Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
What can I take?
27 Posts
yes you can take bacon i all ways put it in my suitcase as it is cooler in the hold of plane
Legally you are not allowed to take any foodstuffs of animal origin (e.g. meat) into Spain. The only exceptions are powdered milk in commercial packaging for children and special foodstuffs for people with medical conditions.
If you want to risk it that is up to you, I know that people do take meat into Spain as customs rarely check what is being imported, but it could be confiscated on entry.
hi been going tenerife for years now and have taken bacon cheese cooked meats everytime with us like i said put it in suit case never had a problem
Yes when my husband goes to England he allways comes back with sausages from the butchers.

My mum comes over with bacon etc never had a problem been doing this for years.
I bring 50 Killie Pies for my Scottish freinds on every visit to the Island :tongue
http://www.killiepie.com
re the illegal meats etc., I agree that it is illegal, but I guess they're not really too bothered about properly packaged meat bought from proper shops...

but they wouldn't be so keen on a dead goat wrapped in a blanket......like I saw on the TV "Airport" programme once

(Not that I'm suggesting you'd want to take one....)
oh dear....I think I've dug myself into a hole.....
Why would you want to take bacon with you when it can be bought in supermarkets on the Island ??
It always amazes me when people take food from home thinking none is available on there holidays :que
I agree sh33p. What possesses people to want to transport food. You are going on holiday for goodness sake. If you want UK food, stay at home. To assist the doubters about the civilisation on the Canaries, I inform you they have also got electricity, running water and toilets. Get a life folks
The poster asked a question, which was answered. I don't feel that there is any need to give advice on what the poster should or shouldn't be buying on the island. Maybe the poster is arriving in the middle of the night and wants to have something to prepare for breakfast, there could be many reasons why she wants to take food with her and it's not up to us to question her.
..The majority of supermarkets in Las Americas/Los Cristianos are "tourist" supermarkets where things like meats, cheeses work out very expensive..

The only supermarket chain there that is in any way comparable to our Tesco's is "Mercadona" where the prices are a bit cheaper than the tourist ones..

If you are really trying to do "eating" on a budget I don't blame you for trying to bring stuff with you.

Not everyone on this forum is "flush" with money!
The poster asked a question, which was answered. I don't feel that there is any need to give advice on what the poster should or shouldn't be buying on the island.

I wasn't having a go at the poster my point was that many tourists assume that overseas destinations such as Tenerife do not sell the same types of food as they do back home so pack as much "UK" food stuff possible. And as already pointed out by previous posts this is illegal by Spanish Law and can incurr an fine of upto 20,000EURO or worse case fined & refusal to the country (It has happened before all be it while there was BSE cases back in the UK) so if you think encouraging the poster to break the law then you should maybe pay half her fine if caught :duh
Blimey, wished I,d never asked!I am well aware of what is available to buy in the supermarkets but the supermarkets over there ( even the Mercadona)are more expensive than over here and IMO the bacon etc is not as nice as you get in our supermarkets,and yes we are on a budget which is why I asked the question in the first place.
Come on you lot.. please abide by our terms.. Don't post confrontational post or insult other members if they have a different point of view... any more of it and i will lock this topic

WIZARD
Sh33p wrote:
so if you think encouraging the poster to break the law then you should maybe pay half her fine if caught

How could advising the poster that it is illegal to take meat into Spain and that it could be confiscated on entry be construed as encouragement.
If you buy spanish bacon it is rubbish as are many eqivalent products or perhaps it`s because we are used to our own.
Mercadona sells English bacon but it`s expensive as are other genuine English products because of the transport. You can buy famous brands of English bread which is frozen but it usually has a shelf life of a year, so I stay clear, can`t imagine what`s in it to keep for a year.
The imported meat from Brazil is very cheap in Mercadona, 6 large sirlioin steaks for 6 euros, although it`s in the process of being banned in the EU due to quality control.
Go to the fish counter that really is something, just leave the Dorada alone as it`s farmed offshore in those big tanks.
It gets better every year as more and more products come online.
Rodz
I know this isn't food but we always take an extention lead with us as the plugs are always in the wrong places. It's useful for hairdryer, kettle, toaster etc and frees up space in a tiny kitchen.

Katy
Rodz

Which make of bacon is it that Mercadona sells that is English and also which are the other genuine English products that are more expensive?

Also...

Is there a Mercadona in LC and if so where is it?
Mercadona in LC
With your back to las Vistas Beach walk inland keeping Compostela beach apartments to your left and Torres del Sol to your right, you will see some steps facing you, it is at the top of these steps.
If you hit El Camison you have gone to far.
Most probably only 200/300 yards from the beach, not as big as the one in PDLA.
I think the bacon is Walls although they may have added to this now.
If you run a map off from the web you will follow my instructions better, bear in mind Compostela beach apartments are on the border of PDLA and LC so make sure your map covers this area.
Netto and Spar now do an English bacon but I cannot remember the brand.
Feel free to ask anything else.
The Spar is quite good, that`s facing El Mirador apartments just below Paradise Park Hotel, bit expensive.
Good for veg and fruit as you can pick your own and have it weighed same as at Treball the other Supermarket to rival Mercadona.
Mercadonas fruit veg and salad all prepacked.
Treball in LC is is higher up the road going to the motorway from the bus station and the Apollo centre, they are a little behind in English products and I cannot remember any English bacon there.
Regards
Rodz
Hi, been to Tenerife for the last 2 years and seen the decline of the pound, so to make things cheaper could we take any food stuffs with us i.e bacon, cheese etc, we have always taken tea & coffee but never found the need to take food before, we don't like holidaying on a budget but it's seems like we are going to have to this year :cry :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.