39 independent reviews of the Butlins Holiday Park
Address: Minehead, Somerset TA24 5SH
Butlins Holiday Park
Butlins Holiday Park Location
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Minehead

Butlins Holiday Park Butlins Holiday Park is rated 3.36 out of 5 from 39 Reviews

Butlins Holiday Park Reviews

"Butlins ruined our holiday"
Paul Carnduff had a holiday at Butlins Holiday Park Hotel, Minehead, England in July 2014
2 readers found this review helpful

We booked a half board stay in silver room with 2 adults and 2 children and after staying here before on a sun holiday we booked a full price holiday and looked forward to a great week.

The circus and the entertainment was fantastic and the weather meant we could enjoy all the outdoor activities. We were disappointed with the food court dining as the food being nothing special and poorly presented. The chair backs were sticky which caused concern with cleaning standards. There was a couple of children we noticed being sick throughout our stay (Butlins have hand sanitizers everywhere) and we thought nothing of concern and the procedures for cleaning this up very efficient (have you seen Monsters inc. when the sock gets stuck on the back of the scarer...).

On our 4th day my daughter was sick ...
in the night and didn't quite make it to the toilet which we cleaned it up using our own cleaning materials and she went back to bed. In the morning she wasn't great (probably lack of sleep) and we informed guest services of what happened so they could ensure room was cleaned properly when we left but were surprised to be told that we have to leave and they would refund the remainder of the holiday but they didn't have to. They quoted one of the terms and conditions which states 'contagious diseases - should Butlins become aware, or have reasonable grounds for suspicion, that a guest has contracted a contagious disease that has the potential to infect a large number of people quickly, they and there party will be required to leave he resort...' they would not listen to any reasoning or the reason why I believed she was sick and that if it was contagious must have contracted it on holiday as been there for 4 days. They would not get a GP involved either. We left the resort 3 days early and had to travel home much to the devastation of my children. Not a surprise that none of my family or myself has become sick and my daughter was well with 24 hours.

On complaining they offered me additional activity vouchers when I next had a holiday with them but don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Make sure that you are aware of the consequences of a child or member of your party being sick and the assumptions made by guest services regarding any sickness.

I am taking this further but thanks Butlins for ruining our holiday.

Recommended: No

"Good for families, but not worth the money"
Polly Wright visited the Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead, England in August 2012
The chalets were very basic with everything you needed, and little extra. It did have a kettle with some tea and coffee. The beds were quite hard, but useable. The bathroom was okay, everything was clean and worked well. It was the half board option, and I was very disappointed with the food. Although there was a good choice, everything was of a low quality. There weren't very good veggy options. The breakfast was the same every morning, wasn't good quality and very limited veggy options with the hot food section.

John Ash stayed at Butlins Holiday Park Hotel, Minehead in June 2010
We have always booked into a static caravan at the Butlins site. the caravan park is at the back of Butlins near the lake and all the caravans have their own little space outside for the kids to play.

The caravan we stayed in was fully kitted out with everything in the kitchen, it had two toilets and a very good shower.

Our caravan was owned by Mr & Mrs Freeman www.caravanbutlins.co.uk who were very helpful and were always very nice when I had to ring them with questions.

We had all the same access to the entertainment and rides as if we had booked through Butlins and having a caravan meant that we didn\'t have to endure our neighbours tramping up and down the stairs at stupid o\'clock in the morning. I have to admit, it does make you feel a bit superior to the chalet dwellers!

Tour Operator: www.caravanbutlins.co.uk

"Total dump"
Davie had a holiday at Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead in June 2010
1 reader found this review helpful

Stopped in Minehead Butlins around 17 years ago, and wasn't too impressed with the place then with the general outdated look of everything. Last year went with friends and was even more amazed by the general untidiness of everything - everything is just old, worn out and tatty.

It would surely take a major makeover to improve that place.
As big an eyesore from the outside as it is on the inside
Truthfully speaking - a total dump.

Although Minehead itself is a nice enough place.

Recommended: No

jo stayed at Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead, England in July 2009
1 reader found this review helpful

Where do i start with this place, most staff are eastern europeans with basic or little knowledge of english.
Food was very dodgy, out of 14 of us who visited that week, roughly 6 of us became ill after the first day.
silver plus room was basic. no remote for the tv, bathroom and shower were dirty on arrival.
Entertainment was the only saving grace. there is quite alot to do for ages 3+. However we stuggled to keep our 15 month old entertained.
prices for food and drinks were average.

sarah visited the Butlins Holiday Park in March 2009
just returned from butlins in minehead. this is the second time we have been there this year so far due to some bargain deals.

the 1st time we stayed silver half board. the rooms had recently been redecorated. we had a very nice 2 bed chalet. the food was good, plenty to choose from and eat as much as you like.

the 2nd time we stayed in a gold 2 bedroom apartment. again the rooms had recently been refurbished and were to a excellent standard. we had a twin and a double bedroom with a kitchen/living room that was well equipped and a tv/dvd player.

the grounds were slowly being upgraded and has started to look very nice.

i couldnt fault the hotel staff, they were very helpful

the entertainment was great for my 2yr old. she loved all the character shows during ...
the day in the pavillion including, barney, bob the builder, pingu. the evening entertainment was good too. we watched the pantomine goldilocks, there was a cartoon network show, great for the kids. they also had the sooty show for the kids and a gunge show. i cannot comment on the entertainment that was on after these shows or the shows in the reds because i didn\'t see them due to the kids going to bed.

all in all a great holiday and value for money. and i have already booked to go back in june

Tour Operator: butlins online

Craig Harrington visited the Butlins Holiday Park Hotel in May 2008
Yes - Been to Minehead again - left a review when I visited last July and just recently returned with my 6 yr old daughter again - It was as good as ever, paid

Tour Operator: Butlins

whittlesey family had a holiday at Butlins Holiday Park Hotel, Minehead, England in February 2008
we stayed in a gold apartment which was clean,spacious and right next to the gold carpark.
we stayed halfboard so ate in the yatch club which was nice and such alot of choice to eat.
every time you visit the yatch club the girl at the desk gave you some hand gel to kill any germs before you go in and get your food which is good to see.
staff were all pleasent and love the kids.
evening entertainment was good.
we would visit again.

Tour Operator: online

Joandbeth had a holiday at Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead, England in August 2007
Very apprehensive about going due to negative reports, however not as bad as I anticipated, we took sleeping bags as I was a bit wary about the condition of the matresses and bedding but wasn\'t as bad as I anticiapted. Chalets reminded me of an army barracks, not very pleasant to look at. The dining room was very much like a school canteen, although the food was surprisingly good, the staff (mainly Polish with very little command of the English language) were very polite and helpful, but it was all very rushed due to the short time the restaurant was open. The children loved the entertainment, but I was a little concerned about health and safety as so many people were crammed into the Chico Concert that in the event of a fire it would have been ...
chaotic trying to evacuate the building. Disappointed by the amount and cost of the activities that had to be paid for, not good when your on a limited budget

Tour Operator: booked online

craig harrington visited the Butlins Holiday Park Hotel in July 2007
1 reader found this review helpful

Great! Had a standard Half Board room. It was small but clean, thats all that matters, we were only in it to sleep! Great entertainment, great kids facilities. i have a 5 year old so if shes happy i, happy, I dont go looking for faults!

Nick Burton visited the Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead in June 2007
This was the first time we have visited Butlins.
We stayed there Monday-Friday and the whole holiday was excellent.

we stayed in the gold apartments, which we found were clean, a good size and were worth paying the extra for.

The food was very good as most of it was self-service so you could have as much as you liked and there was good choice for kids and adults.

The entertainment was first class. There is everything you need in the Skyline and the shows in Centre Stage were very good.

Nikki Reeves stayed at Butlins Holiday Park Hotel in June 2007
My youngest son (1 yr) won a competition and part of the prize was a 4night break to Butlins in silver accommodation (self catering). Having never been to butlins, and this was a \'free\' holiday, we paid to upgrade to deluxe DBB.

We arrived at the resort, got keys and found what looked to be the right accommodation - rather untended (rather than rundown) low buildings, with a bulk lot of double glazed porch things on the front.

Ok - so not too worried here, thought there was another entrance, this was the only one entrance to the accommodation - the porch thing. Which opened straight into what I loosely call a lounge.

Ours was right on the end - main walkway to pretty much everywhere, and everyone could see straight into the room.... and the smell! - like old ...
cigerette smoke, really stale and made me feel claustrophobic (and I

G Rees had a holiday at Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead in October 2006
We stayed here last weekend. We booked a Silver Apartment.

Our accomodation was near the back of the resort in one of the 2 storey buildings, we were on the first floor (not the ones in rows, but similar to the 3 storey.)

We had 3 bedrooms, 1 was a double and 2 with 2 singles. The double I think had a wardrobe built in, 2 bedside cabinets and a mirror. The other 2 had hanging space and 2 shelves and 1 bedside cabinet with 2 draws. The electric point in the single bedded rooms were hidden behind the bedside cabinet. The beds were comfortable enough, with 1 pillow on each bed. (I took an extra one each for me and hubby) The duvets and bedding were clean. There wasn\'t a mirror in 2 of the bedrooms so my brother ...
unscrewed the one in the hallway and we shared that one.

The bathroom consisted of a shower, which was quite small but useable, not sure if this is the case if your really tall. ( I\'m 5 ft 8\" and I think I was about 6 inches from roof)

The living room/ kitchen had a 3 seater and a 2 seater leather settee and a normal size tv. A table with 6 beech style chairs. An electric cooker, microwave and toaster. Cutlery and crockery for 6. There were pans but we didn\'t have a frying pan (it was listed on the list inside the cupboard) but I\'m sure they\'d give us one if we went to the reception to ask. There was a pack in the kitchen with a tea towel, tiny bottle of washing up liquid, a cloth and a scourer pad thingy. There was also a full size ironing board (no iron) and a small clothes horse.

To get into the rooms they now use credit card style keys. We were issued with 2 and I asked for another and got one no problem.

It was very, very busy there with lots of hen and stag parties. It was an adult weekend. There were some sights to be seen!! The entertainment was dance music and was ok if you like that music. The Venga boys were there Friday night and Cain Dingle (Emmerdale) did a DJ slot on Friday night as well.

I think the resort looks a lot better than it has in the past.

On the way home after a night out we passed lots of discarded bottle and cans and rubbish, but this was nowhere to be seen the next day, so the cleaning teams are working hard.

Even though we were situated at the back it\'s not really that far to the entertainment (the weather was dry all weekend so we were lucky) There is a small shop just behind where we were. It was also quite quiet there in the accomodation.

We ate in the Hairy Dog pub which is in the town. Menu was good but we were dissappointed with service. I had Carbonara which to me was way too creamy. Brother and sis-in-law had to wait ages for theirs but it was lovely. Our other friend didn\'t even get hers (they forgot!!) but her hubby had a lovely meal.

We never book anything less than silver, the standards are just that, bog standard!

beth had a holiday at Butlins Holiday Park Hotel, Minehead in September 2006
We stayed in 2 silver plus bungalows, in each bungalow there were 3 bedrooms, 1 double which was a huge room with a large mirror, wardrobe and plenty of room, one twin room, and one bedroom with bunk beds and a single bed in.

The rooms were so damp we had a frog hopping around the living room. I had to clean the bathroom myself before I would let anyone use it, it was quite grimy. In the double bedroom there was a large damp batch on the ceiling in the corner.

The windows are not double glazed and rattle slightly with the wind.

The key cards only worked when they wanted to so we got caught out in the rain trying to unlock the doors.

wendy stayed at Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead, England in August 2006
We went to Butlins on a 4 night break.

It\'s 18 years since we last went there and it has changed completely - other than the accommodation which is still very basic, shabby and below standard.

There is supposed to be maid service who make the beds and empty the bins etc but the maid only made the bed once in the 4 days. Lights didn\'t work and there was only one tiny pillow on each bed, so we had to ask for more. TV had really bad picture.

Tour Operator: not applicable

Duncan stayed at Butlins Holiday Park, Minehead in August 2006
Butlins should be totally ashamed of their standards of accomadation. We booked a Silver Room with two bedrooms and we expected some degree of comfort with it not being budget. Or so we thought. The rooms stink of damp and the \'furniture\' is very old. The bedding felt damp to the touch too. We have had to wash the clothes that were not used as they came home smelling of damp after hanging in the wardrobes. Our bathroom had excrement smeared over the tiles by the toilet and the back of the bathroom door and the pokey little shower was covered in mould. Never again will we pay good money to stay at Butlins. However, the rest of the site is very clean and litter free with the gardens very well kept.

The food was ASDA cafe at best. You had ...
to beg for more than one sausage at breakfast or more than one slice of beef/turkey/chicken at dinner. You do get soft drinks included in the half board option though which was a bonus.

Butlins Minhead is located right opposite Minehead beach, which is large and sandy. The water is very warm too. It would have been nice to have been able to have hired some chairs and winbreakers but there was no one there to hire them from.

The staff are all eastern european which I found very strange. They are very un-smiling and often get in your way. YOU have to move for them and in the restaurant, when you are trying to carry a couple of trays of food, that can be very annoying. Very little english is spoken by them. The Redcoats though are all British. Some tried very very hard to keep us entertained, but some felt they were only there to tell the kids off. \"Don\'t sit there, Don\'t touch that, Don\'t do that...\" is all we heard from some of them as they laid in to the kids. They need to understand that kids get exited and are not always doing things maliciously. My two were man-handled in the queue for a photo with a band called Pop Mania as they dared to go up for a second photo each afetr having a joint one taken the first time. I was not happy and told her so too!

One thing Butlins know how to do is keep you entertained. The evening shows were fantastic with performances from Brenda and Nicolas from the X-Factor, Shaun Williamson and Nicholas Bailey (Barry and Dr Trueman from Eastenders) and a great Pantomine from Joe Pasquale. We were all very happy with the entertainment. However, very little is free at Butlins anymore. They were even charging for a 5 minute jump on a bouncy castle and the Trampolines which I felt was a touch miserly! The pools are free though with some wicked flumes to ride.

All in all, having spent

Julie stayed at Butlins Holiday Park Hotel, Minehead, England in August 2006
Based on the previous reports we were not looking forward to going. We were pleasantly surprised. We paid for Gold accommodation and judging from the other comments I think this must have been a good move.

Accommodation was clean and roomy.

We were near all facilities but it wans\'t too noisy (except for the seagulls and I don\'t think you can blame Butlins for that). The other accommodation did look a bit prison campish.

The food was fantastic. Due to being Gold we ate in the Yacht club, you had the same table every day (which was good for our young sons)and the choice and quality was amazing for dinner and breakfast. I would definitely recommend anyone to upgrade to this as the other food halls didn\'t look anywhere near as nice.

We went to the beach a few times ...
but didn\'t really like the look of the sea and things that were washed up but our boys loved playing in the sand. I did get a bit tired of the amusements in the skyline so we didn\'t spend a lot of time in there.

Our boys had their best holiday yet and we will definitely go back again, probably for 4 days rather than a week. We found the staff to be fine and if we had a problem they sorted it out quickly.

There is a lot of free entertainment but it was hard not to spend money as equally there was a lot that you had to pay for which was the only thing that we weren\'t happy about

Tour Operator: Independent

steele visited the Butlins Holiday Park in July 2006
Although we were upgraded at no cost to an apartment, the overall experience was pretty awful.

The Restaurant should be renamed the canteen, and the entertainment centre, (particularly centre stage) was sticky to the touch, that includes table tops the bar tops and the carpets. Some bleach and Mr Muscle needed urgently.

Alright for kids, and chip lovers, although the prices were very expensive, nothing free at Butlins anymore. A bottomless purse or wallet needed

Tour Operator: booked direct

Rich visited the Butlins Holiday Park in May 2006
What can I say, just come back from Butlins, and never had a worst experience.

Lets start with the cleanliness, the toilet had a spider squashed on the seat, the bath had live and dead insects(spiders,ants and flys)in it, the bed covers looked dirty, the pillows had some dark black stuff over them.

The food(if thats what you can call it), gave 3 out of 4 of us food poisoning, and it pretty hard to tell what food it was, i did have to ask on the first night.

When we got back after the dinner, outside our apartment, we had a bin back ripped outside, to which it took over 12 hours, to be moved, and when it was the soiled nappies where left outside our room for a good 4 or 5 hours longer.
on the plus point(the only one), the ...
pool was really good.

All in all, I will not be going to butlins, and prtty sure I can say that to the other 3 in our party.

Kirsty had a holiday at Butlins Holiday Park Hotel, Minehead in April 2006
I love visiting Butlins. We have fun every time we go. The rooms are really clean and the food is delicious,you can eat as much as you like.

Entertainment is great the redcoats are really talented and Butlins often have famous people there to take away an extra special memory of the holiday.

The staff are really friendly, they are never sad they are always smiling and I would definietly return. I highly recommend to everyone.