Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
smoking ban
52 Posts
Yes it is true, there is now a smoking ban in turkey. I haven't been since they introduced the ban so I'm not too sure how it is enforced.
Yes, it was introduced earlier this year. When we went to Olu Deniz in May, the First Choice rep was stressing it and sure enough it did seem to apply everywhere indoors. Good for us non-smokers - bad for the smokers I guess! It is just the same as here now.
i can not understand was not inforced in marmaris in may .though airport was,xx jan
We went at the end of May and I think it had only been in force a week or two. Were you there in early May?
The ban comes into effect next July 2009. There was no evidence of any problems this year except for the airport and you cannot smoke in the CIP Lounge either. Most bars will not be affected because they nearly all have outside space. We came back 7th July.
I came back on 30th May 2008 and was told that if i wanted a ciggy i had to pay 11lira in the CIP lounge
mehmeh1,we were there 19th may till 7th june and never noticed a ban xxx jan
Well First Choice definitely thought the ban had started. They told us on the transfer bus and there was a big notice up on their notice board in reception warning of big fines! Lykia World dining room seemed to have no-smoking signs everywhere. Maybe chelsea boy or bryn who live there can advise.
Ban in bars, cafes and restaurants to be implemented next year, July 19, 2009.
I'm a non smoker so it really doesn't bother me either way. However, is this the British (and other countries) holiday companies putting pressure on the hoteliers and bar owners, or is it due to the possibility of Turkey entering the EU?
It's a political Decision from the Turkish goverment nothing else.
May 19, those who smoke in no-smoking areas are fined 62 YTL, those who throw their cigarette butts on the ground are fined 23 YTL and owners of businesses that allow smoking even though it is banned face a fine of YTL 5,000.

Smoking will be banned in enclosed public spaces and buildings, including government facilities, sporting venues, shopping malls and public transport. Hotels will be required to designate rooms and areas for smokers. The move has been prompted by a combination of public health concerns and a desire to bring Turkish law into line with European practices. Premises that allow patrons to smoke could face fines.

A ban on lighting up in bars, restaurants and coffeehouses will be implemented next year.
Thanks caretta! Looks like we were all right then! :) Part of the new rules apply this year and part next year.
We have just come back from marmaris and the hotel we stayed in was non smoking inside the foyer or in the rooms.
if you cant smoke in the rooms, can you smoke on the balconies? :think
You can in other countries Mitchell so probably yes. I would still smoke on the balcony. I agree with it 100% where people are eating and where children are but i draw(no pun intended) the line at not being able to have a cig outside on what is basically MY balcony when im away, obviously making sure that the doors/windows are closed so no smoke can drift inside and disposing of the ends properly.
We went to the Larespark in May, It is completely non-smoking, although smoking is allowed on the balconies, and outside of course. I thought it might of been difficult to implement this smoking ban - due to the different nationalities that use the hotel (don't know if Russia, for instance, has a smoking ban at home) but there was never a problem.....
denny
i work in a restaurant in this country and have done so for 10 years and the smoking ban is a godsend to me.... was seroiusly getting worried about passive smoking in the end.

But i think smoking outdoors and on balonies should defo be allowed
Hi All,

Just back from Lykia World and there was a smoking ban in place, in the village restuarant you can smoke on the side near to the residence side ( terrace area ). in the residence rooms ash trays had been removed but when we asked they supplied one but could only smoke on the balconey,

no issues smoking outside expect at the childrens paradise park - smoking only on the grass areas.

Dalaman airport - completely NO SMOKING

duty free cig prices - B & H £89 at gatwick - £79 at Dalaman airport
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.