Butlins Holiday Park

• Location
Paul Carnduff
Butlins ruined our holiday
1 year 11 months ago
We booked a half board stay in silver room with 2 adults and 2 children and after staying here before on a sun holiday we booked a full price holiday and looked forward to a great week.

The circus and the entertainment was fantastic and the weather meant we could enjoy all the outdoor activities. We were disappointed with the food court dining as the food being nothing special and poorly presented. The chair backs were sticky which caused concern with cleaning standards. There was a couple of children we noticed being sick throughout our stay (Butlins have hand sanitizers everywhere) and we thought nothing of concern and the procedures for cleaning this up very efficient (have you seen Monsters inc. when the sock gets stuck on the back of the scarer...).

On our 4th day my daughter was sick in the night and didn't quite make it to the toilet which we cleaned it up using our own cleaning materials and she went back to bed. In the morning she wasn't great (probably lack of sleep) and we informed guest services of what happened so they could ensure room was cleaned properly when we left but were surprised to be told that we have to leave and they would refund the remainder of the holiday but they didn't have to. They quoted one of the terms and conditions which states 'contagious diseases - should Butlins become aware, or have reasonable grounds for suspicion, that a guest has contracted a contagious disease that has the potential to infect a large number of people quickly, they and there party will be required to leave he resort...' they would not listen to any reasoning or the reason why I believed she was sick and that if it was contagious must have contracted it on holiday as been there for 4 days. They would not get a GP involved either. We left the resort 3 days early and had to travel home much to the devastation of my children. Not a surprise that none of my family or myself has become sick and my daughter was well with 24 hours.

On complaining they offered me additional activity vouchers when I next had a holiday with them but don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Make sure that you are aware of the consequences of a child or member of your party being sick and the assumptions made by guest services regarding any sickness.

I am taking this further but thanks Butlins for ruining our holiday.
Polly Wright
Good for families, but not worth the money
3 years 10 months ago
The chalets were very basic with everything you needed, and little extra. It did have a kettle with some tea and coffee. The beds were quite hard, but useable. The bathroom was okay, everything was clean and worked well. It was the half board option, and I was very disappointed with the food. Although there was a good choice, everything was of a low quality. There weren't very good veggy options. The breakfast was the same every morning, wasn't good quality and very limited veggy options with the hot food section.
John Ash
5 years 11 months ago
We have always booked into a static caravan at the Butlins site. the caravan park is at the back of Butlins near the lake and all the caravans have their own little space outside for the kids to play.

The caravan we stayed in was fully kitted out with everything in the kitchen, it had two toilets and a very good shower.

Our caravan was owned by Mr & Mrs Freeman www.caravanbutlins.co.uk who were very helpful and were always very nice when I had to ring them with questions.

We had all the same access to the entertainment and rides as if we had booked through Butlins and having a caravan meant that we didn't have to endure our neighbours tramping up and down the stairs at stupid o'clock in the morning. I have to admit, it does make you feel a bit superior to the chalet dwellers!
Davie
Total dump
6 years ago
Stopped in Minehead Butlins around 17 years ago, and wasn't too impressed with the place then with the general outdated look of everything. Last year went with friends and was even more amazed by the general untidiness of everything - everything is just old, worn out and tatty.

It would surely take a major makeover to improve that place.
As big an eyesore from the outside as it is on the inside
Truthfully speaking - a total dump.

Although Minehead itself is a nice enough place.
Jo
6 years 10 months ago
Where do i start with this place, most staff are eastern europeans with basic or little knowledge of english.
Food was very dodgy, out of 14 of us who visited that week, roughly 6 of us became ill after the first day.
silver plus room was basic. no remote for the tv, bathroom and shower were dirty on arrival.
Entertainment was the only saving grace. there is quite alot to do for ages 3+. However we stuggled to keep our 15 month old entertained.
prices for food and drinks were average.

7 years 2 months ago
just returned from butlins in minehead. this is the second time we have been there this year so far due to some bargain deals.

the 1st time we stayed silver half board. the rooms had recently been redecorated. we had a very nice 2 bed chalet. the food was good, plenty to choose from and eat as much as you like.

the 2nd time we stayed in a gold 2 bedroom apartment. again the rooms had recently been refurbished and were to a excellent standard. we had a twin and a double bedroom with a kitchen/living room that was well equipped and a tv/dvd player.

the grounds were slowly being upgraded and has started to look very nice.

i couldnt fault the hotel staff, they were very helpful

the entertainment was great for my 2yr old. she loved all the character shows during the day in the pavillion including, barney, bob the builder, pingu. the evening entertainment was good too. we watched the pantomine goldilocks, there was a cartoon network show, great for the kids. they also had the sooty show for the kids and a gunge show. i cannot comment on the entertainment that was on after these shows or the shows in the reds because i didn't see them due to the kids going to bed.

all in all a great holiday and value for money. and i have already booked to go back in june
Craig Harrington
8 years ago
Yes - Been to Minehead again - left a review when I visited last July and just recently returned with my 6 yr old daughter again - It was as good as ever, paid
8 years 3 months ago
we stayed in a gold apartment which was clean,spacious and right next to the gold carpark.
we stayed halfboard so ate in the yatch club which was nice and such alot of choice to eat.
every time you visit the yatch club the girl at the desk gave you some hand gel to kill any germs before you go in and get your food which is good to see.
staff were all pleasent and love the kids.
evening entertainment was good.
we would visit again.
Joandbeth
8 years 9 months ago
Very apprehensive about going due to negative reports, however not as bad as I anticipated, we took sleeping bags as I was a bit wary about the condition of the matresses and bedding but wasn't as bad as I anticiapted. Chalets reminded me of an army barracks, not very pleasant to look at. The dining room was very much like a school canteen, although the food was surprisingly good, the staff (mainly Polish with very little command of the English language) were very polite and helpful, but it was all very rushed due to the short time the restaurant was open. The children loved the entertainment, but I was a little concerned about health and safety as so many people were crammed into the Chico Concert that in the event of a fire it would have been chaotic trying to evacuate the building. Disappointed by the amount and cost of the activities that had to be paid for, not good when your on a limited budget
Craig Harrington
8 years 10 months ago
Great! Had a standard Half Board room. It was small but clean, thats all that matters, we were only in it to sleep! Great entertainment, great kids facilities. i have a 5 year old so if shes happy i, happy, I dont go looking for faults!

Recommended

Looking to stay here? You can check the accommodation availability and get the best prices using the links below: