Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Can anyone please help as to this Hotel i.e. what is it like, how far from town centre, nearest railway station/bus stops, how far from the beach etc, would be grateful to hear from you ASAP. :D Lx :wink:
Hi Laura,

It doesn't look as if anyone here has been to that hotel but one of our regular posters is in Mahdia at present and will be back at the end of April. She and her husband stay for six months every winter. We will be meeting up in Monastir before they come back and I'll ask her to look in and give you any help she can.

I visited them there for a day in October and the beach was beautiful. Most of the hotels are along the 'strip'. The railway goes to Sousse and I think it also goes to Tunis though I'm not sure. There is also a bus service which is great fun (the local kids insisted on feeding me choccy biscuits and taking my photo on their mobile phones :lol:)
Hi again Laura,

There are some reports on Mahdia in the 'Resort Reports' above but I've just had a look at the Holidays Uncovered website and there are a couple of reviews of this hotel, one excellent and the other not so good. I usually take reviews with a pinch of salt but it may give your parents an idea of what to expect. Unfortunately I can't do 'links' but if you go into the site, put in Tunisia and then go into 'Other Areas' you then just keep going down until you come to Mahdia. Good luck.
We stayed there last week. We enjoyed every minute of the holiday. The hotel is fabulous and the food was fantastic. The staff are very helpfull and friendly. The rooms are spacious and clean, as is the rest of the holtel. Its right on the beach. The only downside is theres nothing round it so night time walks are out, but if like us you are out all day you dont want to move at night. The taxis are outsidde the gate and very cheap, as long as you agree the price before getting in. The railway is a 5 minute walk along the road outside the airport. Its only pennies to get to Monastir, Sousse and Mahdia. If you want any more info, i will be glad to answer questions
p.s. The hotel has just been taken over by new owners.
Thank you Aslemma and Elainejg for this information it sounds like it is a nice hotel to stay at. One last question, do they still do the massage treatments!! Look forward hearing from you.
Regards
Laura x :)
Down by the indoor pool there is a gym and a beauty shop. Im not sure whats on offer as we didnt go in, but it looked like there was all sorts of things on offer, although there was never many people in there. They probably have a list of treatments.
Forgot to say, tell Mum and Dad to be carefull on the railway, the steps on to the train are high and steep. The locals jump on and off with ease but tell them to hang on and take their time. Dont let it put them off going on the train, just take care. We managed fine and my friend had previously had a hip operation and she managed ok too.
And talking of railways - all luggage has to be put on the overhead rack, which isn't so easy when you are 5'3". I sometimes fly into Tunis and get the train to Souisse. Whilst getting my heavy case down at Sousse in October it accidentally dropped onto a young girl who was curled up asleep on the seat behind me. :oops: Bless her heart she seemed to find it funny but I felt awful - all I could do was repeat 'aasef jeddan' (very sorry) over and over again. :roll:
Hallo vibegirl - Aslemma mentioned your query to me when we met up just before I left Mahdia. Overall, the hotel has a good reputation and it certainly has a loyal following of regular guests who return every year. It was previously known as Dynesty Hotel, so you may find some useful info under that name. There is a comprehensive range of treatments available - so just relax and enjoy :lol:
The hotel is situated about an hour's walk away from the town centre - you can walk there along the beach. Failing that, taxis cost 3td (about £1.50) - train (from in front of the Nour Palace Hotel) costs 1td return! Bus costs 0.45td from the main road outside the hotel (in front of the students accommodation block)
ATM machine, bank and small supermarket, taxi phone, 2 coffee bars and few touristy shops can be found locally. Just turn right outside of the hotel and walk along the main roud - about 15 to 20 minutes away. You can book the quad bikes there. Also think about taking a camel ride - lots of people seem to enjoy the experience!!
Lovely beach bar actually on the beach sells superb fresh orange juice for 1.50td - much cheaper than the hotel! :wink:
Lots of holiday things on the beach - paragliding, jetski etc. Sea is very shallow and safe.
The town centre is very Tunisian - not geared up for tourists at all. If you want the tourists shops you need to go to the small souke - just walk throught the tunnel under the main gate- the museum is around there as well. Friday is market day and the whole town changes. I have seen comments that some people find it rather intimidating, but I never have. Quite the opposite in fact - despite living there for half of every year, I love the atmosphere of the place. VERY Tunisian and you can get everything from a gas cooker to a bed to a lipstick to a t shirt to a set of pans etc etc etc.
Walk up through the market and you will find the Sidi Salam restaurant perched on the rock overlooking the beautiful sea. Coffee very cheap and the fish superb.
Walk beyond the Sidi Salam and after a few minutes you will arrive at the beautiful cemetery - so calm and peaceful. The people of Mahdia can appear rather reserved, but if given the chance are the friendliest people you could wish to meet.
If you need any more info, please don't hesitate to ask. I can bore anyone to death about my second home :oops: Jenny
My Mum and Dad are getting very excited about their hol's to Tunisia, can't believe where time has gone only seems like 5 mins when I was putting my question on here, anyone been to this Hotel this spring/summer? what is the weather like also. Look forward hearing from you, Love Laura xx 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.