Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Swimming in the sea is OK as long as you recognise the possible problems, I'm an adult but I've only found it a struggle once when the waves were quite stong and they were coming quickly one after the other, I'm not the best swimmer by far but can get from one place tot he other... There are lots of places where you can go quite fr out but can still touch the bottom so I'd stick to this to be safe. Best time is probably in the mornings when there doesn't seem to be quite the same strength of wave/wind.

I haven't been bitten or stung from anything so don't see this being a problem....
The waves can be alot of fun!! But just take care. We found swimming in Palolem nice as the waves were nowhere near as big.
Palolem is great. Good for body boarding too.

I dont like swimming at the BCC streatch as IMHO its too poluted. Your better off further or north or south.

You get hammer head sharks but dont think there have been any reported attacks.
Thanks, that's good to know!!!!!! :really
It was in a paper today doesnt say where but english man drowned, all it said while swimming in the Arabian Sea off Goa. In Dec/Jan the current was very strong a few Indians drowned, I found different sections of the sea were completely different, outside budhha bar you could only go out a little bit, but at ritz a lot further out.
Thanks, not sure about the hammerheads!! :yikes

J.
Julian ,2 young boys drowned at Vagator last NOV/DEC you really have to be so careful.
ann
thanks Ann, i think we'll stick to paddling, don't want to take any chances.

J.
Take him up North to Morjim beach for the day. The sea is much calmer there. Costs about 700 rupees return and the driver will wait for you all day. Well worth it in my opinion not just for the calmer water but for the lovely quiet beach.
Thanks Sim1, i'll take a look at that.

J.
Julian I wouldnt let him go out very far in the water at Candolim. It made my blood run cold just reading your post. There have been loads of fatalities over the years along that streth of water.
The current is strong at Candolim and a 13 year old is not as strong as an adult, I would definitely say no, its just not worth it.
Yeah, i think ur wright, Gemma, not worth the risk. There's always the hotel pool.

J.
Yes Julian I agree. A lot of people like going for a swim the hotel pools on their return from the beach about 5pm or 6pm cos the pool is much quieter at that time.
Probably better for you both to stick to paddling at Candolim, you will still have a great time.
Much better to be safe than sorry :)
It was really upsetting the day one of the lads drowned at Vagator, we were in the
shack when some one told us about it,and he was still lying at the waters edge,you would
not believe the way they removed him from the beach.
ann
Ann something similar happened at Baga Beach last Feb ...
Right along at the Baga end two teenage brothers went out in a boat to do some fishing, the younger boy fell in the water and his older brother tried to save him. The Younger one never made it, he was only 13 or 14. The whole beach was silent and it was so sad cos his bike was still lying at the side of the shack ......
Then in April I was walking down to the Oceanic shack after making a phone call, this was early in the morning, and there was a low flying helicopter looking for someone else who was missing in the water ...... its horrible and not worth it.
Yes Gemma its so sad to see something like that happening it cast,s a cloud
over the whole holiday
ann
My wife nearly drowned last year getting dragged out by an under current.I was not there but she went in with some friends.They got seperated and she got into difficulty.She really thought she was dying.As you know the waves crashing drown out any shouts.Two pieces of luck saved her life,she was spotted thrashing about by one of her friends,secondly that friend was an ex lifeguard(female)about six stone wet through who without any thought for her own safety swam out and saved her.

When I got back they were all sat there looking very shaken.I shudder to think what I would have done had Caroline not been so brave.

Please be very careful.We now just go out to chest height and no further.
The current is very verystrong. I'm a strong swimmer and I can feel the undertow.

I nearly lost my life in Spain in strong waves. What I learnt at the time was to wait for a wave and swim with it. There is no point just swimming when your not with a wave as you'll get nowhere.

I tend not to go out my depth in goa.

The stories of deaths really reallysadden me. Papa your wife is a very lucky woman.
The waves are very powerful, and currents can be very strong - The only living things in the sea that'll hurt you are the blue bottle jelly fish (Portugese Man O'War) but you are far more likley to step on one on the beach than swim into one.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.