Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
mmm!? good question :think

I'd like to say that we would, The cheapness was not the reason we went in the first place all those years ago, but ..... the expense puts me off going to Europe now.

There really is nowhere like Goa. :sun2 for all the moans about it recently

Yes I think we would.

Would you grannypat

jan x
Im Almost certain wed still go but purhaps for just 2 weeks instead of the 3 weeks we are use to
sharon
Judging by the recent price increases for a package deal to Goa I think some are on a par with the cost of a european holiday already.

I guess the cheaper costs of eating and drinking whilst there is what appeals to most of us and helps to balance costs out and keeps you within your chosen budget. Also it is more noticeable now (than ever before) that many Goa veterans are flying scheduled instead and booking there own accommodation direct which for many is a lot cheaper.

Yes, we would probably still go (but I can honestly say that I, like many others here, would prefer to look for cheaper options to do so), after all, none of us have a limitless pot of money to spend on a holiday.

As for holidays in Europe, I would shop around and try and find cheaper options for that too! Fizz
As they say, variety is the spice of life but.
We are returning to Goa in November for the 3rd time because
1) Guaranteed winter sun to escape the British winter
2) Affordable prices
3)Safe envoirenment
4)and for me as a bird and wildlife photographer, superb opportunities to keep me happy whilst my o/h chills by the pool.

I would prefer to try other places too but over the last four years since I retired Goa has offered the great value for money and my approach is grab a bargain while it's still there. We have also been to Kerala, Gambia twice, Costa Rica (on an A.I. deal which was probably the best value of the lot ) and a months touring in France in our caravan ( September time) as well as caravan trips in this country.
Being time rich ( the only contraints being that my o/h doesn't like staying away from home for too long, I find that when you get to Goa it's relatively cheap. In fact it can be very cheap ! However, if you are only going for a two week holiday the cost involved and time spent travelling would possibly make it an unattractive proposition.
I would love to hear of alternatives which can be had within a modest budget that satisfy my 4 reasons listed above.
I know this is the Goa forum but.... !!!!!!!!!!
I would still go.

I find that if I have two weeks in say Spain, I am pulling my hair out after about 10 days and just cannot wait to get home; when I spend two weeks in Goa I tend to get a bit tearful as I don't really want my holiday to end. It isn't as if we do anything particularly different in either place, but I can just chill out better in Goa.
We love Goa. :love2
But if it became as expensive as europe, :cry we would probably try other destinations that offer similar weather and price. try something else for our money. would almost certainly end up back in Goa again though. :cheers (as long as we can still afford any of them). :shrug :shrug
BOB.
Yes most definitely - I am amazed how cheap the flights are, we aren't paying very much more than we did 16 years ago.
roxey wrote:
Yes most definitely - I am amazed how cheap the flights are, we aren't paying very much more than we did 16 years ago.

Roxey, does that mean you go because the flights are cheap though rather than choosing somewhere else?

Personally if a holiday to anywhere in the world was the same price I probably wouldn't go to Goa again.
Of course if they were the same price then a lot of the magical destinations would loose their appeal by becoming popular. It's the very fact that Goa is so cheap that it has lost so much of the charm it apparently once had ( before I first went). The Baga / Calangute strip does very little for me but there again we are all different. I'm looking forward to staying in and seeing the South on our next holiday. Interestingly, hotel accommodation is dearer there so maybe it helps keep the numbers down a bit ?
we have had more guest viewers than normal for this time of year so I am wondering if folks who have just come back from their Euro holidays and been shocked with what they spent are looking for a cheaper holiday.
As for the original question- I probably would BUT do what we did the first time, finish off in Goa after exploring another part of India.
Not sure about shocked Fiona more likely bankrupt.Discerning travellers will always look for a bargain.Not sure what we all did before the internet.

Papa
yes because my house/home is there!!! but would probably eat out less and cut costs in other ways...
chilly
Goa is great because it's a fabulous winter destination, very little rain over the whole season.
We've struggled to find an alternative destination for November that suits us.
We wouldn't go to Europe during the Goa season (Nov through to April).

We are lucky to have the time (and at the moment - the money) to take more than one holiday each year - usually 3 weeks after Christmas, 2 weeks in summer (Europe) and then 3 weeks again anytime between September and up to Christmas.
We tend to consider the total cost of the holiday, not just how much it is for flight/accommodation or how much it costs to eat out.
So, I think if it was as expensive to eat out in Goa as it is in Greece or Turkey (I'm not exactly clear what grannypat's original question meant), we may consider going somewhere else in the Far East.

I've noticed that package holidays to Goa at this stage of the year are at least £250 more expensive for exactly the same dates/accommodation as at this time last year (yes, I DO keep notes!) - e.g. 3 weeks departing 15/11.
If that trend continues, we'll be seriously rethinking our holiday habits.
Hi All, Yes we will still go back, we fly schedule with Jet couldnt ask for a better airline,
we go for 5mths and the price this year was £300 cheaper than last year,
we rent an appartment for £8.00 a night, we buy our fruit and veg in Mapusa and we eat out
about 3 times a week, we keep the same taxi driver because he doesnt over charge,
so yes we will still be going back, we love the people and the food.
paul
yes as long it dose not go up too much just love every thing about goa
We will be back again in January :) and yes, we will keep returning.

Have tried other winter holidays(Kenya,Thailand,Sri Lanka,Gambia etc)but each time we say..."It's not a patch on Goa".
It is a mixture of the people,food,sun,variety of eateries and value for money that does it for us. :cheers
Hmmm, not sure...

If the prices went the same way as holidays have gone for 'Euro' countries I wouldn't be able to. A few colleagues have come back from various places and what they've paid for a coffee let alone anything else is mad. :yikes
Roxey, does that mean you go because the flights are cheap though rather than choosing somewhere else?

No not at all, it really does amaze me that I can fly half way around the world and return for less than £400. yet a train journey to get me to the airport, Hereford - Manchester costs £86 or thereabouts.

I've travelled many places and enjoyed seeing new things, Goa I feel comfortable and relax immediately I am there. Apart from a blip in 07 when I made the mistake of staying in a very noisy hotel, I stay in a lovely quiet apartment which is just a short walk from the hustle and bustle of Candolim centre. The apartment is around £10 per night, meals out are incredibly cheap. I consider myself lucky to be able to have this holiday at such a low price.
If prices were on a par with Europe, yes I would still find a way to go, would certainly have to be a lot more careful with my money but I would get there. Its a hard habit to break, 16 years down the line I feel it is my second home. I wish my circumstances were such as I could spend half the year there and half in UK, sadly not, so I have my 3 weeks enjoying my R & R and then back to the real world for another 12 months
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.