UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
BBC Studios Tour. Wimbledon Museum ??
Docklands or maybe smething going on at the 02 Helen
Sorry can't be specific but there seems to be a lot of info and various links here - http://www.timeout.com/london/
A guided walk? We went on the Jewels of the East one with Green City Walks and it was excellent. There were only 3 of us on it, and we were amazed at how close to the hurly burly of London life you can find peaceful and lovely places.London Walks has more choice and some of them look very interesting.
Greenwich is missed by a lot of visitors - well worth a visit for the Observatory (free entry), the park and the market in the centre. Easily reached by Docklands railway. A trip back to Westminster on the river is also worthwhile.
Thanks everyone. Will have a look at your suggestions.
Daveyjp's suggestion of visiting Greenwich is good.
I spent a day in London at the beginning of September and wanted to do something different or something I hadn't seen or done for many years (I lived and worked in London 45yrs ago) and realised I hadn't been down the river since lots of areas had been renovated. I took a boat cruise to the Thames Barrier, the boat stopped at Greenwich going and coming back . So I hopped of the boat at Greenwich and spent an hour or so there then got on a later boat back to the Embankment. It took quite a few hours in total. I was lucky with the weather I think it was one of the hottest days of the year and I sat on the top in the sunshine. There was a live commentary from one of the staff and I really enjoyed the cruise. If you don't want to go all the way to the barrier there is a river cat service that stops at various places either side of the river. It will probably be too cold to sit outside on the boats but will still be worth doing.
You said you wanted something a little bit different. I saw this on the news yesterday and it's certainly that! http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/oct/12/tate-modern-turbine-hall-balka
Don't think I'll be going there Roseweb :D . Judith I like the sound of that trip especially if its a nice day. After speaking to colleagues today I think I'll be giving the dungeons a miss too. I quite fancy a trip to Islington, which I believe has many little antique shops, which hubby & I would both enjoy.
Are you still thinking of getting hubby the A rsenal stadium tour Helen . If so I think you might enjoy a browse along upper street and then maybe lunch or Even dinner . It's supposed to be very nice , better towards the Angel end with lots of nice little shops, antique market and little bars ,coffee shops and restuarants. Very hip and trendy frm what I'm told :)
http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/islingtn/is_intro.htm

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/upper-street--islington.php

My god .looks like theres loads there to keep you going for a day at least .
We went to the Absolute Ice Bar in London last weekend. We also did the boat trip down to Greenwich and wish we'd had time to explore it more.
Thanks for that both. Where is the Ice Bar please? No Lyn I decided to tell hubby about it, & he said he'd prefer to go and see an actual game - so that's another trip then :tup
The ice bar is in Heddon Street just off Regents Street on the apple store side of the street towards piccaddilly end. You need to prebook or they have just a normal bar for you.
Can't you just call in for a drink, if you don't want a meal?
If you want just a drink you can call in but if you want to experience the actual ice bar it's best to prebook. They have a normal bar, a restaurant and an ice bar. But the ice bar is usually busy by prebookings.
Well we walked far more this time than we have ever done before in London. We went to the British War Museum for the 1st time & spent more than 4 hours there. There was so much to see the time flew. We also went to the National Art Gallery - hadn't been here before either, & was very impressed. We visited Covent Garden, & watched the preparations for the Michael Jackson premiere in Leicester Square. We didn't manage to get to Islington, as there was problems on the tube when we wanted to go. The show Blood Brothers was excellent, & I would thoroughly recommend seeing it if you get a chance. Mel from the Spice Girls was making her debut the night we saw it, so I was a bit apprehensive - however she was fantastic.
Camden Market, Sundays... once you get past the tack, the stalls at Camden Lock are quite interesting
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.