Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
We took a mixture of both & found this ideal. Just be careful when converting the currencies.
pesos- you will get a very poor exchange rate at the shops using $
When we went to Cancun we opted for the pesos, it does work out far cheaper with local currency actually where ever you go you will get better deals with the countrys own currency. Even though Cancun is set up for the Americans and loads go there, thats why $$$$$ are used also but our exchange rate against the $$$ is poor at the moment, so pesos is the way to go.

Angie.
You can sometimes be better off taking Sterling to Cancun and changing it to peso's once you get there. Just make sure it is English notes as Scotland and Northern Ireland are on different planets so these note dont get taken. I have done this the last 2 years in Cuba and Egypt and been far better off.
We have recently returned from Playacar and were glad we took pesos. The dollar rate you get in shops varies between 10 and 12 pesos but in reality it is nearly 14. Taxis also are 10 pesos to the dollar ($5 or 50 pesos to playacar from Playa del carmen saving £1 per trip approximately) so you can save quite a bit by taking pesos.

Cheers

Keith
- you can save even more on taxis if you don't mix the currencies up like I did. I gave a £27 tip for a £3 journey :rofl :rofl - It wasn't funny at the time :rofl
hi,
its quite a few years,since we were last in mexico & cannot remember,what currency we took.
which,is the better one,to take?
i can certainly remember,items being priced in dollars,but our last visit was 2000.
thanks in advance
tracy
tracy,

Have a look at this thread discussing pesos and dollars.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131155

Angie.
Hi Tracy :wave:

All the info you need regarding currency can be found in this stick topic :tup

Have a great holiday
Graham
thank you!
i think,we will take pesos.
thanks for your help :)
tracy
we went in sept and took £100 in pesos to last a few days until we found our feet the rest in sterling which we then changed as and when we needed.
Hi, I have read and digested the advice given and have one question, Airport exit tax is shown as $50 - $60 per person, no mention of Peso's.

Your thoughts :think
Hi joe3400

You can pay your departure tax with pesos.

Angie
we paid 500 pesos each,at the beginning,of nov.
tracy
Thanks for that, last time we went 2005 we took Dollars, due to the current world financial climate I have decided to take Pesos.

Once again Cheers :)

Joe
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.