EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
sky tv
18 Posts
would be very interested if anyone has done this as I would love to do the same - I don't think it can be done legally, but I know alot of people who do it in France and Spain - I would be careful about putting too many personal details up here if you do it, or of friends who have done it - check out the ex-pats forum, and search under "Sky" - there is lots on this topic
http://www.netaway.com This is a link that might help you there are several of these types of sites i personally dont use them so dont know what are the best ones i hope this helps you on getting your
internet set up while in malta :lol:
There is absolutely nothing to stop anyone erecting a dish and connecting a digibox anywhere to receive anything. (unless you live in a country that forbids it). The problem comes about with any card that is used to decode the signals that are received. All the BBC programs are free to air and can be watched legally anywhere. ITV1 and 2, CH4 and CH5 require to be decoded by a $ky card. Also all the $ky programs require a $ky card. All of these cards are the property of $ky no matter where they were acquired from. $ky state that these shall not be taken out of the country. Therefore if you take a card to mainland Europe you are breaking your agreement with $ky. Cynics say that $ky turns a blind eye to this as they are making a fortune from expats abroad. but there is no doubt that if someone does take a card abroad and lets $ky know of this then $ky will undoubtably switch the card off. One way of letting $ky know of you having a card abroad is to phone them from abroad if you have a problem. Caller display lets them see immediately that the call is not originating in the UK or Eire and they are obliged by their license agreement to switch your card off. I have a property in Spain and my wife does enjoy Corrie
You might like to look at this thread http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23131 some very interesting info.
Wow,Gosh and Blimey, I had no idea it was such a complicated question!!
Thanks everybody for all your help! I didnt even know it was naughty to use your Uk subscription, stupid eh? Does anyone know how much it is for a subscription in Malta with the English channels? Also, how much is an internet connection? Do you get a choice of providers and if so what is the difference and who is the best? I am quite demanding arent I? he he, sorry :oops: Thankyou all very much tho Guys for all your help so far, I really appreciate it and would be in trouble,literally!! without your help!!
internet connection - similar prices to UK, both broadband and dialup - alot of providers (10 ?) I use onvol.net - very happy with them

subscription in Malta with the English channels? - not sure what you mean - if you mean like BBC1 etc, I don't know how you get them. There is one cable company, Melita cable, http://www.melitacable.com/sitemap.asp?m=10&mid=7
who are just starting digital
http://www.melitadigital.com/index.asp
and another new company offering digital
http://www.multiplus.com.mt/index.php?index

you can see their channel lineup from these websites

sorry this is rushed, but I'm late for something
If you are going to use satellite as opposed to cable in malta then I have no doubt that your box and card will be cheaper in UK. You have to be careful about which particular box you buy as only some are ok in fringe areas. Personally I would reccomend the Pace 2600C1 as I believe it is the best box around. It is only available 2nd hand as it has been replaced by the identical looking but not so good Pace DS430N. These can be bought quite easily on Ebay. $ky will supply a FREESAT card for £20. This will need to be activated in UK before you take it to Malta. You will find a list of all stations you will receive at following website.
http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3
Sorry to be the messenger of bad news Sarahnick133, but a legacy of British rule over there means (if you didn't know already) that you will not be allowed to purchase a TV until you buy a TV Licence!!! :evil: The price of which goes up the more TV's you have :evil:

The very best of luck to you and your family though I hope everything works out :)
Like gozomark, quite happy with on-vol cable internet (256k) at Lm12.83 a month. Don't have sky myself - but this link might help. :shrug http://www.telestarr.com.mt/store/emart_dynamicIndex.asp
:lol: Once again,Brilliant information again Guys!! In fact so much of it I feel a bit :shock: !!! Certainly got plenty to think about and look into now, I suppose it would be easier and maybe not too expensive to just get didital tv when we arrive. I didnt know they had digital there yet,must be new? The internet connection isnt a bad price (lm12) thanks for that Inglizi, I pay about that here, but I do know that it is very slow, Nick is a graphic designer and thinks he may have a problem adapting to the smaller gig me bob thing!! ha ha, I nearly sounded like I knew what I was on about then, didnt I! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TV liscence is something I hadnt thought about either! We will bring our tv with us, but still need to sort that out, dont want to be in bother as soon as we arrive!!
Thanks again everybody!!
Nick just told me to ask if anyone would reccomend digital over sky and do you get BBC and ITV on digital?
It will probably be pointless taking your TV to Malta as it probably will not work. Malta use PAL B whilst UK uses PAL I. This means that you will receive picture but not sound. You will receive sound from a $ky digibox and perhaps from a Maltese digibox, but not from local broadcasts. As I said earlier I am in Spain and people have brought their UK TVs with them and have very quickly discarded them.
Sarah - Brodev is right about the "probably" bit - we took a tv from the UK to Malta and it works perfectly, but its "world multi" - Some tvs do work from the UK, but so you need check in the TVs manual to see if it works on PAL I as well as PAL B
Now that,Brodev and Gozomrk, is something that I had no idea about! Thank God for HT or I might have wasted time,effort and money on Tv sets that dont work! I will check the manuals and if the info isnt there I would probably be wiser to sell the tellies I was going to bring and use the money for new ones. I feel sure I read on another topic,maybe even from you,Gozomark, that the price of electricals has come right down recently. I need to make sure the tv is PAL 1 and PAL B,right? Thanks Brodev and Gozomark,(or should I say Mr. Bond?)
yes Miss Moneypenny - the TV will be PAL B as it works in the UK - what you need to find out is whether its PAL I as well, atleast thats my recollection - if in doubt call the tv manufacturer. as for prices in Malta...

Philips 29" flat screen tv LM179
Orion 20" LM69
Philips 32" 100Hz widescreen LM325
Philips 42" plasma LM999

not sure how these compare - taken from advert in the paper
I organised a sky digibox to be taken out to Turkey. It was activated in the UK before we went and transported in the suitcase. While researching this I discovered several companies can organise sky for a fee and will maintain a UK address for you. Since we aren't ex pats we still have our uk address so this wasn't neccessary. When we were there we upgraded the system to sky sports, by ringing back to the uk-no problem. I think the difficulty may arise if/when you want pay per view as that will be sent down a phone line-obviously not a uk number
good luck-but it was easier than I expected
Sarah,
The price I quoted, Lm12.83 monthly(256k) was for the service that we use, OK for standard home/student use, sorry if I confused you. Other speeds are available not only from on-vol, but also from other providers.
http://home.onvol.net/
"Nick just told me to ask if anyone would reccomend digital over sky and do you get BBC and ITV on digital?" - no to ITV, and the only BBC is BBC Prime and BBC World - digital v sky, so if you want lots of UK channels, then sky
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.