UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Shrewsbury
14 Posts
Have stayed in Shrewsbury and telford a lot for work reasons - Shrewsbury has mostly independant hotels and some are a bit ropey (sorry can't remember the names). Allbrighton Hall and Allbright Hussey are good (near each other about 4 miles out of Shrewsbury) suspect they maybe pricey though (isn't a problem for me as work are paying). Telford has more of the well known chains holiday inn/travelodge etc and is about 10miles from Shrewsbury down a fast dual carriageway. Avoid the Buckatree hotel (great location - crap hotel). Depending what day of the week you are going hotels in this area can be very busy Mon - Thu - lots of business stays and also can be exhibitions on in Telford
Will you have a car and when do you need to know by? I'm in and out of Shrewsbury quiet a bit but you've asked just as I'm off for over a week so can't get local recommendations!

The usual Inn chains are present on the outskirts of Shrewsbury but not very good without a car. Whereas the hotels in the centre can be a pain with a car, Shrewsbury has a bizarre one-way system. Wetherspoons have one of their lodges in the centre near the Welsh Bridge. The most well known in the centre is The Prince Rupert but it's one of the worst for road access and not cheap.
Hi,

There is a pub called The Bull Inn next to the Prince Rupert which has lovely B and B rooms and in the middle of town - there is also The Lion on Wyle Cop which is central.

The Lord Hill is about half a mile out of town but has good parking and Cromwells is in the town centre and quite upmarket.

Hope this helps,

V
Hi :wave:

Thank you Pato, Steve and V,
For your replies.

I will be for one night, and a week day, either Thurs or Fri.

Yes we will have a car, my aunt drives.
She said she usually stays at the Prince Rupert. It is too expensive for me. £109 a night :really
I haven't booked my train yet, and hope to go in about 3 weeks.
The Bull Inn sounds good to me V ;)

thanks again.

Karen
I've just booked three days in Shrewsbury over half term. No particular reason - just hubby fancied it. Does anyone have any recommendations, opinions etc? As hubby drives all week, we've decided to go by train. How far is the railway station from the centre please?
the station is just on the edge of the centre next to the castle, turn left out of the forecourt and it's just a few minutes up the hill.

Rail arrival is probably the best bet at present. The local highways engineers are experimenting with a new traffic scheme - it has been suggested that they may have been experimenting with drugs at the same time!! It's certainly made the station side of the centre very quiet, just the same delivery drivers who have now been going round in circles for 2 weeks!!

You don't say where you are coming from but a new train operator starts a London-Shrewsbury direct link today and is a bit desperate to fill seats so may be worth looking at! http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk
Thanks Steve - we're coming from West Wales and had a reasonable price of £31 each return. Is it an easy walk from the station or will we need a taxi. We're staying at the Lion & Pheasant. Do you know it?
I know the building but I've never been in it. I think if you asked a taxi driver to take you there from the station he'd burst into tears! It used to be a direct 3 minute drive but now it requires a complete lap of the wrong side of the town centre! You could probably walk there quicker. Come out of the station forecourt and turn left up the hill. Just follow the road into the shopping area and turn left just after M&S (don't go down the pedestrian bit). Very shortly you reach the new traffic ban by the PO - keep going and drop down the other side of the hill (it's not a big one so don't be put off). That street becomes Wyle Cop after the junction half way down and goes away to the left.

it is near the Abbey (remember that ITV series about the medieval crime solving monk...) and the English Bridge. When your train approaches Shrewsbury you'll see the Abbey on the right and English Bridge on the left, the road going away from you over the bridge is Wyle Cop.

Is your train ticket a fixed reservation Advance or an any route Saver? If you have the option of going via Llandrindod (change at Llanelli) you should do so in one direction at least, possibly the most scenic line in Wales.
thanks for that info Steve - let's hope it's not raining for the walk then :rofl That's the train route that we're going on Steve. Hubby drives hundreds of miles daily - yesterday 400 to be exact, so the train will be a nice relaxing change for him.
Just be aware that the 1805 from Shrewsbury to Llanelli gets mobbed with OAPs on nice days and they aren't too fussy who they elbow to get a seat!
Lets hope they're all on that train then Steve as we're coming back around 2pm - get back into Llanelli around 5.30pm :rofl
Well we didn't go in April/May.

But I have just booked my tickets for next week, 2 nights.

Unfortunately the BULL INN is booked up.

We are looking at the Abbotts Mead, anyone stayed there before?
It's a bit far out though, even though we are driving.

Would like to be near Castlefields where my auntie lives.

I see they have an ASK Restaurant there too :cheers
Well I ended up staying in Abbots Mead, which is just off the Wyle Cop.
We had a lovely three days, shame about the weather.
But it was great to met up with the family after all theses years.
I can't wait to return in the warmer months.

I popped into the Archives for some research :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.