Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
How much
8 Posts
Hi gizmo,

It very much depends on where you are going - prices in the resorts tend to bear little relationship to real Bularian prices.

In real Bugarian cities, a very decent bottle of wine can be bought in a supermarket from about 4/5 Leva (£1.60-£2.00), with many cheaper ones like Mecha Krav (Bear's Blood) or Sophia being available for less than 2 leva (80p), with 500ml bottles of beer, such as Kamenitza, being around 67-70 Stotinki (27-29p). In the resorts, this can translate to anywhere from 1 Lev to 7 Leva for 500ml beer and 10 Leva plus for a bottle of cheap wine.

I had a three-course lunch in Dobrich last week, soup followed by chicken & rice with a creme caramel dessert and a glass of ayrian (youghurt-based drink) for 4.50 Leva - probably at least 10-15 Leva in the resorts.

In general, in the resorts, the closer that you are to the beach, the more you will pay.

You will find posts on the board giving some resort prices this year, if you use the 'Search' function at the top of the page.

Baldur
hi gizmo
the wife and i are also going to bulgira next week and was thinking the same thing how much everything would be ,does the resort get cheaper at the end of the season?
Hi coodun,

From my own observations of Albena, Golden Sands and Sveti Konstantin i Elena, as well as Bulgarian press/TV reports, the numbers of holidaymakers in the Bulgarian resorts this year have been pretty disastrous - quoted as being 30% down on last year (which was not a good year itself, at least as far as Albena was concerned), so there are unlikely to be many reductions as far as food & drinks are concerned as the restaurants, bars, etc., usually have to pay a premium for their concessions to the resort management companies.

You may find reductions if shopping for souvenirs/gifts, etc., in the resorts, where shops/stalls may be trying to offload unsold stock before the end of the season.

Baldur
Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry I should have said that it is to Sunny Beach I am going so I suppose that will be more expensive. I am really looking forward to it. I went to Turkey in the summer and spend an absolute fortune. On average we were spending £60.00 a night and that was just a couple of cocktails and beers along with our meal, so hopefully it will come in under that.
Hi gizmo,
I should have said that it is to Sunny Beach I am going so I suppose that will be more expensive. I am really looking forward to it. I went to Turkey in the summer and spend an absolute fortune. On average we were spending £60.00 a night

£60 is around 146.35 Leva at today's cash exchange rate in a Bulgarian high street bank - even in the resorts, you'd have to eat & drink A LOT to spend that sort of amount on a meal & drinks for two. ;)

Many bars & hotels in Sunny Beach usually operate on a 'two for the price of one' drinks tarrif in the evening (on local beer/wine/cocktails) which should reduce your expenditure.

For restaurants where prices are closer to 'normal' Bulgarian prices than those near the beach, use the 'search' function at the top of this page and search for 'Djanny's', which will bring up about 27 posts, and 'Condor', which will bring up around 90 posts.

Baldur
Hi gizmo
As Baldur has already said it depends where you eat and drink. You can pay 4lev for a pint of local beer on the front but further back towards the market area there are loads of places selling at 1lev. The cheaper we found was 0.79 and 0.89 at Malina and Maverick next door.These at opposite the Kuban on Artist Street.
The cheapest and good resturants are as already mentioned as Condor ,Djannys also Iris (by the main bus station) and Kokiche (just beyond Djannys). All these restaurants are used by the local Bulgarians. We had a meal for four in Kokiche, salads, garlic bread (to die for) main courses, 3 large rakia, small beer and a good bottle of red wine for 65lev. At one of the restaurants on the beach we paid 55.70lev for 2 beers and 2 main course.
You will probably find that restaurant prices are the same as all season but even last week the shops were starting to mark down 30% and 50% discount in preparation for the end of the season.
Hope you have a great time.
as a newcomer has been asking about prices I thought this thread was worth reviving. Obviously things change from season to season but at least this thread will give a guide. Anyone else want to add any prices they remember? :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.