Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Myself, my partner and our two year old son spent 16 nights here from 2-18 June this year with Eurocamp in a Supertent.

A few positives and a few negatives so I'll try to cover most of them -

It's very close to Roscoff ferry port so saves loads of driving in France after the ferry trip which is great when with toddlers.
Carantec is a nice quiet sleepy town with several beaches that are clean and spacious and the campsite is clean, large, and pitches are a good size for tents.

On the campsite there are play areas for children that are OK though not brilliant and not supervised so all ages tend to play there and there is a football field / play area for the Childrens reps but this runs parallel to a small stream so lots of lost balls !!

The pool area is brilliant - plenty of room - a separate childrens pool which my son loved, plenty of sunbeds and a no sho rule so very clean. The lazy river is pretty good though not as brilliant as made out in the blurb. The main pool is good - they are all quite chilly and don't seem heated.

The slides - well two were working and one wasn't - open in June for about a few hours a day and seem OK - queues are variable but there's a fair few steps up.

There is also a nice jacuzzi type pool and a sauna and plunge pool.

Now, for a few down sides. During early June when we went the camp shop was open from 8.30 - 10 am and then 4-6.30 pm - which was sort of OK as there is very little in there you can buy - no meats or fish for babrbies or the like - mainly milk, bread and tat and ice cream.

Then the bar - opened at 3pm everyday in early June - OK so here's the problem - it was pretty darn hot and by the pool from 10am to 3pm no chance at all of buying and ice cream or a cold drink as everything was shut.

The pizza bar opened at 12 ish but didn't serve drinks and had a few ice creams - not really ideal.

The pizza place itself is run by a kind of swedish chef type - the pizzas are vile and burned and the chickens are OK. Chips very expensive and all take away - no eat in place at all.

Now to noise - it's OK - most people adhere to rules and keep quiet in silent times (11pm to 8am) but noise does carry between tents at night - and just ordinary speaking noise is pretty loud !!! Oh and bear in mind in June it's about 11pm before it gets dark so toddlers won't be going to bed early !!!

All in all a good site and a good introduction to France and tent holidays. The tents are great and all you need.

Liked it a lot - loved the area - get out and explore - Morlaix, St Pol de Leon and Roscoff are all great - little village of Locquenole had a great relaxed square to while away an hour with a beer.

Any more - just give me a shout.

It really will be good despite the few downsides.
Just had to reply here. It's one of the best campsites I've stayed in on that part of France. Fab showers, fab facilities compared to the majority of sites I've stayed in over the last 10 years. It is a very modern site. There is pay-for internet access in the bar area or the library. The takeaway is ok for cooked chickens etc, but as in a lot of takeaways in campsites, they leave a lot to be desired, but it does the job if you're stuck. The slides are rather big and high, maybe more suitable for you or your partner to go down with the younger kids to get a feel for them. The pools are cool, but that is basically the climate, this year I spent a month down Vendee and when I stayed there on the way home I froze-it was the weather, not the pool. We have two younger kids and were lucky to have brought with us some wetsuits-yes the kids looked a little out of place, but people came up to us during the day and commented on how the kids weren't going around shivering and could endure a lot more fun in the pool. Big, small, medium inflatables are allowed-a lot of pools in France are restricted in this. All in all, it is a top standard campsite, very clean etc. I would check out the opening hours of things as they can change towards the end of the month of June rather than the beginning. Enjoy
Oh I should have mentioned the superbly clean toilet and wash facilities - I never went in there without seeing a cleaner - they seemed to have a cleaner 24 hrs a day !!!! Absolutely first class.

I mention the pool temeperature becasue some holiday firm literature say the pool is heated when it clearly is not (or if it is it's a very low heat !).

Don't get me wrong - it's a great site but I do have a beef about the facilities opening times.
Even when staying in tents we cram loads of ice-creams in the small freezer compartment of the fridge. Buy 3 Magnum type bars for 1 euro from the local supermarket, take out of the box and stuff them in. Can get 8-12 in plus a small ice block for the cooler for taking to the supermarket. Beats paying 2 euros for 1 magnum at the pool.
Yeh but that isn't really the point is it - do you want to be nipping back and forth to your tent to get ice creams and drinks ? I don't and I expected to see some facilities for a drink and a snack open during the day......
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.