General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Oh no, I love the whole driving experience too much!
we were testing out the new Vauxhall Adam in the car park this week, selected modles park themselves, the guy testing had his hands in the air as the car parked in a gap it had selected, the driver felt aprehensive not being in controll
yup- a car that selects where to park and does it all itself- I have to have one.
But which model? I mean- picture the scene- 2 selfparking cars spot the same space, which one wins? :think
LOL our car is self parking but we just don't trust it to do it, In fact I think apart from when the guy was selling it to us earlier this year (and even he struggled to remember what to do) that is the only time we have let it park itself, it seems weird.
It could make some interesting insurance claims when you have to fill in who the driver was at the time of an accident !
name of driver.........Mr/Mrs. C.Omputer
Del
we will need to add the car as a named driver on our policies
I'd never be comfortable in a driverless car. Anyone remember the press conference when the new Mercedes S Class was showing off it's new crash avoidance system and how it can detect traffic in front and bring you to a halt if it detects stationary traffic or a danger in front? In front of the worlds press, it was demonstrated how in thick fog, it would stop the car before the driver know what was in front to avoid a crash. They set off and heard a big bang as it hit the car in front. The cause of the accident and reason the system failed? It wasn't activated by the driver! There's too much to go wrong for me and the consequencies too much for a driverless car. What happens if there's a system failure? It's the same with aircraft. Systems are currently in test (over my house on approach to the airport!) with pilotless aircraft (not drones). I'd never be comfortable with that either as computers are good at number crunching, but not problem solving when things go wrong.

I've had a go in a self parking car where you select where you want to park and just use the pedals, the car does the streering. It sort of worked but by the time you'd gone through the procedure for it, you could be in the space and out of the car! Newer systems are probably better than the one I tried, but isn't parking part of the skill of driving?

Darren
Some of the advanced technology can be a bit disconcerting. Our car turns its own light off after get out and lock the doors but my husband stands there and watches it to make sure it does so as he doesn't trust it to turn off its own lights.

I also remember when the Jubilee Line first went into service and it had driverless trains and passengers didn't have confidence in this so they then employed staff to sit in the front of the train not driving.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.