Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
I had that problem in Mallorca one year. I refused to hire a fan as was so expensive but then discoved the supermarket up the road was selling fans for about 20 euros so bought one and gave it to another holidaymaker on the last day. So might be worth looking around before you hire one.
My parents bought tiny 9 inch fans before they went away and they were very light, they only cost £5.

A few years back we did buy them in resort also.

I'd do that.

Helen
Am transferring this thread from Holiday Complaints to the Crete forum as it isn't a holiday complaint as such unless of course the brochure stated air conditioning.
Assume you mean Olympic Holidays?
They have a lot of 2 and 3 star budget, basic/traditional Greek accommodation, some of which do not have A/C. Check the brochure or web description. If it is something that you or your travel agent overlooked during the booking process you will have to take it on the chin and either buy a cheap fan or pay your accom owner.
Yep it's Olympic Holidays.
We've booked an apartment in Bali (Crete of course, not the other place) called Eva Studios. It seems to have good reviews. We'll no doubt see the size of the problem when we get there. And, believe me, we shall definitely review the place and also Olympic Holidays's attempts or otherwise to do a good job.
The web description which we read didn't mention anything about A/Cs or anything else like that - and no, we didn't have access to brochures, we were making a web booking. It also didn't mention that the air we will breathe is available and free!! It seems crazy that you have to trawl for positive information. We assumed A/C in a hot country was standard. It may be that anybody who knows Crete would know that it's not necessarily free or available - but we don't know Crete - that's why we're going there - for adventure - but not that kind of adventure!
Anyway, thanks for the fan advice, it had already crossed my mind that I could purchase a fan (perhaps) at a lower price.
I just had a look at Eva Studios and as I thought it is small 2 star - it only has 10 rooms. It must be very basic as there are no listed amenites/facilities. Even if there was A/C it would be payable locally I'm sure.

In the 6 years I have lived in Cyprus I have moved house 4 times. Only now in my 4th house do I have A/C. My point is, just because a country is hot, you can't assume that there will be A/C. BTW, I don't use my A/C as it is too expensive. Fans for us in our house! :cry
I have some friends who went to an expensive villa in Cyprus last year and despite there being air conditioning they had to pay a daily amount for the use of it. Can't remember how much but it was substantial.

Sue
An additional cost for aircon I can fully understand, it costs a fortune to run!
Fans aren't so bad though (that's why I'm sitting in front of mine!), but the hire cost mentioned is ridiculous, best to buy one & leave it behind, or hire locally, not from the tour operator!
This is one of the area's where we all learn by our mistakes. Having once stayed in an apartment without AC we vowed never again. Even when we go to the Algarve in June it's not always necessary to have AC due to the cool winds of an evening we still only book accommodation with AC - just incase it's needed for day times.

We have, years ago, took our own fan with us in the suitcase. It dismantled/assembled easily enough and we stood it on the table between the beds on oscillate, & praying for our turn soon for the fan ;)
As a regular visitor to Western Crete I cannot imagine a night without air-conditioning during July and August.....fine after that. All fans do is move warm air around the room. In Jul/Aug the night temperature is usually about 25-28 degrees. You really do need to cool the air , not just move it. A holiday is for most the highlight of the year. Why skimp on comfort for the sake of 60-70 euros a week? Go on treat yourself and have a great holiday where you sleep at night and don't have to get up for work in the morning. Proper air-conditioning also keeps the mosquitos out!
i have just returned from crete , and the apartments we stayed in charged 6euros a night for air conditioning , we have never used it in any hotels we have stayed in whether its free or not , i do not like the noise it makes , we left the windows open .
we go to Greece, Cyprus,Spain,Portugal at least 3 times a year [and even twice to Turkey] been in temps from 16 to 44 deg Never used Air-conditioning I ind it drys my eyes and throat something chronic, strategic use of doors and windows has always worked for us

wiz
We returned from the Irilena apartments Stalis on 19th August and found the air conditioning an absolute must.

We spent the first night without it and, as we were on the ground floor and didn't feel confident about leaving the windows open, we felt like we were slowly cooking!

They charge 8 euros by the day - 40 euros for 1 week and 60 euros for two so definitely worth taking a full package in peak season rather than deciding daily whether you'll need it or not. We certainly had our money's worth!
Just back from Crete, small studio no aircon but thanks to all advice took a small fan which helped very oppressive even with fan. I would possibly think about a hotel with BB which would have aircon included. It was Hot! Hot! Hot! but thanks to every one for their advice. If you don't want to be suffocated especially in July?august a fan is a must a aircon a big plus. It depends on how much you think it is worth the extra comfort.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.