Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
£2,500 for 2 weeks self catering :o .that seems a bit steep to me.did the travel agent see you coming
I cant believe you didnt enjoy menorca!We went to cala n bosch 2 years ago and are going back in 9 days time. It is fantastic. I used to be a travel agent and £2500 for self catering is really expensive. I have booked all mine seperately on the internet for the 4* macarella apartments and it has only cost me 1400 including extra legroom cabin on monarch, plus a car for the full duration! I didnt find menorca particularly cheap, but I didnt think it was expensive either, and we always eat out.Plus we never had a bad meal in our whole 2 weeks last time. Think maybe you picked the wrong resort??
I to am amazed that someone did'nt enjoy Menorca we have had lots of wonderful holidays there.I think since the euro came in a lot of spain now seems expensive but nomore expensive than eating out at home.I'm so sorry you did'nt enjoy it and in summer you need those winds to cool it down.
Sue
I have to agree with peter and sue too. I cant believe it cost you so much and it is a sham you did not enjoy the island.

I find the cost of food just as expensive as the UK and sometimes cheaper. We stayed in Santo Tomas and are returning again thsi year and will again next year. We love it (family of four two kids).

I think bad weather does always make things appear to be much worse than they really are, so that was a shame you did not get lots of sum. As for the wind, it is very much appreciated in July and August!

Maybe try another resort, you never know?
Just got back and thought it was great other than weather for three days which was a shock after three wonderful days

Flights to Stansted were on time although Menorca airport was a bit of a shambles with people checking in to Manchester on same desk as us.

I would go back for sure - we got a last minute deal in NW of Island at Cala Bosch very quiet clean and worth a visit

Love the colour of the sea and the glass bottom boats from Cala'n Bosch to the deserted beaches and warm seas - fantastic

This area is quiet and a short walk from brilliant beach and the harbour where there are a few shops and stalls and loads of excellent restaurants.

Even though all 20 /Bungaows/Villas were full when we were there you wouldn't know it so quiet always a sun bed available.

Found the quality of food varied but once you knew the best restaurants everything was OK
We love Menorca, and are going back next week. for two of us to stay half board for 12 nightsand flights it costs under a grand. We have been many times and agree since the euro came in things are more expensive,but would rather pay Menorca prices than take a gamble on a cheap deal that could turn into the holiday from hell.
WELL we wont be going back and i only spent £738 for the 3 of us half board in hotel almirante farragutt hotel great they even upgraded us to full board for nothing well done direct holidays. resort crap i can get beer at home cheaper than i was paying for the local stuff over there still spent £500 and that was no food spent less in alcudia last year and we were self cattering :( :( :(
That's why we never go self catering, always ends up more when you add your meals in..we have just payed £1400 for two weeks HB .Thats two adults one child and one infant..
What a pity some people did not enjoy Menorca because of the weather and the cost.But being realistic if 2 adults and 2 children eat at a restaurant in the UK they can expect to pay at least £35 to £45 including drinks.Perhaps it's the prices on Menorca that deter the lager louts.Anyway we love the place and are going back for the 8th time 3 weeks tomorrow.Can't wait!
I do think bad weather can give you a bad impression of a place. We went last 2 weeks July a couple of years ago (2003?) and they were having a heatwave, and came back having had a brilliant time.

However I must agree on the prices I think it is the most expensive place I have been too in recent years, with basic meals very similar to that detailed by slatkins39, for 2 adults and 2 kids costing 65 Euros. :shock:
We hired a car and ate all over the Island and it didn't seem to vary much. Athough we didn't have a bad meal, the food is not gourmet. Quite a few restuarants with those laminated menus with photos of fry-ups ( probably best avoided). :yuck

Spent at least as much as slatkins and that was 3 years ago. :shock:

Great Island :D Shame about the prices. :(
  • Edited by doe 2006-06-04 17:32:59
I should clarify that the £2,500 inc 5 star accom, car hire full 2 weeks, flights and airport parking / transfers.
The 5 star accom i.e. insotel punta prima was nice, but not 5 star which has been commented on in this forum.

I knew I'd get lots of replies on how wonderful Menorca is, but it's only my opinion and thought I should give the "other not so wonderful side" to Menorca.

Yes! the weather didn't help and it was expensive, but I've tried to get past that. Basically, I think the Euro has ruined many local European destinations as costs have risen.

I also, believe that for £2,500 Menorca is not good value FACT!!!
You say that you think your holiday was expensive, but you were in 5 star accomodation. If you wanted 3 or 4 star prices then you should have booked a 3 or 4 star hotel. There are plenty to choose from. As for the weather spoiling your holiday, if you were in Majorca, Ibiza or probably the mainland, the weather would probably be similar at that time. I know that bad weather can really spoil a holiday, but you must have been very unlucky, as usually the weather in Minorca is fantastic, and the gentle breeze is always very welcome to the majority of people. I don't really know why people comment on the weather in their reviews, as anyone can have bad weather anywhere at any time, and it does not have any reflection on the accomodation or resort. The prices you quoted for food seem about average to me, but I suppose they vary a little between resorts.
well im going to menorca for the first time in july and i cant wait :hyper :hyper :hyper i have to say thats the first negative thing ive heard about the island sorry you didnt enjoy it.

fizz xx
got back from calan bosch a week ago and i must say its a fantastic place, we went all inclusive and it cost £995 for 2 adults and 2 children for 1 week. We all had a fantastic time, and we will go again
:o :D
We went for the first time in 2004. I have always vowed never to go back to a country twice, but guess what I have just booked a villa with private pool and with a car and (upgraded it) for £1400.00 which I think is fantastic.(7 days)

We found the first time we went that often restaurants have a set menu for approx 10 euro's for adultst's it's worth asking, we also found that if you are self catering and don't buy the English food in the supermarkets, ie tins of tuna just because it was written in English the price was nealy double, we found it quite fun trying to work out what was in the can's to be honest it was not difficult.

Personally I think a holiday is a cheap or as expensive as you make it.
We too have found it more expensive since the euro, but hey..........we are on holiday, I think its worth every penny not to cook and load and unload the dishwasher!!!
The prices have gone up drastically in the last few years. The shoe factories used to do really cheap shoes but now they are about 80/90 euros upwards which is not cheap at all!! They do have some 'sale' items but they were awful!

We found eating out expensive too - especially the restaurants around the harbour in Mahon and also at Fornells.

We always go half board so that the price of food is covered and often have snacks for lunch. A three course breakfast usually means you don't need a large lunch - and with a three/four course dinner I managed to put on half a stone in two weeks!

Prices are now very similar to that at home and I no longer buy as much stuff as I used to - but I love the place and you hardly ever find 'yobs' or 'lager louts' so for me it is a small price to pay!
We went to cala n forcat a couple of years back and it was scorching hot, the food in the resort was inexpensive, we were in majorca a couple of weeks ago and although it was hot there was a strong breeze for a couple of days and just one rainy day ( but you cant blame the island for that).
I did find Menorca a bit boring though with things a little more relaxed than majorca but i would go back if i just wanted to sunbathe for a week.
I have been to menorca three times staying in the resort of cala blanca in a s/c villa with pool. had great relaxing holiday. Hired car and explored island which was lovely and green and not at all built up. Lovely beaches and people really friendly. The harbour at ciudadela is lovely at night . Think will go back asap.......
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.