Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Sad news indeed - but is it any suprise ? The Indians especially are not great swimmers and every year the same bad news is published.
I thought it was only really bad around the tanker at Candolim, early morning when calm is fine,but when the wind picks up after lunch time you can see the swirl it makes and the sand it drags back in - another thing then that the Indian tourism minister needs to take a long hard look at - wern't life guards posted there a few years ago ?
Anyone with youngsters - don't turn your head away from them for 1 second.
Sad news about the drownings but so many similar accidents waiting to happen! How do I get The Navhind Times uo on tinternet please, so I can check on daily?
Unfortunatly a tourist was drowned as well
http://oheraldo.in/node/12183
Hi Johnny G
Try these links and then add them to your favourites..
Navahind Times http://www.navhindtimes.com/mainpage.php
Herald http://oheraldo.in/
Great reading, keeps you up to date with all the Goa gossip until you return next time.... 8)
My husband and i were unfortunate enough to be walking along Baga beach an HOUR AFTER these three young lads died and saw 2 of them just lying on the sand as though they were simply sunbathing, it took me aback and i just couldnt believe they were dead, there were two policeman standing there and a group of onlookers plus Indian families with young kids playing a few feet away from their bodies, it was absolutely shocking and they hadnt even bothered to cover their faces, it really really upset me for days. these boys were also tourists from an engineering college in Kerala on holiday here in Goa. the same day a canadian drowned but they managed to save his daughter, i dont think many people realise how treacherous these waters ca be, we have seen many near and actual drownings this year and my husband actually rescued 2 drowning people in december, caution is definitely needed when bathing in this sea and there should be life guards and warnings on these beaches.
:shock: I remember that day only too well Chilly! :shock: Poor Mick didn't have time to get his breath back before going out AGAIN! You could SEE where the rip was in the sea...and these stupid people had just seen him rescue somebody else from the exact same spot...we all just couldn't believe it when we saw them going in!! :twisted:
Stupid, ???. I could think of a better word for people who have died. B
Stupid, ???. I could think of a better word for people who have died. B

??? Pardon?

I'm not sure if we have our wires crossed here, travelingtheworld, and I apologise now if I've read this wrong.

NONE of the people that Mick rescued that day died. The whole beach watched while some unfortunate people got caught in a rip - Mick and Sylvester risked their own lives and went in and managed to get them out of the water safely. Within a short while, 4 Russians, who had just stood and watched what had happened, went into the very same stretch of water - to the disbelief of others that suddenly realised what they were doing! In doing so they put Micks life at risk as he went in again to rescue them. I call this 'stupid people' I'm afraid. :shrug
You said it right Pam - stupid people who saw this happen and then went in for a swim straight away asking for trouble.Same at home when we have high seas at Scarborough - people want there picture took near the big waves,just where others have died - stupid people.
Go Pam you are SOOO right. I used to be a strong swimmer when a child and we used to go out the sandbanks of Mudford beach every year and every year people would drown there. Now I realise that I was stupid and would not do it again. The sea is always dangerous and especially in parts of Goa - and too watch people being saved and then going to the same spot yourself is stupid!!
Oh Pam I shall never forget that day those stupid poeple went in and Mick had to go in again, if you remember I was stood crying on the beach as that woman was about a quarter of a mile (at least ) out and at times we thought Mick had gone down too when we couldnt see him in the waves, and they didnt even say a thankyou, remember??!! Glad you were there as I was beside myself :cry: :cry: I am always terrified when he goes in after someone but its his nature and i cant stop him even if he is putting his own life at risk, but if people thought a little more beforehand it wouldnt need to happen
'tis sad.. the Canadian was of Indian origin and a friend of Pio Fernandes the owner of Big Daddy's Inn. I think his family was with him
You got it on the nail Pam "stupid"

In my younger days I was a very strong swimmer, medals and all that stuff for life saving, distance and diving. One look at the waters and no way would I go in the sea, well just for a paddle and then I was pulled off my feet. :oops: :oops:

lez
Hello, i am due to vist Goa in March 2007, Purely because my father Ronnie Stuart drowned on Anjuna beach whilst fishing (beach casting)
and i want to lay a reef in the sea were it happend. It's a huge loss to myself and my 2 brothers as dad knew of the dangers of the sea in Goa and forever was telling us of the locals drowning so often. We lost our dad Ronnie on the 18th October 2005 around 6 o'clock Goan time and don't really know exactly what happened, hence the reason for my trip. I also want to enjoy Goa as dad did and that is why he returned to Goa every year for past 12 years, staying for 3-6 months a time. Does anyone remember this happening or did they hear of this tragedy by someone else ? Its the not knowing thats the difficult thing for us to deal with. Apparently my father was dragged out by 2 men who were working on a beach hut not far from a restaurant. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I will be staying in Baga on the 26th March 2007 if anyone wants to meet up !

Thank you
Sorry to hear of your Dads drowning jambo.

I hope you get some answers to your questions.

Regards

Kath x
:wave Hello jambow and welcome to the goa forum you will find everyone so nice here ....that was very sad what happened to your dad in the place he loved so much I hope when you go you will find some sort of peace....all the best for your trip when you go .......colleen
Hi Jambo

I was here when your father died and remember how shook up the boys from the beach restaurant were, they had known him a while as he always came to the same place. It happened at middle Anjuna, in front of Luis restaurant and it would appear your fathers fishing line got caught on some rocks and he was trying to release it. I will tell Luis and the boys that you are coming, also some of his friends from the bar. To get to the restaurant drive to the beach at the shore bar, then turn right and it is the first one. Very friendly and excellent food also.
Hi Jambo ~ I would like to echo Kath's and Irishcolleen's comments. Hope you find some peace of mind whilst in Goa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.