tourist info centres and a pleasant 'old' section. If you go to the Priests Garden (which you must!), take a picnic as there are no refreshments for sale inside.

Drive north into Alicante city and you can spend a good few hours wandering around the marina, markets and old town.

Further north is Villajoyosa. The old chocolate producing capital well worth a visit. Inland from here are the caves of Busot. You will get lost trying to find them, but the drive is worth it. Further north towards Benidorm is the theme park TerraMitica. Good for kids as it has some fun rides as well as an historical theme.

I hope that you and your family enjoy your holiday. Feel free to email me for any directions that other readers of this thread may have found boring.
with regard to the responder about santa pola, he has only seen the new bits, the centre has a historic castle dating back centuries.

the houses of gran alicant- ugliest, i dont think so. !

sorry but from this i think you might get wrong imprssion, there is lots to do in area, nature walks, fantastic beaches, safari park, load & loads of resturants, shops. etc etc.

robin..
ohh forgot to mention

the roman mosaics in santa pola

robin..
we are staying in the gran alicant area when we go, it seems quite nice and safe as we have a four year old. bit nervous about this area as it's not one that alot of people have heard of. the roman mosiacs will be of interest to my husband.
We stayed in Gran Alicant at May half term (a couple of years ago) and had a great week!

OK it's a new urbanisation with lots of similar apartments and that may not be everyone's taste but we were near to a lovely beach, there were 2 large pools which were never busy, security was good on the complex and the apartment was modern, clean and very reasonably priced. It had a huge roof terrace which we made good use of.

There was alot of building work going on when were there but it didn't really affect us.

If you want a quiet, relaxing pool and beach based family holiday then this place is great, there's not alot in the way of night life just a few restaurants and (certainly when we there) not much English spoken either but don't let that put you off, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
hi the holiday that you have described is exactly what we are looking for, for a week away in october. the night life doesnt bother as much now we have alittle one in tow, so a nice pool, nice apartment and a few shops and a beach nearby is a bonus for us. we have got a great prices apartment considering we are going in the half term, £160 for the week is fantastic value with all the comforts of home. we are a little tired of hotel rooms or tiny hotel studio with no room to swing the cat. jan400, it seems like the apartments in this complex are situated in sort-of blocks round the pools, our is in the altamar 2 complex and near to one of the pools, are they all near the beach or does it depend on where your apartment is situated?
The ones we stayed in were arranged in 3 or 4 blocks around the pools so you were never far away from the pool either overlooking it or just at the other side of the building.

Gran Alicant is built on a steep hill with the beach at the bottom, we were stayed at the bottom and there were a few shops and bars and restaurants but we used the car to get to the bigger supermarket and restaurants at the top of the hill. It's not far but young or old legs would probably struggle.

I can't remember what our apartments were called (if I ever knew) but it's not a massive place so you won't be far away from the beach but there isn't any building directly on the beach so it will be a walk/drive.

Relax, we worried like you before we went, it was cheap, no-one had heard of it, maybe it would be awful etc etc. We were pleasantly surprised and I'm sure you will be too.

I used to go running first thing in a morning and had a nose round a few other complexes, there were a variety of styles but as I remember it they all looked clean with nice pool areas.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.